It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:35

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Mar 2008, 12:58 • #1 
Master Guide
Hey Guys

I've got a couple of questions about another Wright McGill rod.
This one's a 6 piece rod that's marked "Trailmaster 6'-9" "No 6TMF". I'd say it was kind of a Carmel colored blank with the type reel seat that adjusts from the bottom (screw lock?). It has 5 running guides and 1 stripper, plus the tip-top
Until I saw this one, I didn't know that Wright McGill made a rod that had more than 4 sections.
I just got around to test casting, and I'm impressed with how well it casts. Actually it wasn't a good test because the wind is honking along at 25-30 MPH, but it did OK.

My questions are:
An approximate manufacture date, and an estimate of its value.
Again, thanks for the help.

Post 26 Mar 2008, 13:27 • #2 
Emeritus
Hi evanslmtd, this one is a little easier than the last. The 6 piece Trailmaster was introduced in about 1968-two years after the 4 piece was introduced. Yours looks like it had the Eagle Claw emblem on the cork at one time. The rod has what WM calls universal action suitable for all types of fly fishing. The rod came with either an aluminum tube or the Vista Pack Carrying case. (Plastic) This rod has an unconditional Lifetime Warranty. I tested them a few years ago with mine and they replaced a missing part. If they can't fix it they will replace it with a new one. Granger uplocking reel seat, chrome plated stripper guide and tiptop and stainless snakes guides, brown nylon wraps with white mylar trim. The catalog doesn't specify a line size except in the spin/fly combo, but would start with a 6 or 7. In later years they specified a 7 wt. I use a 6 wf.

If you've check out ebay, you've noticed that there always seem to be several for sale all the time. Trailmasters seem to go from $50 to $100.

Post 26 Mar 2008, 14:14 • #3 
Master Guide
cofisher Thanks for the quick response and all the information. You are correct, it looks like it did have the Eagle Claw emblem on the grip. This one didn't have the tube or caring case. Is that style of reel seat also referred to as a "screw lock" seat?

Post 26 Mar 2008, 14:21 • #4 
Emeritus
Barry I've only heard it called the Granger uplocking reelseat. I think the screw lock reel seat is the downlocking seat with two nuts that lock the reel foot into the bottom of the seat.

Post 27 Mar 2008, 01:13 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:

cofisher said:

That rod has an unconditional Lifetime Warranty. I tested them a few years ago with mine and they replaced a missing part.

HA! I did the same thing a few years back.

I have the "mini ferrule" version that I bought back when I was a kid. When I called Eagle Claw and mentioned the Lifetime Unconditional Warranty I was politley told that the rod "didn't have a lifetime warranty". When I offered to send the customer service person a photocopy of the 30 year old warranty card I kept all of these years she asked me what I needed done.

I got a new tip section complete with the metal "mini ferrule"!

Post 27 Mar 2008, 10:15 • #6 
Guide
Yep, they still have a bunch of Trailmaster bits and pieces in the repair shop including unused butt sections with nice Granger uplocking reelseats on em'.

Post 14 Jan 2021, 17:44 • #7 
The Trailmaster 4 piece rod was introduced in 1960. 8 years before the 6pc.

Post 21 Jan 2021, 10:30 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I just sold one of those in the spin/fly version on the bay, I think it went for $39. Pretty clunky caster with a 7wt (which is what it said on rod) I can't imagine using anything less on it.
I would not sell the fly version, I really like the colors and trim on these. I do a lot of backpacking, and I would use it hard....I do have the 4pc w MiniFerrules and use it quite a bit. It too is rated 7wt, but is more of a 8wt in my hands.

Post 13 Feb 2021, 09:10 • #9 
It can be only 2 years possible for date of manufacture. Either 1968 or 69. In 1970 the Mini-ferrules were introduced and the letter "M" was added at the beginning of the model number (This rod does not have mini-ferrules). Technically this rods production would have been late 67 - late 69. If you have the original aluminum tube which at least you believe is the original, then you can pinpoint the year. If your tube has the strap loop attachments on the ends of the tube, then your rod was made in 69. No loops would mean 68.

Post 20 Feb 2021, 23:24 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Trailmaster...my 1968 and 1969 Eagle Claw catalogs show the same exact aluminum tube for the 6pc Trailmasters. It's also mentions that there was a "Vista" pack option (versus aluminum tube) both years. What information do you have that there was a difference between the aluminum tubes offered for 1968 and 1968 rods? Thanks.

Post 30 Mar 2021, 06:16 • #11 
It is in the 69 catalog. Page 10 lower right

New Topic Add Reply