It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:59

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Aug 2021, 21:12 • #51 
Master Guide
I really like Eagle Claw rods and Pflueger Medalist and automatic reels. I fish them here in Florida every chance I get. My “expensive” tackle are Red Truck diesel reel and glass rod. Only comes out when I hit the road to Montana or Western NC and I think next trip I’m taking my EC Crafted Glass 3 Wt and my 1494 Medalist as my backup. Love Eagle Claw and Pflueger!!!!! And DT lines.

Post 17 Aug 2021, 17:15 • #52 
Glass Fanatic
I guess to some extent I am… but I can live with that.

Post 19 Aug 2021, 08:14 • #53 
Sport
I am still unsure how to categorize myself. The tackle I use is important to me, it needs to have aesthetic and functional properties that appeal to me. These properties can be found across the price spectrum, and in the circumstances where I find myself shopping for a rod except in extreme cases cost is not a prime component in making the decision. For this I count myself as fortunate.

I do have strong brand preference, but not exclusive. When I decide to buy a rod or reel, Orvis has the first opportunity to win my business, and I am pretty sure that eventually I will own all of the SFG in trout sizes. Reels I have more flexibility on, those are either Orvis CFO's made by Hardy, or Orvis CFO's made by BFR in England, as these are 100% in my mind exactly what a trout sized fly reel should be, and they last forever.

With that said, and I am not a huge collector, I will buy a rod for a variety of reasons, but with the overlap on my 3# and 4# I have now, practicality is not one of them.

I did just fill a hole in my collection with a glass 5# (********* Western Glass 8'6"(waiting on delivery)). Aside from the deep respect on this board that this rod get's, one of the biggest motivators for me in purchase of the rod was it comes from the location that I had a trip planned for. This kind of quirk appeals to me.

I also purchased this spring a Ben's of Holland 3# from Shane Gray. I wasn't really in the market for the rod, but there it was popping up in my email, Shane taunting me with it, with the usual impeccable workmanship and traditional styling. I wasn't exactly in the market for another 3#, but I am sure glad it came to my house to live. It looks mighty fine on the North Eastern brook trout streams that I like to walk along.

I could give a hoot what other think of me and my gear, and frankly if others see me fish, I have not tried hard enough in picking my location to fish. Conversely, I could give a hoot with what you fish. If you force me to judge you, it will be 100% on your ethics in your practice of the sport.

So to summarize, I do not think I am a snob, what do you all think?

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply