It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:52

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 May 2019, 08:02 • #51 
Guide
whrlpool wrote:
Well not to rub anybody the wrong way, but I'll just say not only do I know how to do it, I could do it, and in less time than it takes to explain why I didn't.

I feel the tech services on this forum are pretty darn good, and I'm not the tech guy either. I can tell you that any member here gets better tech services than any of us pay for.

I chose to leave them, just like I left many of my own pics with old PB links, because: (1) most people understand that we are a hobby/common interest site, not the Library of Congress. We do our best, as have others in the past, and they didn't have the Federal benefits and pension plan either, or a desk and a staff of flunkies to do anything asked.

(2) the digital environment changes constantly. I'd be the first to say that some tech staffs could keep up better. But even they replace big glitches with smaller ones sometimes, and restoring something from two years ago can become a committee and consultant project that concludes: "the system can't do that," which means they have no idea how to operate it or they don't want to bother. Of course they have already collected the paycheck that us hobbyists don't get.

We do our best. There is a lot of great stuff here. Some gets lost in the digital era. But I left those because I thought they were valuable contributions. We did not mishandle them, and as we saw with Photobucket, you never know how they might get dug up again. It isn't digging I am going to do, knowing that someone else will contribute something similar sooner or later.

Not all contributions stay in the main lobby of the museum anyhow, but you never know if they might be dusted off and displayed again. Throwing them away after sending the donor a thank you note is not good practice.

Then do it. This thread, and the other, is totally worthless without images.
Mark

Post 29 May 2019, 08:07 • #52 
Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
this forum doesn't have a database for images - posting images counts on us having our own photoserver and knowing how to use it
you get past that part, and the php-board syntax works fine for posting images.
As far as Steve's inadequacy, damn, he has to read the whole board every day.
There's something to be said for the owner of the forum not providing access daily to an administrator.

I know exactly how to work and post images here, which is how I added 100's of photos originally. I could do it again. Trouble is, I've been BLOCKED from editing any of these catalog postings. No way to edit. No way to add photos.
Mark

Post 29 May 2019, 09:06 • #53 
Glass Fanatic
You were blocked because you wanted to delete the thread.

It is not going to be deleted by me. And, no, I am not paid enough to redo someone else's contribution. I'm not complaining about not getting paid, either. I don't want to get paid. It is fun. Usually.

I worked with inept staff a lot of my life. The one thing some of them could do for certain was collect their paycheck. I knew what excuse they would make before they made it. Usually they fended off any work at all by furrowing their brow and telling you how busy they were. Hire a teenager, snowflake, or millennial to do the work for you. When it is done, you will be able to complain about the outcome, which will be pathetic if even started. But they will have tried very hard.

In that case, you might have expected a result, and you might have reason to complain. You definitely won't have reason to continue paying them to maintain images that you chose to contribute to FFR.

There isn't reason to complain of a volunteer who, throughout his working life, got paid for his own work, plus doing other people's work over or straightening it up so he could do his own.

No more; this is supposed to be fun with a great group of people.

If you want to repost your Heddon catalogs with new image links, that would be a great contribution. I am not the only one who would appreciate it. You can copy and paste relevant text from this thread and just start a new thread. I'll delete posts from this one as the new one builds.

Post 20 Nov 2019, 02:50 • #54 
Administrator
Mark has posted an amazing set of images here. These posts were a fun read. I can't imagine how long it took to amass this collection of catalogs. Relatively speaking, collecting books is easy. Magazine collections are common. The serious collectors acquire catalogs and calendars.

I fixed the links in the various posts. The images will show again, to the limit of postimage providing the requisite bandwidth. If you see a big blue box - wait a couple of minutes and refresh the page.

For what it is worth, the entire forum has a 1 month editing limit. Editing after 1 month usually makes a mess of the thread. A correction posted at the end of the thread works out better in the long run.

However, when I set up the 1 month limit, I wasn't anticipating Photobucket moving to a 'ransom' business model and Postimage blowing up their URLs. Mark obviously worked his butt off scanning and posting all the images. The later problems weren't his fault. I'm sorry it took me so long to fix them.

Tom

Post 20 Nov 2019, 07:49 • #55 
Glass Fanatic
Great. Mark/wrong88/ thanks for hanging in there on this.

Post 21 Nov 2019, 17:27 • #56 
Guide
Tom,
To say I'm grateful to you for doing this is the understatement of the year. Thank you, thank you. I'll continue to redo the Shakespeare Catalog thread, however, as I've already got a good start on it and have come across some of the elusive catalog years that I didn't have originally. Thanks to both of you (Tom and Steve) for your continued time and effort, You saved me from pulling what's left of my hair out.
Mark
*Note* Images can take a minute to load up, in some cases, so don't give up.

Post 07 Dec 2019, 09:53 • #57 
Guide
Remember folks, there are currently 150 photos just in this Heddon thread, so they can take up to a minute to load up.
Mark

Post 11 Jan 2020, 09:48 • #58 
Mark,
Thanks for all of the time and effort you put into getting these posted for others to see.
Just a wealth of information.

Post 11 Jan 2020, 11:27 • #59 
Glass Fanatic
Yes thanks as i have about a dozen heddon fly rods.

Post 13 Jan 2020, 18:11 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
Is it ok to post heddon pics on this sub forum?

Post 13 Jan 2020, 18:55 • #61 
Glass Fanatic
Well it sure wouldn't be an FFR board sin. Wrong88 hung in there on this thread, devoted to Catalog listings, and it is pinned for that reason. So I think it would be better to post your pics in their own separate thread (s). I'd suggest a distinct subject line that identifies the model(s) pictured. Give any info you want, and, if you have identified it relative to one of the catalog listings, a link to the listing in this thread. In that way, your rod and pic will have its own attention, be easily searchable later on, and keep these catalog listings in view as well.

Post 13 Jan 2020, 20:41 • #62 
Glass Fanatic
Will do WP.I have a rod that is Not in any of these catalogs. Identical to several except in length and line weight.I do have several that are in these pages.I have to get some better pics than my phone is taking and will start a thread with a few nice examples of Heddons i have.I now have more info on after going thru these great pics.I have a few in unused condition .

Post 28 Jan 2020, 14:58 • #63 
Master Guide
Geez Mark thanks again for all you efforts buddy, absolutely stunning for sure...

Post 15 Aug 2020, 18:23 • #64 
Wow what amazing data! Thank you for posting. I picked up three glass rods today for next to nothing and one of them I was able to narrow down to a 1964 Heddon Pal Mark I 8’ #8305 Fast Tip Action Line D HDH or HCT.

Post 26 Aug 2020, 14:30 • #65 
Guide
wrong88 wrote:
*Note*, I also have every listing for Heddon glass casting, spinning, spin-casting and salt water rods. Feel free to contact me if you need info on any of these, and I'll do my best to help.

What a great compilation of data and thanks for taking the time to share it with everyone. I'm looking at a Heddon Golden Pal 9545 8'6" and can't find anything on it. Can you tell me anything about it, i.e. Line weight, action, etc.?

Thanks,
steve

Post 27 Sep 2020, 09:46 • #66 
Guide
I assume that's a salt water rod?
Mark

Post 19 Jun 2022, 13:01 • #67 
Sport
Thanks again Mark your work and knowledge is much appreciated ! Paul in OR

Post 24 Jul 2022, 09:20 • #68 
Guide
Thanks for the kind words, Paul.