It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:18

New Topic Add Reply
Phillipson Powr Kast
Post 14 Jul 2005, 23:07 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I have a Powr Kast in my collection. It's the T80, which is 8'0" and rated HDH. At first, I figured I'd resell it for a modest profit but I cast it with a #6 WF longbelly line ... and really like the action. The metal ferule bump doesn't bug me!?! It's NOT collector's grade (more justification for keeping it). No tube, sock, etc. The reel seat is a pale pink from sun fading. Only the spot where the reel foot sat is red. The ferules are nice and tight though and it's very fishable.
I do have a few Q's. The wraps are red. No foil or tipping. Would that be original? Also, the grip is varnished over. Any suggestions on how I should proceed to remove it (the varnish/laquer)? Last Q; any of you have Phillipsons? Which lines or models do you like best? Thanks, -SD

Phillipson Powr Kast
Post 15 Jul 2005, 08:27 • #2 
Guide
Red is the original wrap color to go with the red reel seat.
The 8' HDH rod from Phillipson's early era, with the natural caramel colored glass is about my favorite Phillipson for general trout fishing. I have a couple Philipsons of that era in that size range, including my beloved Red Green R80 with the red & green reel seat.
I think you are right on with the long belly weight forward 6. A double taper will load it well too, and with a standard wf 6 I can cast almost the whole line, and it's good for wind too.

The varnish on the cork is definitely not original and that's a shame someone did that. You may be able to get it off with rubbing alcohol and very fine steel wool; this works for devarnishing bamboo.
Because of the porous nature of the cork it might turn into a gooey mess.
Stronger solvents like acetone would probably work, at your risk to your health.

Good fishing,
Vinnie in Juneau

New Topic Add Reply