It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:54

New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Apr 2012, 09:18 • #1 
8', 4 piece Custom Rod by Shoff is labeled "Custom Made by Shoff, Kent Wn, #180, 5oz". When broken down, it fits in a green cloth sack and then is inserted into an aluminum tube with rubber end caps for travel. Like new. Does anyone know what the approximate current value of this rod is?

Post 03 Apr 2012, 10:29 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
as per the Johnson book Clarence Shoff started Lamiglass. The catalog pages in the book do not show the #180. However, from the weight it is probably a saltwater spinning rod or a bait rod of some kind. 5 ounces is a big rod. Even a 10 or 11 wt fl rod would only weigh about 4 oz.
welcome to the forum.

Post 19 May 2020, 14:44 • #3 
Hello, I have the same Shoff rod. I purchased it, if I recall correctly, sometime in 2013, because it was different. I would almost wonder if it is the exact same rod, but no indication here that yours was sold. Also , it was far from like new condition, the varnish was trashed (looks like put away very wet) and even the end caps were cracked, split and taped. So I tucked it away in the rod closet. I rediscovered it yesterday and am actually restoring it right now - just took a break to try to look up some info on it and I saw this old post. First, it's definitely a fly rod, with an ornate hooded, gold anodized down locking reel seat. I will add that there is a marking just below the female ferrule on the butt section that reads "HDH" 5oz". Since there is no AFTMA number the rod had to be made prior to 1961. So it's rated for a level 6 wt line, I would guess a WF-6 would also balance fine. I think all the large aluminum ferrules are the weight issue. It's thick at the butt but tapers finely in the tip, and like any 4 piece with aluminum ferrules would be, it's pretty stiff. So the rod is fast and with the quick tip I think would cast big dries and streamers a country mile with decent accuracy. I guess you could use it in the salt but at only 8 ft., I doubt it would be very practical. I intend to try it out on Lake Erie with weighted crab flies for small mouth bass.

Post 19 May 2020, 15:28 • #4 
Administrator
I think the original poster hoped for an offer to buy the rod. He/she has never returned since that post.

The "HDH" marking implies late 50s, early 60s. When the AFTMA system was agreed on, few rod makers adopted it immediately. Most makers at best put dual markings on their rods. By the mid to late 60s, the AFTMA markings were much more common.

The conversion charts published in the 60s/70s almost always equate an HDH line with a 6 weight. It really wasn't that easy. An HDH silk line might fall between the 5 weight and 6 weight sizes. Also the silk line absorbed water, meaning it gained weight throughout the day. I often find rods marked for an HDH line fish well with a DT5 line. I recommend trying your rod with a 'light' line and a 'heavy' line, because your casting style might not match the rod rating. That rating is simply the rod maker's opinion on what line would work best for a typical fisherman.

Is there any chance you could post photos of your rod? We don't see many Shoff fly rods.

Tom

New Topic Add Reply