It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:18

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Jun 2008, 13:30 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I tried to find something in the forum Search but didn't turn up much information. I think the Hardy Perfection rods came out in the late 1990's and had black blanks. I would like to know where they were made (England?) and if the blank was of their design and manufacture? Most importantly, are they any good? Since I understand Hardy is now making the Lightweight reel series in China, I am cautious about buying relatively recent Hardy products. Any observations would be appreciated.

Post 17 Jun 2008, 13:58 • #2 
Administrator
From what I understand, the recently discontinued Hardy Perfections were made in the Alnwick, England facility. I don't know if Alnwick is now closed or not. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about the Perfections. I have seen many positive reviews of these rods. Unfortunately, I have never cast one.

Hardy's soul-less owners don't understand their market niche. For years Hardy equipment was traditional, classic design made by traditional English craftsmen. Sure it was overpriced, but it was the real deal. For the price conscious fisherman there were always Hardy knockoffs, and some of those were good equipment. But every fly fisherman wanted at least one Hardy, purchased new in a moment of financial excess. No more. Hardy is gone. Instead, the Hardy knockoffs bear the Hardy name.

Tom

Post 18 Jun 2008, 06:41 • #3 
Glass Fanatic

I had one in early 2000's and was one of the best casting and prettiest rods I have ever had.

I wasn't smart enough to keep it though.

Barry

Post 18 Jun 2008, 10:34 • #4 
Guide

The Hardy Glass Perfections, a 6-1/2' 3wt and 7-1/2' 4 wt, were introduced in 1998 and discontinued in 2006. The rods were made in England, and befitting His or Her Royal Highness, came with the following appointments: polished black blank with ruby wraps and spiral handwritten script in white, jewel-like fittings, ferrule plugs, and deluxe rod bag. The rod series was designed by Roy Bell of Hardy and were available only in the U.S. and Japan. The retail price was $375 back in 1998 (a steal), but rose to $695 by 2006. Some closeouts could be found at $495 (still a bargain). I once owned the 4wt, sold it because it was too slow, and now wish I had one. The 4wt was not a good searching rod (too slow), but excelled once the quarry was spotted.

John

Post 19 Jun 2008, 06:55 • #5 
Sport
I'm happy that I had some money in 1998, had just caught the glass bug and bought the 4 wt. then.
As a three piece, it is convenient as a light trout pack rod and that is mostly where I used it, in the high sierra. Not as good in the wind as a stiffer rod would be, but this is balanced by the excellent rollcasting ability of the slow fully flexing action for fishing the edges of wooded lakes and streams.
I was a little bit cautious of the reel fitting, a metal "W" fitting held in place with screws. I wonder do they penetrate into the blank, some insert, or just cork. These fittings do well on heavy spey reels so I'm sure they are fine for trout reels. I like that it leaves a little bit of butt so your reel's not touching the ground, but prettier than an uplocking seat.
The cork seems especially smooth and finely shaped, the ruby red clear wraps are beautiful, and the white ink handwriting is classy.
I have very few pieces of fine tackle that I take care to keep in pristine condition - this is one.
-Vinnie in Juneau

Post 24 Jun 2008, 17:49 • #6 
Guide
A NIT Hardy Glass Perfection just went on the bay for $535.

Hardy, if you're listening, we need a new glass series, preferably by the same people who made the Glass Perfections. They were very well made.

Post 25 Jun 2008, 01:51 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
As crazy as it sounds I felt fortunate to get it at that price. I was afraid it would go a lot higher.

I sometimes worry, however, that these relatively high prices realized for desirable glass are not based in reality but are a product of "our little circle of friends". I wonder if all the bidders were members of the forum? Maybe there is an increasing broad based consumer demand for glass rods. Who knows?

I have to tell you that in order to rationalize my bid I actually went to the Scott and Winston websites to look at what the going rate was for quality three piece graphite 7 1/2' four weights. Those rods are just about $700 now! I feel a lot better. Actually I think it was a bargain.

Post 25 Jun 2008, 02:43 • #8 
Guide
Hardy also made a Perfection as a 7' 3wt. This rod was apparently for the home market. I picked one up in Great Britain for about $350 two years ago. They are gorgeous rods!

Post 25 Jun 2008, 11:18 • #9 
I have both the 6'6" 3-weight and the 7'6" 4-weight. Yes, they are slow, but with a Cortland Sylk DT in the rated weights, they truly are perfect for the mountain brookies we pursue most of the time around here. Once you get the right rhythm they are a joy to cast. For me, they roll cast particularly well.

Post 25 Jun 2008, 11:50 • #10 
Master Guide
Duff,

IMO, no rationalization there at all, well worth the price. Superb craftmanship and unique rod - easily comparable to a new Scott or Winston ,,,enjoy that fine rod ...

NB

Post 28 Jun 2008, 10:46 • #11 
Master Guide
Good to hear that Hardy took some care with the Perfection series. The workmanship on the older JET and Fibralite rods I've handled is no great shakes. No trim wraps on the guides, coarse thread wrapped imprecisely, middling grade of cork for the grips, finish prone to peeling and chipping ...

the JET rods are great tapers, though, especially if your preference runs to fast-for-glass. Powerful, with negligible tip bounce = long casting and accurate.

It's been officially reported that the Hardy USA headquarters is moving to Lancaster, Pennsylvania. As long as they're outsourcing, it would be nice to see them put a manufacturing facility there.

Post 07 Mar 2011, 05:33 • #12 
The seven-and-a-half Perfection was one of the greatest rods I've ever owned, and I regret selling it. It was a gorgeous rod, with spigot ferrules, ruby wraps, all cork seat. It cast like a dream, and had all the power I needed for the spring creeks in Wisconsin.

Post 08 Mar 2011, 04:49 • #13 
I'll echo others sentiments about the beauty and finish quality of the Hardy Perfection series. I have a 7 1/2' 4wt which I enjoy as a dry fly rod on smaller Central PA streams. I bought the rod slightly used from a member here who commented he liked the rod for bluegills. I have always wanted to give the rod a go for panfish but have not yet. The rod is full flexing and slower than most glass, perhaps similar if not even a little slower than a lamiglas. A Cortland DT-4 seems just right along with a Hardy Featherweight. I think this is the only rod I own with ferrule plugs and certainly one of the prettiest of modern rods in my opinion.

Post 09 Mar 2011, 07:31 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
David, I certainly agree that the Hardy Perfections were among the most beautiful of all glass rods. Black is not a color one would normally associate with a fiberglass fly rod but it works with this rod and the spiral writing is beautifully done.

Post 09 Mar 2011, 09:25 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Wow I guess it's open season.
"Hardy's soul-less owners don't understand their market niche."
" No more. Hardy is gone. Instead, the
Hardy knockoffs bear the Hardy name.
"
"Hardy, if you're listening, we need a new glass series, preferably by
the same people who made the Glass Perfections. They were very well
made."
Tight Lines and Look Out Hardy Loops
Andy M

Post 09 Mar 2011, 10:38 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Andy, I started this thread back in 2008 because of an interest in the Perfection, not to knock Hardy's move to Korean and Chinese production. It seemingly was revived a few days ago only to echo the positive comments about the Perfection rod. At the time, I, and I'm sure many others, had the same reaction to the off-shore move as Tom. Although I have had no experience with the new glass rods, I recently bought a Hardy Bougle Mk VII and found it to be the smoothest Hardy reel that I have ever owned. It's a fine reel. Of course I wish that Hardy would have kept their production in Alnwick not only because of tradition, but most importantly, to have saved all of those jobs; however, I have since come to terms with the new economic reality and freely admit that the the non-English Hardy reels are very nicely made and worthy of the Hardy name.

Post 24 Mar 2011, 08:00 • #17 
The 7 1/2' Perfection is the finest glass rod I have ever owned. And I still own it.

New Topic Add Reply