It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 01:03

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Berkley parametrics
Post 29 Jun 2017, 20:59 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
I had a three piece 8 1/2 footer and truly hated it.

I'm guessing I had about fifteen at one time, including all the Gowdy models in their faux leather bags and correct tubes. Down to none now, always like to try new stuff and can't afford to keep them all.

The 6'3" rods were toughest to find and think took about two years to get the first one.

Favorites were the 6'3" rods. Had two Gowdy and one three piece. Also thought 7 1/2' rods were excellent.

In addition to the 8 1/2' three piece I didn't care much for the 9'3".

Never got any great deals on them and think maybe seventy five was least I ever paid.

Barry

Post 30 Jun 2017, 10:03 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Gearboy, the 3pc 8fter is softer, smoother and sweeter than the 2pc, I use mine w a 6wt. It is not a big fly rod, is more of a dry fly/soft hackle kinda rod for me. And I love em.

Barry, yeah, the 3pc 8.5fter is not my fav of the bunch either.

I've never had the 6'3" rod. I generally dislike short rods. That said, I am sure I will snag one someday, is fun just to fling these things around and sell em again if they don't light your fire.

I've got 4-5 still (down from 8 or so), they aren't going anywhere.

Post 30 Jun 2017, 11:16 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Majicwrench,the 6'3" surprised the hell out of me fishes like a longer rod.Had the rod laying around for a couple of years and took it out trout fishing a couple of days ago for the first time and was blown away how well it roll casted and mended the line.It was very light in the hand and well balanced with the ryobi 255 mg.For trout fishing this rod is the most versatile smaller to med. size stream rod I have and will start fishing it more often ..........aurelio

Post 30 Jun 2017, 11:47 • #29 
Master Guide
Funny, I actually like my 8.5 ft 3pc rod. I however, use it as an 8wt rod, not a 7wt as it was marked. I also stripped it and rebuilt it and liked it better after the rework. I tend to like the different flavors of the 8ft 2pc rods.

Post 30 Jun 2017, 14:01 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
majicwrench wrote:
Gearboy, the 3pc 8fter is softer, smoother and sweeter than the 2pc, I use mine w a 6wt. It is not a big fly rod, is more of a dry fly/soft hackle kinda rod for me. And I love em.

Mine are all 8'6"ers.

Post 30 Jun 2017, 14:05 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
magicwrench-Heres pictures of my PD41 butt section.ImageImageImageImage

Post 05 Jul 2017, 18:47 • #32 
Guide
I picked up a 6'3" P40 on eBay this week. It's a later foreign rod but is in very good shape and casts nice. I just grabbed a medalist reel off my eagle claw with some unknown line that's been on it 5 years. Think its a Cabelas wf4. Set a ball cap down at 15ft and could put the fly on it every time.

Casts to 40ft with good accuracy and will put a 50 or 55ft cast without much difficulty. Easy to cast, just a slow smooth stroke.

I know the foreign rods are supposed to be not as good casters as the domestics but I am enjoying this one.

I think playing with line selection it will get better. ImageImageImage

Post 06 Jul 2017, 20:13 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
only managed a couple small bass this morning.so i had the 8'6 gowdy in the van and threw a weighted bugger at tailing carp in the I&M canal.no takes but caught 3 crappie.just when i think i cant more out of it i do.thing is heavy tho

Post 14 Apr 2022, 13:10 • #34 
Master Guide
I had a weekend with my new 8’6 P40 Gowdy 2 piece and am “smitten”. My mentor was looking out for me and knows I fish primarily bass down here in Florida. I love trout but have to save that for a few trips a year. Point being I was looking for a good glass bass rod. I have my beloved FF85 (7-8-9) that I love but “had” to have a back up. Now I can’t decide which one I like more! That Gowdy is supposed to be a 7WT but as my fly fishing glass junkie/mentor told me it is a very versatile rod. I batttled gale force winds all day that keep changing direction (and I am not a good caster) but this rod was launching the SA Mastery Bass 8wt line with a size 2 Umpqua fruit cocktail and a size 10 soft hackle dropper. That rod gave as good as it got from the wind and to me felt very light and the grip fit my hand perfectly. I was out there for 6 hours and my shoulder was none the worse for wear. I can’t say enough good things about this rod. Gonna try a 7 wt 406 DT next and my SA Stillwater parabolic 8wt and see how that goes. Regardless I have great respect for these Gowdy rods now. Can’t put a price tag on that feeling when you first cast a rod and the combo of leader, Line, rod and reel just clicks. An elderly couple across the pond asked me how I was able to cast so far with a fly rod (they were very sceptical when I walked past them earlier in the day “you gonna fly fish? In this wind for bass?” I told them the distance was a gift from Saint Curt Gowdy of Wyoming …. Not sure they got the joke …

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply