It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:25

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Graphite? Really?
Post 22 Apr 2021, 20:54 • #26 
Guide
I would’ve expected the Epic to be faster! Interesting that it’s compared to G series.

Post 23 Apr 2021, 08:14 • #27 
Sport
Thanks so much! I thought they were in ********* Manor. Great anecdotes, I wonder what the inspiration was for the 8’ 4wt. Seems like there were a number of them. Can’t imagine anyone has a catalog. Anyway, Thanks for rehashing this thread. You have warmed the trail with these new leads, thanks again.

wjude- If you’re still in the SS area, maybe we could fish sometime (southern VT)

Post 23 Apr 2021, 09:26 • #28 
Piscator
Adding to what whrlpool said, when glass came out, it was the same cost as blue collar cane, and was supposed to supersede it.
In a way it did, when it finally became the cost-effective choice, but there will always be people who prefer the specific action and organic feel of cane.
Graphite was supposed to supersede glass, and it did for awhile, until we rediscovered the lost niches that graphite cannot fill exactly because of its high modulus and limited toughness.

Post 23 Apr 2021, 12:54 • #29 
Master Guide
Eric Jobson started East Branch Rods in Haverstraw, NY, my hometown, but moved the operation to the Adirondacks (I guess Jay) in a few years. (PS: Theordore Gordon lived with relatives in West Haverstraw before moving to the Catskills.)

And I've been on the road to Kelley Stand many times -- somehow the car always survived.

--Rich

Post 23 Apr 2021, 13:23 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Fun accounts of the East Branch rods. Still not sure, did they manufacture their own blanks, or did they purchase blanks made to specification, and then assemble and wrap them to their brand image/quality level? If the latter, it would be interesting to know who made the blanks for them. If the former, I wonder what became of their manufacturing equipment. Also, Fran Betters built/sold some rods from his shop, the one I remember in the same area from the late 1970s--any connection to the shops mentioned?

As often do, I'll mention that folks who have a good feel for 'glass rods will often like relatively "soft" (less stiff, lower modulus) graphite of the early generations before the various IM ("improved" modulus, i.e. stiffer) generations. The lower (in comparison to the most used forms today) modulus rods are still available, and often very inexpensive, in the so-called "starter" outfits designed for comfortable, easy casting. Likewise, various inexpensive graphite blanks that don't tout the latest super duper modulus. Many blanks of this type--perfected in technology quite a while ago--are very good and compare well with the best of the type in late 1970s, early 1980s graphite.

Post 23 Apr 2021, 14:44 • #31 
Master Guide
kelleystand wrote:
Thanks so much! I thought they were in ********* Manor. Great anecdotes, I wonder what the inspiration was for the 8’ 4wt. Seems like there were a number of them. Can’t imagine anyone has a catalog. Anyway, Thanks for rehashing this thread. You have warmed the trail with these new leads, thanks again.

wjude- If you’re still in the SS area, maybe we could fish sometime (southern VT)

Sounds good, myself and a few of my fishing buddies frequent that area quite a bit. My phone number is on my site, feel free to call.

Post 24 Apr 2021, 22:34 • #32 
Sport
Every time I return to this thread there is more info! You’re all so generous with your knowledge, thanks.

wjude- that would be great! Pelted with caddis tonight on the hoosic but no rises...

Rich- thankfully mud season wasn’t too bad this year. It’s a special kind of road.

Post 25 Apr 2021, 09:41 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
My first "new" fly rod was a first generation TFO 3 wt.Really doesn't have much taper to it and is slow for graphite.Full flexing and has a glass like feel to it.Fun bluegill rod and throws a tad farther than my glass 3 weights.

Post 25 Apr 2021, 12:24 • #34 
Master Guide
Batson's IM6 "Unity" blanks are moderate & sweet; the 7'6" 3wt & 4wt are especially nice.

Post 25 Apr 2021, 22:47 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
I had an old East Branch 908 blank that i built for myself in High School. Not sure if they rolled their own blanks but heard from multiple people that they did.

Post 26 Apr 2021, 05:39 • #36 
Master Guide
[quote="whrlpool"]Fun accounts of the East Branch rods. Still not sure, did they manufacture their own blanks, or did they purchase blanks made to specification, and then assemble and wrap them to their brand image/quality level? If the latter, it would be interesting to know who made the blanks for them. If the former, I wonder what became of their manufacturing equipment. Also, Fran Betters built/sold some rods from his shop, the one I remember in the same area from the late 1970s--any connection to the shops mentioned?

They rolled their own blanks.

Fran Betters, while he did have his "own" line of fly rods, most of the blanks his stuff was built on Pacific Bay blanks, Pac Bay Components, and some American Tackle Grips. Fran had some of the ladies that worked in his shop wrap and finish the rods. While the two operations were in close in mileage to each other, I doubt Fran bought any blanks from East Branch, Fran was not known for spending that kinda coin these blanks would have cost back then.

Post 26 Apr 2021, 08:55 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
I think Fran used the same IM6 blanks that were readily available via Hook & Hackle back when it was Upstate.

I had 2 or 3 East Branch rods over the years. Pretty nice moderate action graphite rods, although at the same price point at the time I preferred the Diamondback Classic Trouts.

Post 29 Apr 2021, 07:05 • #38 
Master Guide
I just picked up a 2wt Winston BIII LS 7' 4pc that I’m excited to fish. I caught trout on my T&T Paradigm 905 in Montana and enjoyed how I could throw a dry fly way out there. But I have become hooked on the feeling of playing and landing fish on fiberglass. Hard to beat that deep soft bend in the rod.

Post 29 Apr 2021, 13:24 • #39 
It doesn't get much sweeter with graphite rods than to take a 7ft 2wt Winston WT (Winston Traditional) and over line it with a true to weight WF3 line...perfect on those brushy little mountain creeks! https://dryflynm.blogspot.com/2021/01/w ... -rods.html

Post 29 Apr 2021, 20:48 • #40 
Master Guide
Fantastic blog post!

Post 30 Apr 2021, 09:47 • #41 
Thank you, Dave...

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply