It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:31

New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Jul 2005, 09:26 • #1 
I have a nice (at least to me!) Horrocks Ibbotson Crown Imperial Custom Glass Fly Rod in an HI aluminum tube and nifty carrying bag. I was thinking about selling it on Ebay, but looking at the way custom rods go, I would probably be better off selling the aluminum tube empty! Why do vintage custom rods seem to be held in such negative regard? I would have thought that the hand numbering would fetch a premium. Is there any real market for custom rods?

Post 05 Jul 2005, 02:32 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
tell us what you want for it; maybe someone here will want it; you never know what it will bring on ebay; sometimes they are very good; other times they sell cheap-p-

Post 05 Jul 2005, 12:09 • #3 
Here's an attempt to show some pics of the rod. I'm just shocked to see that similar rods don't sell well on Ebay! I may have found something to collect! I was hoping to get at the very least $75, but I know that is way out of market right now. Maybe this will be a classic 20 years from now. I'm still curious why people see the custom ones as a penalty. I'll probably keep it and give it to my sons when they grow up.

Post 06 Jul 2005, 05:04 • #4 
Emeritus
That's a nice rod you've got there. Its a spinning rod, so that definitely limits it's value. For whatever reason, older spinning rod don't get the same collector interest as fly gear and even baitcasters (ever check out the prices on split cane baitcasters?).

I doubt you'd get $75 even though the rod is worth it.

My $0.02.

Joe C.

Post 06 Jul 2005, 09:57 • #5 
Thanks for the info! Shows how much I know about older rods. I always thought that the free reel holding rings, or whatever they are called, were in the domain of the fly reel. Any guess on the year for this rod? I was thinking mid 50's, but I really don't know. If I did I would pick up a decent correct reel in it's box and save it as a set for one of my boys. And at the price they are going for right now, I'll probably pick up a similar set for my other kid!

Post 12 Jul 2005, 01:35 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I saw your post about this rod on another board. I assumed you knew it was a spinning rod so my suggestion (and everybody else's) for a reel was for a spinning reel.

As I said in my other post, I have an H-I catalog which mentions the Registered Rod series. Apparently, each rod was given a serial number that was registered with the owner's name at the factory. I doubt if they sold a lot of these rods so it might be pretty rare. It may be worth something to an H-I collector. How much, I couldn't say. If it was mine, I'd probably just keep it.

From the photos it looks to be a solid glass rod. Can you confirm this?

Post 13 Jul 2005, 11:41 • #7 
You're right, I posted here first since I thought it was a fly rod, then I posted for the reel suggestions over there, because I know they would have some good suggestions for a reel over there. I'm on a business trip right now, but if you give me some advice on how to tell a solid glass rod, I'll sure check once I get home! Hopefully when I get home the rod similar to this one (but not as nice as far as I can tell from Ebay) that I bought to have a pair for my sons will be there waiting for me! I'll have 2 reels to pick up at that point! Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Post 17 Aug 2005, 10:54 • #8 
Piscator
I picked up a True mint H-I spinning rod for $10 on ebay.
I suggest this is a better venue if you want to sell, or keep it if it's worth more to you.

New Topic Add Reply