It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:21

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Jun 2005, 06:05 • #1 
Has the price of older glass rods gone up in your area,,last year i was buying nice fenwicks 10 to 50 dollars at the fleamarkets. this year only saw 1 and the guy wanteded 80 bucks and the guides was falling off. lol , the good old days are over. maybe eBay gets them now.

Post 09 Jun 2005, 11:59 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I agree, prices are up but they are seasonal. Better rods turn up less frequebntly than they used to--you will generally have a hard time finding an FF70, even on ebay. I notice that most of the lighter weights and lengths command prices that were unheard of a couple of years ago. The most comon listings are now heavier weights and longer lengths.

I sold a very nice Pre-Browning Sila Flex 7 1/2 6 wt on eBay a few months ago and it went for more than $200 which surprised me.

Graphite will always have those that want faster rods and more tip flex ... ultimately they will only flex between the tip and the first guide :-0 While I have a few graphite rods that I really enjoy, I reach for glass first almost all the time.

paveglass

Post 10 Jun 2005, 14:45 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Here is one for you ... this rod bid to $87 and didn't meet the reserve price. cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI ... IT&rd=1You never saw a reserve like that a year ago. This rod would have gone for about $75.

paveglass

Post 10 Jun 2005, 22:48 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
It's obvious some folk have an unrealistic idea of what their wares are really worth (or they're truly greedy). Like you, I'm surprised to see the bidding went as high as it did. Quite frankly, I would refuse to bid on a rod with such a high reserve ... just out of principle! Wait and watch, there'll be another like it and it'll go for LESS. We, as a group would help ourselves if we were to practice some restraint.

Post 11 Jun 2005, 03:07 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I think it comes from the fact that people expect to pay nearly $700 for a fly rod and compared to that, a $100 rod is truly a bargain ... as we all certainly believe. All the best.

Scud dog--are you from CO?

paveglass

Post 11 Jun 2005, 06:36 • #6 
I think paveglass,hit the nail on the head. the older fiberglass have been a bargain for a lot of years. graphite is ok but will never replace glass for me. If i needed a rod to fish with thy are still a great bargain. supply and demand.

Post 12 Jun 2005, 01:03 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I traded for a matching pair of Fenwick's the other day; an FF807 and an FF705, complete with sock and those triangular fenwick cases. The rods were in excellent shape, almost looked unfished. Is there a way to tell when they were built? They have the fiberglass ferrules, not the metal. Any information would be helpful-p-

Post 12 Jun 2005, 05:06 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
The serial number on the rod should start with a letter. I BELIEVE but am NOT sure that "D" means 1964, E-65, F-66, etc. The latest letter I have ever seen on fiberglass is M, which would have been in 1973 when they started making graphite and the company was purchased by Woodstream. From 1973 to 1979, Fenwick was owned by Woodstream and the label on the rod should show it. My Woodtream FL-7 has an "S" leading the serial number (1979?).

The earliest Fenwicks were made on Grizzly blanks. Then Fenwick made their own. I have an old broad weave, light brown fiberglass FF84, 8 1/2 ft for 5 wt with, believe it or not, ferrulite ferrules. Later the FF XX series (translucent brown blanks) came on and later yet the FF XXX series of rods (opaque brown blanks) were produced. Earliest rods were sold with aluminum tubes and red plaid flannel socks, then they went to the plastic triangular case and the socks were green plaid flannel, later solid red and green socks. Most were downlocking reel seats but there were some near the end of the production that had uplocking reel seats on the traditional Fenwick grip.

When Woodstream owned them they were relabeled FL-6, FL-7 etc in increasing weight and length--the range of rods was significantly reduced ... but the tapers were mature and they are nice rods--many in less usual 1/4 ft lengths (7 3/4', 8 1/4').

Modern Fenglass rods come with a different grip, uplocking reel seats, brown nylon sock, and the signature triangular tube.

Great rods all.

paveglass

Post 13 Jun 2005, 00:23 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
thanks for the info. i looked at my rods closer. The five weight is in a case that says fenwick/woodstream; the 7 case says only fenwick; both in green rod socks made of nylon. the 7 has a serial # R104001; the five has no serial #.Both have downlocking seats with fenwick grip and hookkeeper.the five has brown, almost burgandy wraps with white accents and the seven has brownish tan wraps with white accent. Good info; I apreciate it-p-

Post 13 Jun 2005, 11:28 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I suspect that both of those rods have the little square style hook keeper. If so they are relatively late in the production. Should be nice rods. How soft is the FF705? Does it load with a short line or can you get some distance out of it? I have never cast one and have always wondered how they compare to the FF70 (7 ft 5 wt), and FF756 (7 1/2 ft 6 wt).

paveglass

Post 14 Jun 2005, 00:58 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
The seven is kinda medium soft; not as soft as a Browning/Silaflex that i have, nor as stiff as a Wright/McGill 7'-7 wght which I have. I think the rod will fish best with a #6 line, even though it calls for a 7. I test cast the rod with a 7 wght line (wf) and it was difficult to cast more than 50 feet; in fact I was running into a big loss of line speed between 45-50 foot; course that is further than I plan to fish with the rod-p-

Post 15 Jun 2005, 13:34 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
the little 5 is a moderately soft rod, but has enough backbone to cast 50 feet with wf-5 line. I used it river fishing with a popper and was amazed at how well it handled; very accurate and versatile. It is now my favorite glass rod(i'm stupid ;;;reread your question which i answered incorrectly the first time)-p-

Post 31 Jul 2005, 03:55 • #13 
Wow, lots of good information here. Searching for info on my Fenwick Fly Rod is how I located this forum.

My rod is an FF806-4, a 4 piece backpackers rod. The serial # starts with an "M" so I assume a manufacture date of 1973 which sounds about right for the year I purchased it. It comes in the Triangular tube with the red sock.

It's been a great rod for fishing those small streams and even though I haven't used it in years, I look forward to the day I have the time to 'get the line wet' again.

Doc

New Topic Add Reply