It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:43

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Dec 2018, 08:49 • #1 
Master Guide
https://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing ... s?slotId=2

Just in case you wanted one. I’ve already got two and tempted to pickup a third.

Post 03 Dec 2018, 09:00 • #2 
Piscator
thanks for the heads up.
Goggle-ing this rod turns up a cult following on every coast.

Post 03 Dec 2018, 10:30 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
We found 3 in the Oklahoma City Cabela's a month or so ago, but I don't know if that was just some remaining old stock or new, At that time, the Cabela's website was not showing the 7/8 rods. My buddy Kurt grabbed one, even though he wasn't sure when he would ever use it. However, he is involved in scouting, so he's up on "be prepared".

Post 03 Dec 2018, 13:18 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I have the 5'9 3wt.Only bought cause it was 20 dollars and the 6' 3wt prime was 24,99.Wish i would have bought the 7/8 or 3 of them at the close out price.A 7'6 8wt is intriguing .The 5'9 seems really kind of flimsy.Saving for my grandsons.I have not cast it and frankly i forgot i had it.

Post 03 Dec 2018, 15:30 • #5 
Master Guide
The 5'9" is indeed full working, pretty nice for short cast though and 6 to 12 inch brookies. It is meant for small small streams and that's it. A rather fun rod in the right place and inexpensive too.

Post 03 Dec 2018, 15:38 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
a cult following on every coast.

Why is that? What makes it special ?

Post 03 Dec 2018, 16:59 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
rsagebrush wrote:
The 5'9" is indeed full working, pretty nice for short cast though and 6 to 12 inch brookies. It is meant for small small streams and that's it. A rather fun rod in the right place and inexpensive too.

I didn't mean the blank was flimsy,more the components, I knew it was a soft slow rod.The grip is tiny and i think will be perfect for a 6yo hands.I bought the 6' 3wt prime at the same time,A much nicer stick although 1 piece.It was 4.99 more.But it was marked down from 90 something.Will have to check out the 7/8.

Post 03 Dec 2018, 18:19 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Trev wrote:

Why is that? What makes it special ?

I have a perfect spot for mine. A small stream cut into an old lakebed, with vertical mud banks full of thorn bushes. You can't wade a lot of it so I float down in a tube, and pinball from bank to bank. The fish are big and like beadhead streamers.

That rod is cheap enough that I don't worry about it going overboard. When I hang up in the thorns I often snap off as I float past, without breaking the rod. A few times a trip I get run into the bank and bend it double. I do lots of short roll casts and that short but deep flexing 7wt rod works great tossing out the heavy bugs without much line flailing.. My favorite CGR.

Post 03 Dec 2018, 18:51 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I like a rod that roll casts better than it back casts and flex to the grip seems to be essential to that, ime, but the CGRs didn't seem (in store wobble test) heavy enough to have much umph.
maybe I try one

Post 03 Dec 2018, 19:21 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Trev wrote:
Why is that?
They're cheap.

Trev wrote:
What makes it special ?
Just my opinion, but nothing.

The CGRs have lots of fans here and I think that's great. Nothing better than finding an inexpensive rod that you like. But before you (the OP) plunk down $70 plus tax, just thought I'd mention that the CGRs are not universally loved. I bought, tried and returned a couple, and wasn't tempted to reconsider my decision even when they were on sale for something ridiculous like $30. Cabela's does have a pretty liberal return policy so not much to lose by trying one, but to me, especially in the higher weights, spending a bit more for a Fenwick or some other vintage rod is the better way to go. But as I said lots of people love the CGRs and you may too.

Post 03 Dec 2018, 20:42 • #11 
Piscator
People who have tried and reported many rods in the range usually find the 7/8 noteworthy.
It's a pretty good configuration, progressive taper - show me any other rod out there in this configuration - it's singular.
(It also happens to be the subject of this thread.)
It's reported to shine with both 7- and 8-wt rocket tapers, making it pretty perfect for redfish and bass fishing.
They're fishing them for stripers in the NE and for steelhead in the PNW.

I grabbed one. I was looking for one not long after they sold out, and hunted down my 8' Harnell 7-wt because I went looking and couldn't find one. The Harnell is a good rod, but I'm looking forward to trying the CGR 7/8 in the same spot.

People who take exception with the rod say it won't carry a long belly in the air, but if you're fishing a long-belly, should be fishing your 9' graphite anyway.
Where this rod should shine is quick, close presentation with good control, handling short line lengths, and quick out of the gate with minimum false casting.
If you're fishing from a kayak, 9' fly rods are pretty much moot, especially para taper rods, such as RPLX - those rods along with long belly lines are for standing up, wading or shooting long casts from the deck of your Hewes. Using our kayaks for taxis to wading water works quite well, but it's also nice to be able to present to fish sign on the spur of the moment.
Carp fishermen also like it.
On the Texas Kayak Fisherman forum, it's become the standard recommendation for anyone who wants to try fly fishing for bass or redfish from their boat.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 03 Dec 2018, 20:52, edited 5 times in total.

Post 03 Dec 2018, 20:43 • #12 
Master Guide
The 7/8 weight CGR is by far my favorite redfish stalking and Largemouth Bass rod. It’s such a pleasure to cast and fish, in a variety of situations and water. I give the 7/8 weight CGR a lot of credit for why I’ve enjoyed fly fishing as much as I do.

Post 03 Dec 2018, 20:54 • #13 
Guide
Is the 7/8 less bouncy or floppy than the others in the series? That's what I didn't like about the other ones I tried (the 2, 3 and 4/5). Granted I do like a little crispness in a rod, so I don't just use glass. I was eyeing the 7/8 for the reds out of a kayak scenario, but I thought it might be like the other CGRs. So I built an 8' other kind of rod... I like it but it's still a bit stiff for the really close shots. If the 7/8 works for that plus the occasional long shot, maybe I'll look at it again. Of course I was also wanting to build it myself so that also made a finished rod less attractive.

Post 03 Dec 2018, 21:23 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Cabela's seems to have hit it with this value priced line of rods, the 7/8 in particular. All at once, it gives newer fly anglers multiple virtues to discover: progressive action, relatively "short" for today's norms, fiberglass, and best of all, the 7 weight line, backed up by the 8. Rods of similar type were once common, and it's fun to see a contemporary product showing why again.

Post 03 Dec 2018, 21:49 • #15 
Guide
I really want it to be my tide pool rockfish and greenling rod, but for whatever reason I can never seem to hit a favorable tide. In theory it's perfect for tide pools and rocky surf, for the the same reasons it's a great bass rod. Hopefully I'll be able to get a good report in sometime.

Post 03 Dec 2018, 21:53 • #16 
Master Guide
I’m probably the worst one on this board for evaluating a rod, especially a fiberglass one. I fish the inshore water with the slow CGR or the ultra fast G.Loomis Short Stix. Noodles or broomsticks, nothing in between. The only other fiberglass fly rod I’ve cast in recent history is the maxcatch 8’ 5 weight. It is definitely not anything like a noodle or like any of the CGRs.

I feel like the CGR is good short, medium or long. I have to work harder at it when it’s windy and that’s when I pick up the Short Stix. The Short Stix, being 7’6”, is actually pretty good at short range, but I like the deep bend of the CGR better for easy, relaxed casting and fish handling abilities.

Everyone is different with different tastes and needs. I can only vouch for my love of the 7/8 weight CGR. I can understand how many might despise the rod. Different strokes for different folks.

Post 04 Dec 2018, 00:17 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:

Where this rod should shine is quick, close presentation with good control, handling short line lengths, and quick out of the gate with minimum false casting.

That's exactly what I was trying to describe. I come floating around a corner in my tube, and there is a cut-bank hole. I can flip a wooly bugger in there before I float up and spook 'em. No involved casting, just need to get the line rolling over there. That rod is great for that sort of stuff.

Post 04 Dec 2018, 09:24 • #18 
Piscator
People get hung up on distance casting. It has its place, but taking your cannon to a leader-only-cast event is bringing the wrong tool.

Gaultheria wrote:
I really want it to be my tide pool rockfish and greenling rod, but for whatever reason I can never seem to hit a favorable tide. In theory it's perfect for tide pools and rocky surf, for the the same reasons it's a great bass rod. Hopefully I'll be able to get a good report in sometime.
A bit off topic, but apropos to this wish.
A TKF member responded in humility after people on all the local forums posted links and commented on his YouTube video - he caught a sailfish from his kayak.
Dues all paid up.

Post 05 Dec 2018, 14:02 • #19 
Piscator
busy morning and still going - set up a new Trout in the Classroom tank this morning at St. Mary's Hall.
turns out they didn't need the stand, so I have one for next year.
Help from administrators
help from students
help from student sponsor and GRTU student rep
the old guy who drove the truck
everyone's happy, Jake's dad, who's our chapter Secretary and a major footwork provider for me, and Dr. Holbrook's aquatic science class

have another errand to run, delivering a chiller to JHS aquatic science classroom this afternoon (my daughter's alma mater)

But home for my breather and lunch, my CGR 7/8 was waiting for me. Policing done, put it together and driveway cast, back-cast over the fence, forward cast over the pop-up into the bushes.
I dig this rod.
It's much quicker out of the gate than my Harnell - handles leader alone and drags line out effortlessly.
Yes, it flexes everywhere, but loads instantly, and I'd call it a pocket rocket.

Randy, I wasn't in a place to shoot line, but I got no sense of bounce, and it sure handles line in the air.
For sitting in a kayak and instantly responding to fish sign, seems pretty perfect.

Post 05 Dec 2018, 14:14 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the report BD.I will wait until they are on sale and snag 1 or 2.Not that i dispute anyone else's claims on here but we seem to like a some of the same rods.Which line wt?7 or 8?Nice job on the fish in schools project by the way.

Post 05 Dec 2018, 14:19 • #21 
Piscator
thanks, I grabbed my Valentine with 7-wt slime line spooled up, so short, fat leader - the leader and a couple feet of line loads the rod, and the rod takes off from there.
With the 5' leader, and hook pinned to keep, pick up the rod, un-pin the hook, and you'd be sending out line as fast as you can get it off the spool.
It also feels like it would be fun with lighter lines.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 05 Dec 2018, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Dec 2018, 14:21 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Guess they are catalog only, none of the CGR are listed at the local store and only one of the higher end C's fly rods, lots of White River stuff though.
That might mean there won't be any specials.

Post 05 Dec 2018, 14:29 • #23 
Guide
Trev wrote:
Guess they are catalog only, none of the CGR are listed at the local store and only one of the higher end C's fly rods, lots of White River stuff though.
That might mean there won't be any specials.

Yea, I was in the Rogers,AR store a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty obvious they are eventually going to turn them into Bass Pro stores. Heck, that's the only reason he (Morris) bought them-to get the stores already built and get rid of more competition. You could hardly see any old Cabela flyfishing stuff. Might up the value of old Cabela flyrods on the secondary market as they did market some pretty decent flyrods.

Post 05 Dec 2018, 14:41 • #24 
Piscator
I was floored and delighted to find out the Cabelas online catalog restocked these rods. I though they'd be gone forever.
Let me eat my lunch, I'll take it to the back yard and shoot some line.

also checked tracking - mine was shipped from UT in 2 days

Post 05 Dec 2018, 14:49 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Dave that's my local, about 25 miles. And it sucks they have so changed it, Springfield is close enough that I can go there for Bass Pro stuff.

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply