It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:04

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 May 2017, 11:37 • #1 
Sport
Can anyone give my an idea of the value of a Pastor fly rod? I have a 7 1/2' rod in almost mint condition. It is marked "F75-4 Combo". The guides are all the old "Foul-Proof" type. Ferrules are silver in color. I understand that Pastor used Silaflex blanks.

Post 18 May 2017, 13:50 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Never heard of it but can you post some pictures of it?

Post 18 May 2017, 14:14 • #3 
Guide
Never thought I'd see another Pastor come up. Even with the internet at our disposal, references to this company are few the last time I checked. I think that's the same one I have, a 4 pc spin/fly combo with Sizematic(?) O-ring ferrules, also 7-1/2' long. I got mine for camp in 1967, and it sat in a closet ever since. It resurfaced when we cleared out my parents' house in 2000. It feels like it might make a pretty neat 4wt. But to answer your question, I doubt it would be worth very much. Have you tried it with a fly line? You might fall in love with it, and there's your value!

Post 18 May 2017, 14:37 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
They were decent mid level rods. Tom Morgan sold them in his shop for a few years before buying Winston. Sorry, I don't have a good value on them but would probably put them at a Silaflex/Parametric/ Cortland/Fenwick value. I would think a 7 1/2' rod would fetch about $90-$130 depending on condition but maybe not.

Post 26 Sep 2022, 20:50 • #5 
Sport
I just bought a Pastor & Co fly rod from Ebay this evening on a hunch. The add didnt provide a model photo or description but clearly Pastor & Company. My search brought me home. LOL It appears to be 108" by one of the photos I did not copy. Looks to be well made. Im optimistically eager for its arrival. By the way, how are you doing Crusty.

Post 26 Sep 2022, 20:58 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Had one many years ago. Pretty nice rod. Seemed to share a lot of parts similar to Silaflex rods.

Also, thought they came from about the same part of the Country as Silaflex.

Last edited by GRASSNGLASS on 26 Sep 2022, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Sep 2022, 21:05 • #7 
Sport
Yes, they are. Says North Hollywood, CA. Thats good to know.

Post 26 Sep 2022, 21:46 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Ferrules and reelseat on my Silaflex Perfexion looks very similar to those I've seen on some Pastor rods.

This rod doesn't have the Aetna Foulproof guides.

Wonder if the Proctor rods have Sila-flex on the bottom of their reelseats.

Post 30 Sep 2022, 09:08 • #9 
Master Guide
All pastor and co rods were made on silaflex blanks . Many using Aetna foul proof guides .
They even use the silaflex model# F75
That pastor you scored on eBay has been sitting there for almost a year ..
Glad crusty rusty saved me from myself and my marriage by buying that rod before I did ..
Tom Morgan spoke very fondly of Pastor rods and being a dealer for them before he bought Winston .
Great and classy appointed rods with that silaflex heart ..

Value on Pastor rods is nominal hovering about $100 and up .
Serious silaflex guys would be all over a pastor in minty shape .
The 4pc rods were a lil heavy until silaflex changed the up rods with spigot ferrules and lightened the blanks like 20%

The silaflex blanks are beautiful with that great finish .
They were able to acheive that finish using vacuum bags to pressurize the blank during curing .

Pastors are just as beautiful but got a lot more variety on the builds with different color seats ,wraps/guides .
I’ve seen pastors done in brown variegated with gold or brown seats , red and silver reel seats with red wraps . Green seats and wraps .

Where as with silaflex rods you got the medallion or perfexion done with their standardized model cosmetics.

When I’m all done collecting Heddon’s, Phillipson’s and Berkleys .. I’m coming for those silaflex and pastor rods …

Stoked to see Pastor get a bit of love here .
Cheers Scotto

Post 01 Oct 2022, 12:55 • #10 
Sport
Hey Ottobahn,

Thanks for the thumbs up, and the run down on Pastors. Ive been all over Ebay for the last year looking at fly rods and that was the first time I saw it. It caught my eye for sure. I was just in DC, I got back to Spokane last night. I made a jaunt to Frederick MD, also Virginia, and West Virginia while I was there for 3 weeks. Very beautiful area.

Canton

Post 01 Oct 2022, 15:54 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Would enjoy a report on your fishing experience with it. Depending on its condition, it may lend itself to a simple refresh, a partial rebuild to your liking, or even a strip and rebuild. The Silaflex blank could make any of those steps worth it--or its condition may mean you use and take care of it just as it is.

Post 01 Oct 2022, 21:27 • #12 
Sport
Ill be glad to. I may not have it out for a field test until spring. I just started a new job. Ill let you know what the condition is and maybe snap a couple better pics.

New Topic Add Reply