It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:08

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Oct 2005, 14:14 • #1 
Sport
I was looking at a 8' 6" Fengalss rod. It is rated for a 6# but I was wondering how it would cast a 5#. Also what kid of an action it has. I prefer medium to fast action rod. Thanks,Mark.

Post 17 Oct 2005, 17:27 • #2 
Sport
I owned one of these and quickly sold it. It was very top heavy and I couldn't get a heavy enough reel to balance it in order to have the feel I like. I think it is the worst of the Fenglass series with the six footer being the best.

Randy

Post 17 Oct 2005, 21:27 • #3 
FFR Founder
It's generally agreed that the new 8.5' 6 wt. Fenglass is a dog. I would recommend the 7.5', with a 5 weight. It is as sweet as can be. The old Ferrulite series 8.5' for 6 is a delightful rod as well and not hard to find. Cheers, Alec

Post 17 Oct 2005, 23:01 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with Flytackle but have found that a 6 WF smooths out the 7 1/2 ft rod and I like it better than with a 5 wt line for which it is labeled.

Also, I agreee the 6 ft is the best of the bunch if you can afford to give away a capability to mend.

paveglass

Post 21 Oct 2005, 10:17 • #5 
Guide
does anyone have insight on a Fenwick (maybe Ferulite?) that is 7'8"? I have a couple of the same length GFF's that were designed for PA ffishing (4wt) and they are delightlful.

I saw the 7'8" glass and should have snapped it up.

Post 08 Nov 2005, 06:02 • #6 
Piscator
I use the 6' Fenglass for a streamer rod, smallmouths in tiny overhung creeks - it's wonderful.

Post 08 Nov 2005, 09:33 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Not to hijack, but Bulldog, that stream looks pretty open, and I would have gone for more length myself. Is the 6' just so sweet as a streamer rod? Or is there more cover than it looks right there?

I use the 5'3" for brookie streams in GA and NC, and sometimes wish there was a 4'.

Bob

Post 08 Nov 2005, 14:03 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
lestrout,

In the later years of Fenwick production, when they were owned by Woodstream, they produced some nice rods in non-standard (if there is such a thing) lengths. I believe the one you are talking about is called the FL-6. I have also heard of an earlier Fenwick version of a 7'8" rod for a 6 wt that MIGHT be labeled as a FF-786, but I don't know. I have seen very few rods in that length come across eBay and they draw pretty good prices. One of the guys here on the board had one that he wanted to sell--don't know if he's still around or whether he sold it or not.

paveglass

Post 10 Nov 2005, 05:22 • #9 
Piscator
Bob, it's looking at the plunge pool where the two forks of a river converge. Behind, the river is barely 5' wide and the trees close in tight.

Post 10 Nov 2005, 06:22 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks. That 6' keeps getting some good press, I'll have to keep my eyes open. I only fish small steam bass once a year or so, but if you do it regularly, how do you get by without glass? I don't think anyone makes a short graphite in a 5 wt., much less heavier.
Bob

Post 10 Nov 2005, 16:53 • #11 
Master Guide
I believe JP ROSS makes a 5' 2wt rod & March Brown makes a 6 1/2 / 5 1/2 pack fly rod( both graphite)

Bill

Post 14 Nov 2005, 17:38 • #12 
Piscator
About short graphite, I have a Fisher Sterling Combo 5/6 - it has two handles to make either a 3-pc 6'9" or a 4-pc 8'10".
The short rod is a 6-wt. streamer rocket and casts great if you keep your leader down to the rod length. It will also roll cast out past 50'. (My best accomplishment on this rod was an honest 10-lb. largemouth in a gin-clear pond. I duck-walked across the dam so this fish wouldn't see me.) It has a thin butt section and a friendly parabolic taper. If you ever see a Fisher Combo, 3/4, 4/5 or 5/6 in GT40 or Sterling, don't let it get away.
The long rod has a classic progressive taper, and is a magic wand for 60-70' accuracy. (And great fish-fighting power - dozens of Russian River rainbows and a few 12-lb. sockeyes on this.)
for Flytackle:

I recently picked up Mike's Para 6'3" 5/6 - it's also a great streamer rod, and the parabolic action shines, hinging in the handle. Casts a wide range of line weights, from 4DT to 6WF.
The Fenwick 6'er flexes in a soft arc over the rod length, and is the best of the bunch for in short and delicate (also versatile on line weights). If it has a shortcoming, it's that it doesn't roll cast well (but functions fine in close).

The 6-1/2' Loomis GL3 "3-wt" graphite that they discontinued a couple of years ago is a very good all around 4-wt. I fished it exclusively one winter in our trout tailrace with many 16-18" rainbows. The next summer, I got very surprised with a 4-lb. smallmouth and managed to land it by resting the ferrule on my forearm.

Getting by? More often, I'm fishing cane, a 6'10" Tonka Princess. It's surprisingly light compared to the rest of the Tonka line and a great 5-wt. streamer rod. Flared butt gives it backbone - I wrestled a 16" endemic spotted bass with it last month.
The other is a 6' banty from SB cane - a very fun panfish rod and as delicate in close as the Fenglass. (I sight-dawbed a 6-lb. largemouth in an overgrown oxbow one day and was delighted when it spit the fly.)

Post 15 Nov 2005, 06:08 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
When I first started fly fishing, those Fishers were around, and if I had taken the plunge on any high money rod, that would have been it. One of the many missed opportunities of my increasingly old life.

I'm a little surprised the Fenwick 6' isn't a good roll caster; I think the 5'3" is a very good one, considering its length. Of course, there isn't much length there.

Yes, there is certainly shorter cane in heavier (i.e. mid) weights. I have a couple of cane rods, but I tend to leave them at home. I know they are not as tender as some fear, but whenever I have one in my hand, I fish, and cover ground, with the thought that I've got to pay attention to the possibility of breaking it. It just gets too much on my mind. But not with glass, and it's much cheaper to take a chance picking up an older glass rod.

Bob

New Topic Add Reply