It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:33

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Jul 2005, 03:52 • #1 
Sport
I just scored a minty Shakespeare 7'9" Wonderod, model #1481, at a flea market-don't know much about this particular rod. It throws a 5WF/F very nicely (lawn cast) and I'm confident it will handle a 6 line as well. Shaft is white, the guides are a wrapped in black with red accents, the ferrules are blue/black.

Anyone know more about this rod?

Thanks in advance!

Post 12 Jul 2005, 01:27 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
Anyone know more about this rod?

Yes. I will check my catalogs tonight and post again.

Post 12 Jul 2005, 14:05 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Your rod appeared in the 1960 and 1961 Shakespeare catalogs. List price for the rod in 1961 was $24.95.

It is rated for HDH and 6MH lines. These are equivalent to AFTMA DT6F and WF9F lines. Can't tell you about the disparity in the two line weights. I've always been puzzled about that, but many Shakespeare Wonderods were rated that way. It is a fast taper rod (called Omni-Action in the catalog). I suppose the powerful butt and light tip allow it to handle a wide range of line weights.

Post 13 Jul 2005, 04:33 • #4 
Sport
Gaddis,

Thank you for the information! You are spot on; the rod does have a delicate tip and a strong butt. I've tried lines 5-7 on it and they all work well lawn casting. I'm taking it out today on a pond that has some BIG bass, that should be a fitting test.

Do you have any information on how I can get my hands on a catalog listing Wonderods? I would like to get some different types, especially one with an old fashion wet fly action.

Post 13 Jul 2005, 05:18 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I haven't run across any Wonderods that I would say have a wet fly action, but if I see one I will let you know.

The only way I know of to get Shakespeare catalogs is to look for them on eBay or to purchase copies of catalog pages from organziations like O.R.C.A. (Here's a link) I have many of the catalogs. I had an extra copy of one but just sold it recently or I would have offered it to you. What time frame are you looking for?

Post 14 Jul 2005, 05:26 • #6 
Sport
Gaddis,

Thanks again! I'm in no hurry, I know what type of action I'm looking for now. Something that flexes more in the butt, hopefully in the 5wt range.

New Topic Add Reply