It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:18

New Topic Add Reply
SA System 4 rod
Post 01 Nov 2005, 15:45 • #1 
Sport
About 30 years ago, a friend of mine got a SA System 4 outfit for his BD. My recollection was that is was a very good caster. Can any one update my memory on this one. It is the 7'2" 4wt built either by Hardy or Fisher.

SA System 4 rod
Post 04 Nov 2005, 20:12 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
yes they are nice casters. they're on fisher blanks. cost around 70 bucks at first, but a later model i had cost almost 90. they were made from 1970 to 1979 according to the johnson book. i hope your friend fishes this rod!
-mike

SA System 4 rod
Post 06 Nov 2005, 15:19 • #3 
Guide
JohnS - the SA4 was my very 1st quality fly rod, which I used in the Smokies a lot. It is a relatively fast (for glass) progressive and versatile stick in line with the Fisher blanks(excepting the Winston Stalkers) of the era. My Hardys (JET and Perfection) in that size range are similar in style, and different than Russ Peaks, Scott (old and new), Fenwicks, Phillipsons, Silaflex, and for sure the white wonders.

I haven't had a chance to put a Parametric which is a size heavier thru the paces.

When the S Glasses came out, they displaced my mind space in this arena, and I really need to get back and recalibrate where the SA's fit now that I'm way down the road from the day.

As for contemporary factory glass in this size range, you ought to consider the Lamiglas Brush Creek (you can still get the older, straight honey glass from David Lewis) or the Diamondglass. In different ways, both of these have the direct, straight up feel of the SA's but with a bit more subtlety, and you don't have to worry about replacements in the event of some accident.

SA System 4 rod
Post 18 Nov 2005, 12:03 • #4 
Sport
I found one in excellent condition; however, the price tag is $495. Have to pass on it for now.

SA System 4 rod
Post 19 Nov 2005, 13:05 • #5 
Sport
John, the system 7 rod was recently acquired by me and I have not had a reel chance to fully try it out. It is a relitivly light and well balanced rod for a glass rod over 8' and casts the rated wt line very well. I think a six wt would alow for some pretty good distance. I have several other rods on fisher blanks and have cast quite a few more and I have yet to find one I did not like. I think some of the very best glass rods out there are on fisher blanks. I am not very good at describing the action or whatever of a rod and own everything from very slow glass to very fast graphite. Some rods just feel right to me and this rod would fall into that catagory I think. I think you would be happy with one of the system rods and they seem to come up for sale a lot cheaper than the price you were quoted.
Russell

SA System 4 rod
Post 19 Nov 2005, 14:43 • #6 
Sport
Russell,
Thanks for your review of the System rod. It's too bad the Fisher Company no longer exists. They sure made a lot of highly desirable rods.

For some reason the shortest System rod, the 4, is in high demand by collectors. The higher line weights seem to go for less $. I am not a collector, and would not hesitate to fish any System rod.

TL's
John

SA System 4 rod
Post 26 Nov 2005, 07:40 • #7 
I've got several System rods that I've picked up over the years and they get regular use. The first I found in a drug store close-out bin in Idaho in 1974. It was priced at $30.00.
I had just paid $75.00 for a glass Winston and the SA looked like a great rod for the money. I bought a very nice Sys 10 with 2 tips off this board a year or so ago.
The Sys 4s don't seem to turn up very often and mint ones draw a high price. If anyone has a fishable Sys 4 for a reasonable price I would like to hear from them. My fishing tends toward much heavier rods but I enjoy the SA's and would like to try one of the small ones.
JJ
I can be reached through the message board or at:
jjennings222(at)msn.com

New Topic Add Reply