It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:20

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Nov 2012, 00:07 • #1 
Guide
I was given a Martin Reel Company flyrod. Its an 8' 3pc 6/7. The blank is redish chocolate brown, black epoxy looking wraps tipped gold, grey plastic reel seat with aluminum hardware to hold the reel foot. Cork grip. I think its fiberglass as the ferule system and blank finish are very similar to current Eagle Claw, except for the color. Blank is labeled Korea and model MCR803C. It appears to be entry level flyrod marketed to the sporting goods section of department stores.

Since I don't have a camera, no pictures available.
Weather permitting, tomorrow I plan to lawn cast it.

Does anyone have any info on this rod or better yet fished it, let me know - Thanks, Neil

Post 28 Nov 2012, 21:14 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Cast it and see for yourself. I haven't cast this specific rod and I am always afraid of the low end fly rods. I've cast some real dogs (and that's insulting to our canine pals). However I also have a Berkley and Zebco that are a perfectly good fly rods.

Carl

Post 29 Nov 2012, 13:39 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
My first fly rod/outfit was a Martin kit. Foam grip, 3 pc. 8', with a 6 wt. level line. I put a 7 DT on it. Not horrible for panfish, although the guides are too small. But yeah, I too would not discount yours as maybe a decent rod. Sometimes the bottom end stuff still hits a sweet spot.

Post 29 Nov 2012, 20:58 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
For what it's worth ... I have 1971, 1991 and 1993 Martin Catalogs and your rod doesn't appear in any of them.

Post 30 Nov 2012, 16:44 • #5 
Guide
I believe the Korean ones date from the early 1990s and after. I have a 1970s Martin rod and it is underwhelming. They did make a perfectly serviceable fly reel though.

I have a fantastic Zebco fly rod from the early 1980s that has caught a lot of fish. Don't sweat on some of the Zebco stuff; although they made a name for themselves as makers of beginner reels, they also made the ABU Cardinal spinning reel (one of the best models ever made) and bought out Tycoon/Fin-Nor, the very top of the line for saltwater gear. Occasionally over the years they tried to enter the upper division of the tackle market and a few of the glass rods they sold are superb.

New Topic Add Reply