It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:44

New Topic Add Reply
St. Croix 09FF-80ML
Post 16 Jun 2005, 13:42 • #1 
I have a St. Croix 09FF-80ML rod in good-very good condition.

I've contacted St. Croix and they advised that it was only made from 1976-78 "making your rod quite collectible".

Unfortunately, they were unable to provide a fair market value. Anyone have any thoughts?

THANKS!

St. Croix 09FF-80ML
Post 17 Jun 2005, 03:01 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I don't know their codes. What's the length and line wt? Two pieces?
Bob

St. Croix 09FF-80ML
Post 17 Jun 2005, 07:09 • #3 
2 piece, 7 or 8 or maybe 7/8 weight. I believe 6 foot.

Thanks!

St. Croix 09FF-80ML
Post 17 Jun 2005, 07:14 • #4 
Sorry - 8 feet long - NOT 6!

St. Croix 09FF-80ML
Post 20 Jun 2005, 02:58 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
No one more knowledgable has chimed, but they may not. I haven't seen a whole lot of discussion over the years about St. Croix glass. What there has been is favorable as far as fishing, but I don't think there is anything special about collectibility, or a lot of guys particularly interested.

I have a 7 ft 5/6 wt. St. Croix. I asked about it on Clark's old board, and he said about $70. In general, shorter/lighter is usually more valuable than longer/heavier. Mine has a metal ferrule with an o-ring on the male side. Probably from the 60's. Yours is from an era about at the end of their fiberglass production, I would imagine, so probably more advanced. Is it a fiberglass ferrule? You might want to check the reel seat with a couple of modern era reels; mine's a little small for most current reels.

Bob

St. Croix 09FF-80ML
Post 22 Jun 2005, 05:18 • #6 
Guide
I haven't seen a St. Croix ever sell in the price range that indicates any collectibility factor.
They had a great reputation for good rods at low prices. When I bought my first rod, a $12 St. Croix in seventh grade flytying activity class, the great Art teacher Joe Mamome straightned out the kids that were teasing me - "Any St. Croix is a good fly rod!" Now I only have two graphite singlehand fly rods, out of about 80, and one of them is a St. Croix.

They were a high volume low price producer.
The models I have seen did not have high end fittings, but I amy not have seen their higher end models.

Very few of their rods were babied at all, so one in near mint condition, if a high end model, might eventually see some collector interest. Upstream Bob's, the Aluminum o-ring ferrule was about the top kind of ferrule before integral glass ferrules were developed in the sixties, the model you have is probably a lot better than my $12 1968 rod.

I for one have some sentimental attachment. And if glass rods continue to increase, the same thing might happen to Early St. Croix as has with bamboo Grangers and Heddons, and to a lesser extent South Bends, which some might consider the bamboo equivalent to St. Croix.

Anyways, even moreso than most other rods -your St. Croix has much more value for fishing than anything else - and iftaken care of will not hurt it's value much by fishing.

-Vinnie in Juneau

New Topic Add Reply