It is currently 26 Jul 2021, 12:10

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Dec 2018, 21:29 • #1 
Sport
Hi all. I'm new to this forum but am loving it so far. I recently posted in the "wanted" section about looking for original yellow Scott PowR Ply era glass rods. One of you awesome forum members directed me to a vintage tackle dealer in FL earlier this morning and after a couple phone calls and early-on dashed hope and broken dreams (another buyer beat me to the punch), I had given up. Then, my phone rang at 2PM this afternoon and the tackle dealer let me know that the original buyer backed out, and I was next in line. I hit the fly rod lottery, hah!

I'm now the proud owner of 2 - yes 2 - vintage Scott glass rods. I have a (2 7/8 oz) F75 - 7'6", 4-piece 5wt with gold anodized slide-band reel seat and a F84 - 8'4", 2-piece 5wt with a rose gold anodized slide-band reel seat, now in my collection, both in their original tubes. I would love some more info on these rods if anyone out there has any they could share. I'll try to post photos... we'll see. Looks like it won't let me do it from my iPad. May have to upload them later when I get back to my computer. I'm currently traveling.

Is there a gouge on interpreting serial numbers? The serial number "looks" like 73-775, as best I can tell but the first digits have almost completely worn off of the 4-piece rod, but I hope there's enough left of it to be helpful with dating it, etc. The 8'4" rod has a serial number of K84-2099.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post 30 Dec 2018, 06:20 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Nice!
Can you post some pictures of your rods?

Post 30 Dec 2018, 09:20 • #3 
Master Guide
I have an f84. It's a decent rod. The k in the serial number means it was a kit rod.

Post 30 Dec 2018, 12:48 • #4 
Sport
Hopefully this works for photos...

Post 31 Dec 2018, 09:32 • #5 
Sport
novisor12 wrote:
I have an f84. It's a decent rod. The k in the serial number means it was a kit rod.

Thanks for this info! That makes sense. The wraps and epoxy on this rod are not what I would call "Scott quality" and the threads are a different color on the upper half of the rod than on the lower section, so I can see how it would have been a kit rod. Looks like the writing may have still been done by Harry Wilson, and possibly the grip too.

Post 31 Dec 2018, 09:52 • #6 
Global Moderator
Someone may remember--I don't although I knew a guy who built a Scott kit rod and saw it from the start as he worked on it--what state of finish the kits were supplied in. I think they may have been "labeled"/marked so they would have had HW's writing, and they may have been supplied with the grip and/or reel seat installed. Pretty sure these were packaged up from a very lean inventory as they were ordered.

Another dusty adventure in the attic I am not up for, even knowing I have FFM with advertisements--small ones in the back pages--for Scott 'glass. Somebody will have better detail anyhow.

Post 06 Jan 2021, 19:57 • #7 
Sport
whrlpool wrote:
Someone may remember--I don't although I knew a guy who built a Scott kit rod and saw it from the start as he worked on it--what state of finish the kits were supplied in. I think they may have been "labeled"/marked so they would have had HW's writing, and they may have been supplied with the grip and/or reel seat installed. Pretty sure these were packaged up from a very lean inventory as they were ordered.

Another dusty adventure in the attic I am not up for, even knowing I have FFM with advertisements--small ones in the back pages--for Scott 'glass. Somebody will have better detail anyhow.

whrlpool - if you happen to find one of those vintage Scott ads in the back of your old FFM stash, I'd be interested in acquiring a copy or two, if that's something of interest!

Post 08 Jan 2021, 12:10 • #8 
Guide
Kits had grips and reel seats installed and were inscribed with model and a serial number that began with K. A set of guides and a spacing chart were included. They went through production the same as finished rods but were pulled as needed before being wrapped.

New Topic Add Reply