It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:27

New Topic Add Reply
Wright & McGill fly rod
Post 20 Jan 2017, 10:02 • #1 
First thanks for the add, wish I'd known about this forum a long time ago. I have a Wright & McGill Denco 9ft 8A9 fly rod. It has surprisingly little info on the rod, no serial number, and it says No MB on it. It takes a size 9 line, and the mini Ferrules logo is on there too. It is a yellow glass rod with the green wrapping on the rod. It has no medallion on the cork, nor does it look like it's ever been there.
Anybody have a general idea of date of manufacture?
Once I figure out how to post pics I will do that, so they are available. I haven't seen any of these rods with so little writing on it, nor the 9ft length. This is a great rid, and I just want to find some info on it.
Thanks in advance!!

Post 20 Jan 2017, 10:14 • #2 
Guide
Hello and welcome.
Your question is out of my territory, but I'm sure someone more knowledgable about W&M rods will chime in.
And if you can find a way, a picture/photo paints a thousand words.

Post 20 Jan 2017, 11:12 • #3 
Ok I need help. Can someone please let me know how to post pics? Thanks

Post 20 Jan 2017, 15:10 • #4 
Guide
Sorry, Bignoot.When it comes to posting photos, I'm kind of a technological disaster. Perhaps some insights on the Denco will be provided based upon your description.

Post 20 Jan 2017, 15:11 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Bignoot
Welcome. I am betting cofisher will be along shortly...he is the WM expert. As to posting pics here is a link to the instructions.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2353&hilit=posting+pictures

looking forward to seeing pics.

Post 20 Jan 2017, 15:43 • #6 
Guide
You need a photo hosting site, like Photobucket. Which is free. Load the photos from your computer/camera to the hosting site, then copy the URL address. Go to this site where you want to post the photo and click on where you want it to appear, then right click on "Paste." There it is.

Post 20 Jan 2017, 18:35 • #7 
pb-image ... ikcypq.jpg

pb-image ... bzgtyi.jpg

pb-image ... pq8bbn.jpg

pb-image ... umerr9.jpg

Post 20 Jan 2017, 22:09 • #8 
Let's see if that worked.
Looks like they can be seen now. Thanks for the info!!

Post 20 Jan 2017, 22:44 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
That's a very odd duck....a Denco with mini-ferrules AND green wrappings (and I assume green reel seat). Per the catalogs, the Denco's didn't officially have mini-ferrules until 1972 but mini ferrules were on some of their rods starting in 1970. Separately, the green wrappings/ anodized aluminum reel seats on the Denco rods were change over to brown in 1970. But this isn't terribly uncommon with Wright & McGill/Eagle Claw rods where the new and old components in the transition where mixed for a year or so. So by deduction I guess your rod is probably of roughly 1970-72 vintage...

Post 21 Jan 2017, 08:41 • #10 
One of the things that struck me when seeing some of the newer rods was the lack of writing on this one. Later models have a serial number, and what seems to be a better description of the rod. I read on one site they went to the green wrapping in the mid to late 60's. Anyways any info about this rod is very much appreciated. I'm not going to fish it anymore because I really don't want to break it. That is always a possibility in the big bass lakes of the Tennessee river, mostly after smaller species but you never know in this area. I've since switched to a graphite Eagle Claw and it throws almost as good. I will look again on the reel seat, can't remember but I don't think it's green. Pics if it's not when I get home.
Thank you all for the look see I am grateful. Bob

Post 21 Jan 2017, 16:58 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I personally wouldn't be too worried about breaking that rod. They're tough beasts!

Post 03 Feb 2017, 23:36 • #12 
Ok it's not a green reel seat. It's brown. Think that affects age guess?

Post 04 Feb 2017, 23:28 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah that will make it a normal and perhaps a slightly younger aged rod and not an unusual variation. But it's no less than 40 years old (1977).

Post 06 Feb 2017, 13:10 • #14 
What do you make of the lack of serial number and other descriptive writing on the rod? The newer rods have so much writing on them. I thought this might be an earlier model due to the lack of all that. I've not really studied them until I found this forum, but that part did strike me as odd.

Post 06 Feb 2017, 23:20 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
That's just in the period where all that was in transition (low descriptive writing to increasingly more). My old Featherlights have considerably less markings on the blank than the newer ones. Also after rereading the entire thread, does your rod have green or brown wrappings? If it has green wrappings and a brown reel seat, that still is a little unusual and would definitively make the rod closer to 1970 vintage.

Post 11 Feb 2017, 12:01 • #16 
Emeritus
I guess I'm not understanding what you mean by descriptive writing on the rod. It's got the model number, line weight, length and name. Denco was the least expensive W&M rod made. Supposedly less expensive components and I've never seen one with a "serial number" if I'm understanding your question Bignoot. Featherlights estimate of age is correct. Fish away...it can handle bass.

Post 14 Feb 2017, 14:14 • #17 
Ok it does have green wrapping and a brown seat. Thank you guys so much for the information, my wife remembers it being refinished, but I know it had green wrapping before that. As a matter of fact, that guy did such a poor job that it needs to be redone now. Not the wrappings just the finish. Going to find someone local to do that, then to the river I go!!

Post 02 Sep 2020, 11:15 • #18 
Somewhat late to the party, but confirming everything above, I acquired a brand new old stock still in the original packaging WM Denco No. 8A , 8 1/2ft 2p/1t rated wf-7 line ( another tip off to the vintage) so circa 1965-1969 based on the construction because these were NOT serialized. It's a gorgeous natural light brown color, almost like aged cane which they were probably hoping to imitate,you can see the close spiral wraps and ghosted pre-preg cloth pattern. Emerald green silk thread wraps, blackened steel snakes and perfection tip top, tungsten steel stripper, green anodized aluminum reel seat. The only problem is the lack of guides, there's only a few, but I've heard adding a few more really improves the fun with a fish on. I didn't bother, just keeping it all original. And yes they will take a lickin and keep on tickin. I fished it a couple times this past May/June in one of my favorite Lake Erie feeder streams for drop back steelies, suckers, carp and spawning smallmouth bass. It handled everything including a few monster carp that practically bent it double. Honestly thought it was going to snap but no sir.

Post 12 May 2022, 23:20 • #19 
I have the exact same rod green reel seat green silk wraps and looks almost as if brand names where hand written is that normal? I Acquired it in estate clean out real estate company was clearing out a outbuilding on a property they posted all contents free on Facebook and my wife knew I loved fishing. Who could date the rod is the number with the eagle claw mark the year made? I DON'T KNOW ALOT PLEASE HELP

New Topic Add Reply