It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 04:21

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Feb 2014, 14:20 • #1 
Master Guide
Hello,
Has anyone seen a Phillipson factory built rod made on the 3M Epoxite dark brown blank with fiberglass spigot ferrule? If so, please post a photo or two if you happen to have one.

From what I can gather, these were manufactured in 1974 and possibly into 1975 after Bill Phillipson had sold the company.

I have seen quite a few factory rods, both photos and a few in person, that were built on the kind of honey/yellowish colored blanks with the glass sleeve ferrule with the ferrule ring, that were also labeled 3M Epoxite. But those were all made up through 1972-1973 from what I can tell, before Bill actually sold the company to 3M. < The Phillipson catalogs during that time, that still showed the sleeve ferrule, even the 1974 catalog posted by Whitefish Press, state that the rods were a "special brown color" ... and even some of the rods from this era on Rick's Rods site mention that "special brown color" ... but they really looked to be kind of a honey color to me. >

Anyway, thanks for any additional info or photos of the dark brown Phillipson 3m Epoxite with spigot ferrule.

Post 17 Feb 2014, 15:17 • #2 
Administrator
I've seen them. As near as I can tell, these rods were not cataloged or advertised. To me they have more in common with the Scientific Anglers rods of the day than the Phillipsons. At the time, 3M owned both companies. Also, near as I can tell, these rods have brown glass under the paint. Phillipson Epoxites were made with 3M Scotchply, which is white glass.

My suspicion is the rods were made in the time frame you say, or perhaps a little later, but never actually marketed. There is a lot about the rods that says 'Fisher sourced' to me (solid spigots, brown glass, and the reel seats). Perhaps 3M changed course and mothballed everything - Phillipson trademark included. Then they put their marketing muscle into the Scientific Anglers graphite product line. Since then the rods and blanks have slowly trickled onto the secondary market.

I've got an 8 footer built on one of these blanks and I've seen a couple of other lengths. Mine is a nice casting rod, no doubt. It doesn't feel exactly like a Scientific Anglers System rod, nor does it feel exactly like an Epoxite. But it is a really nice classic rod. I just can't tell you how it came into existence. If anyone has a catalog or magazine advertisement for these rods it would help immensely.

Tom

Post 17 Feb 2014, 15:40 • #3 
Guide
I just sold a 7' 5wt with the spigot ferrule to one of the members here, along with a 7' 5 wt with the sleeve ferrule. Both in new/mint condition. send me an e-mail and I will send you a couple of pictures of them. Hell Tom, I just paid attention to who posted this and it was you.

Post 17 Feb 2014, 16:30 • #4 
Master Guide
A couple or three yrs back there was a couple of those brown spigoted Phillipson/3M rods sold on Ebay as single tip Registered Midges, 6'6" and a 7". Everything about them looked correct other being brown with brown spigot ferrules. IIRC they brought between $350-$400.

Post 17 Feb 2014, 16:51 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Fisher-made blanks re-branded as Phillipson 'Expoxite'.

Good rods (because Fisher made great-performing tapers) but not in any way a Bill Phillipson designed fly rod. "Phillipson" in name only ...

Post 17 Feb 2014, 23:46 • #6 
Master Guide
Corlay, are you saying that these dark brown spigot ferruled Phillipson 3M Epoxite blanks from 1974-1975 were not based on tapers designed by Bill Phillipson?

What about the honey colored sleeve/ring ferruled Phillipson 3M Epoxite blanks from just a year or so previous, from 1972-1973? Not a Bill Phillipson taper design?

I know the salmon colored blanks from 1970-1971 were pre-3M. Were these a different taper than the honey colored blanks from a year or so later? (they were both Scotchply, as far as I know).

Anyway, I'm just curious and trying to better wrap my mind around some more of the Phillipson history.

Thanks for any additional info, and the info so far!

Post 18 Feb 2014, 00:03 • #7 
Administrator
I agree with Corlay these are probably not Phillipson designed tapers. Epoxite was a tradename - 3M could stick it on fishing hats, airplanes, and cookware. I also suspect Fisher was the source of these rods, but there are no labels or tags or paperwork to prove it. The actual build date is fuzzy too. However, the one I have is a perfectly fine rod.

The salmon colored blanks (1970-71) and the tan colored blanks labeled 3M (1972-73-74) are probably the same Bill Phillipson designed tapers, but with different paint. I have not handled enough matching pairs of rods to be sure. However, I encourage anyone reading this thread to send their Phillipson Epoxites to me for casting tests. I will interact with Corlay to perform a standardized double blind casting test protocol to compare and contrast rod tapers. ;)

Tom

Post 18 Feb 2014, 08:22 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
^5 Tom!

Post 18 Feb 2014, 08:31 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
LeoCreek wrote:
Corlay, are you saying that these dark brown spigot ferruled Phillipson 3M Epoxite blanks from 1974-1975 were not based on tapers designed by Bill Phillipson?

Yes.

Unless ... Bill had a deal in the works with Fisher to produce blanks w spigot ferrules on his proprietary mandrels - which I doubt. The timing of the brown/spigot ferrule rods coincides with the sale of the company to 3M. Much more likely these rods are 3M with "Epoxite" labeling.

LeoCreek wrote:
sleeve/ring ferruled

Anything with this type of ferrule would be a true Phillipson taper. This is technology that Bill developed while he owned the company.

Post 18 Feb 2014, 09:39 • #10 
Master Guide
corlay wrote:
Fisher-made blanks re-branded as Phillipson 'Expoxite'.

Good rods (because Fisher made great-performing tapers) but not in any way a Bill Phillipson designed fly rod. "Phillipson" in name only ...

Absolutely no doubt in my mind. So much so that I wouldn't consider one of those brown spigoted 3M/Phillipsons in my quest for a Registered Midge other than a curiosity.

Post 18 Feb 2014, 13:15 • #11 
Guide
Not to give too much away, but I am in the process of laying out a definitive book on Phillipson right now. I think people will learn an absolute ton about Phillipson that was formerly speculation, especially concerning the 3M years. By the way, like the Sila-Flex book, this one will contain a complete set of Phillipson catalogs from the first one in 1948 all the way to the unpublished 3M press material from 1975, provided by Rick and Marilyn from Rick's Rods and Don Phillipson (Bill's son). It's going to be a huge book (trying to keep it at one volume is a lot of work).

It should set the record straight in almost all cases concerning what is, to me, the most underrated rod company in tackle history.

-- Dr. Todd

Post 18 Feb 2014, 13:18 • #12 
Guide
By the way, I think the level of Bill's involvement at 3M will astound people. I went through approximately 1000 pages of correspondence between Bill and the folks at 3M concerning Phillipson rods. .. suffice to say, even to the team of 3M Ph.D.s working on Scotchply, Bill was a genius.

-- Dr. Todd

Post 18 Feb 2014, 13:37 • #13 
Master Guide
Of course he was a genius; he was a Swede! I will certainly look forward to the publishing of this Phillipson book.

Post 18 Feb 2014, 16:46 • #14 
Administrator
Whitefish Press wrote:
Not to give too much away ...

Todd, don't be a tease. What can you tell us about the brown spigot ferrule blanks?

Tom

Post 18 Feb 2014, 17:40 • #15 
Master Guide
Now there will be a book I'll need to own.

Post 21 Feb 2014, 20:32 • #16 
Guide
@Golfswithwolves: Here's something for all the Swedes out there -- Bill Phillipson's Swedish passport (courtesy of Don Phillipson):

-- Dr. Todd

Post 21 Feb 2014, 20:40 • #17 
Guide
@tom 3M definitely made fly rods under the Phillipson name in 1974 and 1975. .. Here is the introductory flyer from '74. 3M was extremely happy to be working with Bill:

-- Dr. Todd

Post 21 Feb 2014, 21:32 • #18 
Master Guide
Thanks for sharing this info, Dr. Todd. Very cool!

I received 2 7' 5wt Phillipson Midge blanks from Randy Ruwe a couple of days ago, both stamped Phillipson 3M Epoxite. These are outstanding blanks, and I am amazed at the sophisticated taper from 40 years ago. Bill Phillipson really was a master. And thanks, Randy!

One of the blanks is the yellowish tan / honey kind of color with the sleeve ferrule with the ring (circa 1972-1973 I believe), and the other blank is the dark brown color with the fiberglass spigot ferrule (circa 1974-1975 I think).

There has been some speculation that the later dark brown blanks were not actual Phillipson tapers, but both of these blanks appear that they may in fact be identical tapers. While the dark brown blank is just a little heavier glass, several measurements at various places along the lengths showed no differences. Very interesting ...

Post 21 Feb 2014, 23:26 • #19 
Guide
@Tom I forgot to answer your question. 3M era rods were definitely Phillipson (as in Bill Phillipson personally) designed blanks. When 3M bought the company, Bill signed a 3-year consulting contract and he was VERY active in communicating with Minneapolis. The 3M rods are not Fisher, they are 3M Phillipson.

Want to know the secret to Phillipson rods? Bill Phillipson was a champion caster and said that no one who could not cast expertly should be building fly rods. Here he is in 1948 casting 148 feet:

-- Dr. Todd

Post 22 Feb 2014, 03:21 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Are we not talking about the brown EF70? There was also a 6'6", same blank. I have the 7-footer, brown color, spigot, labeled 3M Epoxite, bronze slide rings. Mine is a factory build, and it's very pretty! There is an ad in the Johnson book, pg 84.

The Swede

Post 22 Feb 2014, 06:55 • #21 
Master Guide
chform,

could you post a few pictures of the ef70 factory rod? I would like to see the grip, reel seat, stripping guide and script area too if you can.

Post 22 Feb 2014, 10:45 • #22 
Inactive
Russ, ask and ye shall receive:

(broken images removed)

Last edited by Admin on 02 Mar 2014, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post 22 Feb 2014, 11:47 • #23 
Administrator
@Todd, you still haven't said anything specific about the spigot ferruled rods. What can you tell us about them?

Tom

Post 22 Feb 2014, 12:31 • #24 
Guide
In a nutshell here it is: Yes, the Spigot-ferruled rods were made by 3M Phillipson in Minneapolis. The 1974 3M catalog lists their Phillipson fly rods in two colors -- Series A (Caramel Tan--9 models) and Series C (Burgundy--5 models). The difference between the two, in addition to different glass (and color) was the spigot ferrule on the Series C as seen above.

FYI @chform's gorgeous, beautiful seven footer was listed as C702 in the final 3M catalog. It would have come with a folder with this:

I doubt any complete set of registered diploma (still signed by Bill Phillipson up the end of the 3M era), wallet card, patch, and 3 stickers exists.

I had so much fun doing the Sila-Flex book that I want to continue this series; I have just got a full set of Scott catalogs and will turn to that company next when Phillipson is done, and then hopefully do Winston, T&T, NARMCo/Garcia, Fenwick, Actionrod, and some others. Hope to have about a dozen or more when all is said and done.

-- Dr. Todd

Post 22 Feb 2014, 13:19 • #25 
Master Guide
Great thread, I learned something

Thank you

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply