It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:49

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Green Winston Stalker
Post 30 Nov 2016, 14:36 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I first saw the green Winston Stalker in 1999 at Bud Lilly's shop in West Yellowstone. I didn't cast it but remember spenting some time flexing it. I thought, "Man, this thing is SLOW!" Still, I was strangely attracted to it. I had mostly been used to fishing graphite back then and was surprised by the action. I'm sure others graphite folks had the same reaction and was perhaps one of the reason for its early demise. Over the years, despite reading many disparaging comments about the rod, here and other places, the rod nagged at me. One finally arrived at the house several days ago.

Well, I really like it although at first I thought maybe I had made a big mistake. Yes it's slow and yes it's a "different" green but with the right line I find it an incredibly sweet rod. I had to spend some time with it to fall into its rhythm, but when I did, the rod made me realize why the taper was designed that way. It's by no means a versatile rod and certainly it won't fish well in wind, but there are other rods for that situation. Some say that you cannot tell what a rod is like until you have it on the water. That could be true but I'm not sure. I know how I like a rod to feel and this one feels great. I make the disclaimer that I truly love slow rods so appreciate the fact that the rod is not for everybody. I am obviously in an eccentric minority because most of the rods I've liked have been discontinued, among others the Winston Retro, The Winston DL4 and the Hardy Perfection.

As to the color, Winston had to choose a shade of green different from the dark green of their graphite rods. Having gotten over "green shock" by owning Tomo's Ymogi and the T&T Heirloom, I actually like the Stalker green. It works nicely with the dark green wraps and darkened guides, stripper, hook keeper and winding check. The down-locking nickle silver and cocobola reel seat is beautiful although a cap and band over cork would probably have been a more appropriate choice. One thing I noticed is that the Stalker reel seat is better proportioned to the grip than those on the later Retro. The Retro had an unusually long reel seat which always looked odd to my eye.

Fortunately the green Stalker was made at a time when Winston still held to their ideals on build quality - spigot ferrules, carefully chosen cork rings pounded on and a variety of reel seat choices. Now Winston uses pre-formed grips, tip over butt ferrules and only up-locking reel seats - basically everything they said they would not do.

The green Stalker was first cataloged in 1999 in honor of Winston's 70th anniversary and I believe discontinued a year later. I would think very few were built although it might be diffcult to know since the Stalker, unlike the later Retros, did not have their own set of serial numbers. I'm not sure, but I think the late Sam Drukman, Winston's production manager at the time, must have been the designer as he was a glass guy. I met Sam at Sweetgrass where he was designing a line of glass rods for them. I would think he left Winston to join Sweetgrass sometime after the "Boo Boys" parted ways due to a disagreement with management over the direction of Winston.

Last edited by Duff on 01 Dec 2016, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

Post 30 Nov 2016, 15:28 • #2 
Master Guide
Duff,
Interesting write up, I had one until the first time I fished it, it hit the used market the next time I was around a computer. Happily it sold fast and for good dollars. Slow was not the problem, I thought it was gutless, I loved my Hardy Perfection, it was a good fishing rod. I own 6 Sam Druckman designed rods (4 Freestones, 1 Sweetgrass, 1 Biit) and I don't believe he would have made something like this, but maybe. His other rods are spectacular.

I hope you enjoy yours more than I did.

Post 30 Nov 2016, 16:19 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
No need to sugar coat it rsagebrush. :) Yeah, I knew it probably wasn't a good idea to say complimentary things about apparently the most hated glass fly rod in history. For what it's worth, I liked it with a Supra WF4, a DT4 Cortland 444 Classic Whisper and a Wulff TT4.

Post 30 Nov 2016, 17:54 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Nice write up. I never sell a rod until I fish it. Would be interested in the post water report.

Post 30 Nov 2016, 18:05 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Go Duff. I think every once in a while a man ought to do something against his better judgment just to make sure his judgment is good, not to mention the judgment of others. I have to say I don't do that with fly rods much, but I do it all the time fishing, often trying a fly and method that is "opposite" of what I would expect to work. Thanks for a great account.

Post 30 Nov 2016, 18:51 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Agree. Trying something different, and working with it to find its strengths, is one of the joys of fly fishing -- and of life. Like whrlpool, I have a lot of fun when the fish aren't biting and one of my sons says "Let's put on something stupid," and we do, and the stupid fly starts catching fish. Also, I'm enough of a contrarian that hearing negative things about a rod sometimes sparks interest in it. One man's trash...

Post 30 Nov 2016, 19:05 • #7 
Master Guide
Well Duff I wanted to keep it light and airy.

Post 30 Nov 2016, 19:41 • #8 
Master Guide
There is a documentary on Netflix now about Wine connoisseurs (or snobs, depending on your perspective). One man's treasure is another man's "garbage". Doesn't mean one guy is right or that one is wrong. They both could be right. Or wrong. I like hearing both sides cause maybe I can put the opinions to use if I ever have the opportunity to acquire such a rod.

Personally, I like that green color and I hope you have alot of fun with that rod. Sounds like you already have squeezed some pleasure out of it so good for you.

Post 30 Nov 2016, 20:02 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Congrats Tom! I have wanted to cast one of those for a while now. Looks like I will get the chance in the future :)

Bob

Post 30 Nov 2016, 20:17 • #10 
Master Guide
That's a beauty Duff! This may sound like a dumb question but I know some will understand what I'm asking.
Those who have cast the perfection 4 and this rod, Would the stalker feel like the perfection but add 6 inches.

Anyone understand what I'm getting at?

Post 30 Nov 2016, 20:25 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I am one of those who does not think the Green "Stalkers" are very good. I don't think that the rods don't work, I think that they are too use specific and not anything like their predecessor. Maybe if they had named it differently I could be more positive about them. However, due to their very slow action I found it very difficult to find a time I could use them, forget them in a light breeze or on anything other than small protected waters. Needless to say they did not fit my fishing needs, I could find a place for Tom's especially the 7.5' rods. Then there's the color, but let's not even go there. I'm with "Crusty" on this.
Respectfully rvreclus

Last edited by rvreclus on 01 Dec 2016, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post 30 Nov 2016, 21:05 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Rsagebrush, I love light and airy. Funny thing is that over the years we have agreed on many rods. Maybe after a while I'll agree with you on this one too but hope not. I know Frogmorten hated it too. Rvreclus makes three.

Westex, yes, I have had a lot of fun with it already even without hitting the water. I can always get a lot of enjoyment out of fly rods even in the back rod.

BobHa, absolutely.

MBJRL, IMO it's definitely not a longer Perfection which to me is a weighty, medium-slow, pure progressive taper - a truly wonderful rod that few would not like it they gave it a chance. It's hard to explain but compared to the Hardy Perfection the green Stalker is softer in the tip and mid with a comparatively stronger butt section. I find that you need to bring the butt into play when casting any distance with the Stalker. To me, a lot of slow rods are like that. I find the relatively soft mid and tip make short cast very easy and the stronger butt allows longer casts if needed.

Here's how the Winston catalog described it:
"The Stalker is designed for spring creeks, where small flies, accurate casts and very delicate presentations are needed. It's made from fiberglass, a slower action material that offers tremendous feel. The Stalker will delight anyone who believes, as we do, that fiberglass is still a great material for making fly rods. This 8' 4-weight, three-piece rod has a feel and softness that's similar to bamboo, yet lively like graphite." They had me at spring creek. Lots of copywriter glitz there of course.

Post 30 Nov 2016, 22:13 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Tom,
You cast Leiderman's vintage 8' 4wt Stalker and Morgan 8' 4wt, Along with the 8' 4wt Fisher I use to have. We felt they were the same taper. They are a very slow rods, how does this compare?

Bob

Post 30 Nov 2016, 23:54 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Bob, I think the green Stalker is even slower with a softer tip but it's hard to say exactly how they compare without casting those rods side by side. Hopefully we can do that someday. Whatever folks feel about the green Stalker, it's an interesting rod and a piece of Winston history for better or worse.

Last edited by Duff on 01 Dec 2016, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 Dec 2016, 06:44 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Duff,I won't comment on your choice of rods that axsio still has me wondering who would want to buy such a rod,butt I have to admit I did fall in love with a 6'6" hardy perfection and a 8' 3 wt DL4. so maybe there is still hope for me in the future.I think you should do reviews for fishing magazine's you did a great job and am happy you found such a rare rod for your great collection.......aurelio

Post 01 Dec 2016, 07:26 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Well put synopsis, Duff.
I thought the one I had was good for what it was supposed to fish; spring creeks. I just wasn't a peace with that particular shade of green.
"ut cuique sau" :)

Post 01 Dec 2016, 12:54 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I know a couple who owned a fly shop and were Winston dealers.

When I commented about my dislike of the color, the wife commented that she detested the color so much she wouldn't go fishing with her husband if he used that rod.

Post 01 Dec 2016, 15:16 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Duff: would also be curious to hear your impressions in comparison to some "sticky" Japanese Glass like your Axisco and STL.

Aurelio: Surprised you enjoy the Hardy glass, but not the Axisco. To me, they are pretty similar.

Post 05 Dec 2016, 21:23 • #19 
Master Guide
Duff, I had a green Winston Stalker and enjoyed fishing it on the Swift and Farmington rivers in New England where I was casting small flies to large educated trout. It was a lot of fun to fish out to about 40ft. Setting the hook on longer drifts was sometimes a challenge for me (may not have been the rod but my mind wandering as it sometimes does when I am enjoying myself on the stream:). I ended up selling it to a board member to help finance a Tom Morgan 6ft 9in light 3wt. beautifully built up by Chris Barclay. I do miss it. I like slow rods. It does have a strong butt and can handle large trout. Definitely a softer tip than BobHa's 8ft Fisher ;at and the TMR 8ft 4. I hope you enjoy it on the water.
BobHa, I think I had the green Stalker with me at the Battenkill clave a few years back. It might've been too slow for your taste then but I think you would enjoy it more now.

Post 10 Dec 2016, 14:23 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I got a chance to cast Duff's Stalker this morning alongside my Retro, both using a TT4. For what the rod is intended, short casts with small flies and tiny tippets, it's a beauty. It felt a tad softer in the mid and butt compared to the Retro. It's definitely not an all around rod, but is perfect and lays out a fine cast in the short to mid range. Maybe folks don't care for something so slow? I also thought the color looks great, definitely unique. The writing on the rod is important to me, and this one has some of the best I've ever seen on a fly rod. While I would never buy a rod based on the writing, it's definitely a deal breaker if it looks crappy.

Post 16 Dec 2016, 03:39 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
I own one of these...

Years ago I sent the cap back and had it re-labeled.

Post 20 Sep 2020, 03:05 • #22 
Sport
This spring I bought one of these, in mint condition, from a friend. Fished it quite a bit this summer. Has an action that I searched and searched for. Had some of the best days of the year, using it. It is now one of my favorite rods for non-windy days.

Post 23 Aug 2023, 01:49 • #23 
Sport
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I just picked up a green 8’ #4 Stalker. To my casting and what I will use it for here in Australia it is one of the most perfect rods I have had. I do like slower rods though. To me it feels like a lighter version of a Leonard 40 bamboo in action, balance and casting and is also very similar to a McFarland Spruce Creek I was generously given by a board member that I fish a lot. A few of my friends have cast it and some find it way to slow but one of my friends really likes it as well.

Anyway, I was just wondering - was it only offered in an 8’ #4 or were there other models in the year it was made?

Cheers
Mike

Post 23 Aug 2023, 09:11 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Mike, 8' #4 was the only configuration as I understand it. I tried very hard to like mine, but just couldn't so sold it. Bob, I now own Matt's original Winston 8' #4 Stalker and it is a much better rod IMHO. It's the rod the green Stalker should have been.

Post 23 Aug 2023, 09:25 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Duff,
You mentioned the discontinuation of the Winston DL4 rods. My wife has an 8' 4/1 4wt. that I gave to her in 2003. It's the only rod she fishes, has fished and will fish since I gave to her regardless of where we fish. That rod rocks. She has taken it around the country for all species of trout and all sizes. Sad that Winston retired this line as we both think of them as top shelf. In fact, she has fished it so often and for so long that we had to have the spigots replaced two years ago by Winston. At that time, they told us that they see very few of these rods come in for repairs etc. The folks in the repair department felt, as we do, that Winston should not have let this series of rods be discontinued. :)

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply