It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:24

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Feb 2014, 14:47 • #26 
Inactive
Whitefish Press wrote:
In a nutshell here it is: Yes, the Spigot-ferruled rods were made by 3M Phillipson in Minneapolis. The 1974 3M catalog lists their Phillipson fly rods in two colors -- Series A (Caramel Tan--9 models) and Series C (Burgundy--5 models). The difference between the two, in addition to different glass (and color) was the spigot ferrule on the Series C as seen above.

So for my own edification, if I understand you, the pics of my rod above was NOT made on a Fisher blank?

Whitefish Press wrote:
had so much fun doing the Sila-Flex book that I want to continue this series; I have just got a full set of Scott catalogs and will turn to that company next when Phillipson is done, and then hopefully do Winston, T&T, NARMCo/Garcia, Fenwick, Actionrod, and some others. Hope to have about a dozen or more when all is said and done.

That would be SO awesome. Sign me up for the whole series!

Randy

Post 22 Feb 2014, 18:30 • #27 
Guide
@promptbr -- As far as I know (and I have seen nothing in the records to indicate otherwise) neither Phillipson nor 3M Phillipson ever sold a rod that was not made by machines designed and built by Bill Phillipson.

Post 23 Feb 2014, 08:31 • #28 
Master Guide
Randy thanks for posting the pictures. Yours looks like its in perfect unused condition?

This is the first time I have been able to compare one of these to one that I found a couple years back. Mine is used and its a GREAT fly rod. I love casting it a lot. Always thought it was a home built phillipson. I never thought mine was right because of the color, stripping guide, reel seat and grip.

Last edited by myfly on 23 Feb 2014, 19:52, edited 2 times in total.

Post 23 Feb 2014, 19:49 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
This has been a great thread, even if I only have one Philipson. Todd, I gotta read the book.

Post 23 Feb 2014, 19:53 • #30 
Guide
Can't wait for the Phillipson book. Just got the Silaflex book, and it's very interesting and a great resource. Keep up the great work, Todd!

Kevin

Post 23 Feb 2014, 20:43 • #31 
Guide
@uppercreek Thanks! These are definitely a labor of love, and the Sila-Flex book is no different than the Phillipson one. Got to get this history out while we its still available. .. and it takes a lot of help.

Post 24 Feb 2014, 06:01 • #32 
Administrator
Whitefish Press wrote:
In a nutshell here it is: Yes, the Spigot-ferruled rods were made by 3M Phillipson in Minneapolis. The 1974 3M catalog lists their Phillipson fly rods in two colors -- Series A (Caramel Tan--9 models) and Series C (Burgundy--5 models). The difference between the two, in addition to different glass (and color) was the spigot ferrule on the Series C as seen above.

Todd, Sorry to be a pain, but I would like to know specifically why you think that catalog listing refers to spigot ferruled blanks? Could you post the page? That information isn't in the previous post of the 1974 catalog that you made.

There are earlier forum posts with the Series C burgundy blanks. When the ferrule is pictured, the photos show glass sleeve ferrules, not spigots.

I realize three instances do not constitute definitive proof. But I couldn't find any instances of Series C Phillipson blanks with spigot ferrules, either on the forum or the web.

Tom

Post 24 Feb 2014, 08:20 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
Dr. Todd, another topic that would begreat to include in your forthcoming Phillipson book, would be to confirm or dispell the suspiscion that Cortland 'Crown' series fly rods (with "metal-glas" ferrules) were built on blanks supplied by Phillipson.

Post 24 Feb 2014, 13:42 • #34 
Master Guide
FWIW: The 2 blanks I recently received are both labeled identically (including A701), even though 1 blank has the sleeve ferrule and the other blank the spigot ferrule. While they are different colors and the dark brown glass feels just a bit heavier, the tapers appear to be the same.

They are labeled:

Phillipson 3M Epoxite
A701 7'0" #5

Post 24 Feb 2014, 17:26 • #35 
Administrator
LeoCreek, any chance of posting some side-by-side photos? Pretty please?

Also, what color is the glass inside the female ferrules? Or, what color is the glass looking into the but section?

Tom

Post 25 Feb 2014, 01:53 • #36 
Master Guide
Here are a couple of photos that Randy sent me. They're not lined up end to end in the photos, but they do show the Phillipson labeling.

I'll try to get a couple of photos of the inside of the butt ends of the blanks this coming weekend.

Post 25 Feb 2014, 10:33 • #37 
Guide
@Tom I can only make my claim based on having seen the documents. I will contact Don Phillipson as he can give a definitive answer (he ran Phillipson when his father suffered a major heart attack and, as a lawyer, facilitated all aspects of the sale to 3M). He would know for sure. Until told otherwise, I stand by my assertion that all rods marked Phillipson were made on Phillipson-designed equipment, including the spigot ferrule burgundy blanks (which, correct me if I'm wrong, are identical in color and material to the three blanks you referenced without spigot ferrules).

Post 14 Mar 2014, 17:53 • #38 
Guide
Just heard back from Don, he says that the spigot rod was definitely NOT made in Denver, but was a post-1974 Minneapolis 3M design. Since all the machinery was packed up and shipped to Minneapolis and used there for about 18 months, it's definitely a Phillipson Rod Co. rod but perhaps it would be fair to say it is not a Bill Phillipson rod, although he would have certainly had a hand in designing it. They have a shockingly small window to have been made and sold, and I am beginning to wonder if they ever manufactured more than a thousand of them in total, given the production numbers I saw for the end of the company's history.

Post 16 Mar 2014, 08:34 • #39 
Guide
Whitefish Press wrote:
Here's something for all the Swedes out there -- Bill Phillipson's Swedish passport

Very cool. Sharp looking lad!

The stamps give away where the passport was issued. Do you know where in Sweden he lived, and when he immigrated to the U.S.?

/Mike

Post 15 Aug 2014, 09:50 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
lt's a bit late but thought I'd add to this conversation. I recently acquired a Phillipson Epoxite 3M rod. It's a darker brown EF76 with spigot ferrules and one tip. I PM'd Fred who I knew had a dark mustard colored Phillipson Epoxite rod with two tips and the traditional Phillipson tip-over-butt ferrules. Both rods are in the 6wt class though mine will cast a 5wt very nicely too. He told me that his rod tip mic'd out to 0.098" below the tiptop. So did mine. I mic'd my Winston/Fisher 7'6" 5/6wt too and it too casts a bit better with the 6wt. So all three rods are somewhat comparable. The Winston mic'd out to 0.085" below the tiptop. The three cast differently but from what I recall, the two Epoxites cast much,much closer to each other than they do to the Winston. In addition, when I first got my Epoxite and cast it, I had immediate deja vu. It cast just like my Wanigas Ausable, though I don't have that rod any more. There are pics of a Wanigas Ausable elsewhere on the board. It's dark brown with chocolate brown wraps and has spigot ferrules. Mine was just like that. Also from what I can tell, both the Wanigas and this Epoxite spigoted rod have the same stripping guide as do the Scientific Angler System rods did of the same era.

I'm led to believe that Phillipson did some experimenting with his rod patterns using SA components, including the spigot ferrules. But by using the spigoted ferrules, I am of the opinion that he also came up with a better rod. Whether Phillipson changed the taper while with 3M, I don't know (I just measured the tip), but I can tell you that I do prefer the spigoted Phillipson over the tip-over butt variety. It seems to have a more progressive feel to it. It is a delight to cast as was the Wanigas Ausable.

Post 30 May 2020, 08:58 • #41 
Guide
Re-reading this thread makes me happy to have a plethora of phillipsons to enjoy.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply