It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:25

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 May 2018, 19:35 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I have a mint / unfished 7ft 6in 2pc one of these rods .. who made these rods for them ?
It looks like a Sila-Flex. It has the ferrule with the black rubber gasket (?) rubber band.
I'll get pictures up if anyone wants to see it.
thanks in advance - Brian

Post 15 May 2018, 20:36 • #2 
Master Guide
You're darned right we want to see it... please!

Post 18 May 2018, 18:34 • #3 
Guide
Brian,
I had an 8' Quick Finessa with spigot ferrules that was built on a Lamiglas S Glass blank. Is it similar other than the ferules?
I would love to see photos of the model you have also.
Richard
More photos at this link.
http://antiquerodandreels.com/rodmanufacturers/403

Another Finessa, unsure of who built this blank. Different ferules again. Not my rod but thanks to the photo donor.
More photos at this link.
http://antiquerodandreels.com/rodmanufacturers/1141

Post 19 May 2018, 02:48 • #4 
Guide
Brian
I believe the o ring style ferrule you refer to is known as a Sizematic ferrule. I had a Garcia Conolon 4 piece rod that had that type of ferrule .
Hal

Post 19 May 2018, 06:03 • #5 
Piscator
Quick Corp of America is the giveaway this is a domestic rod made for them.
It could be anyone - I'd compare finishing treatments to other rods using the same ferrule.

Post 19 May 2018, 17:46 • #6 
Sport
i don't know the connection between d.a.m. and quick. i do know d.a.m. is the Deutsche (?) Angling Mfg they make a lot of rods of all kinds. they also build some of the finest tournament rods in the world. hard to get as the German team dont "share" i seem to member' that quick was the reel division but i am not sure. d.a.m. reels are also mfg under that name.

i have several rods and reels with d.a.m. on them. i am still close to an older retired German caster. if its of great importance/need happy to help

jjw

Post 23 May 2018, 06:28 • #7 
Piscator
Quick is the trademark brand name of DAM spinning reels beginning with their introduction -
- earlier than this post '54 Quick Standard (there was a pre-'54 half-bail)
and this much later Quick Finessa - the numbered XX0 reels were smaller, the Finessa their largest inshore/salmon size
along with a famous range of baitcasters, Quick Champion
Image Image
Quick Corporation of America was the importer of the reels, and the buyer of US-made rods to sell with the reels
(importing rods was not cost-effective).
DAM was making reels prewar, but the Quick trademark originated with their postwar spinning reels, which made a pretty good splash in the US market (Cabelas sold tons of them from their old catalogs).
Prewar reels were Effzet, phonetic of the initials of the company founder (Fritz Ziegenspeck), Ziegen is the German word for goats, and you can see the goat trademark followed postwar, at least on Quick spare spool cases. Quick also imported Damyl monofilament.
DAM is currently a purveyor of Chinese tackle - I don't recommend visiting the company website, it hasn't been maintained and is infested with malware.

Post 23 May 2018, 07:58 • #8 
Master Guide
I have the champion baitcaster and fished it a lot in the old days, it is a great reel. Solid.....

Post 23 May 2018, 08:26 • #9 
Piscator

I never fished that one - the drive needed rebuild, clean and lube, which I never got around to.
Sold it on ebay for a happy auction result, shipped to England to a delighted ebay buyer.
Also sold the other 2 Quicks above to collectors for everything I had into them.

there are 11 Quick reel reference threads on Another Spin
search.php?keywords=quick&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=33&sc=1&sf=firstpost&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

All the Quick rod references on the forum have already been covered in posts on this thread.

Post 28 Mar 2021, 13:21 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Just a little late with my pictures... but fashionably late.

Clearly, I would have never spotted this rod without the photos above. Thank you.
Why - because this rod is dynamite. I would label it a slower rod with a softly quick sense.
My brains can't remember if it came with a sock or not : 7' 6" 4/5wt 2pc / no model #

Post 28 Mar 2021, 14:37 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I have a Browning Silaflex with those Sizematic ferrules, but that type of ferrule was also used on some Conolon rods and early Grizzly Fenwicks. Might well have been used on other companies rods as well. Nice looking rod you have there. My birthday is in September, so there is plenty of time to get it to me. ;)

Larry

New Topic Add Reply