It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:40

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Dec 2005, 16:49 • #1 
Sport
Any comments on the Scott Glass rods from a few years back? One I'm considering is a 7', 3wt, 3p with the gloss black blank and wrapped in green. Good, bad or otherwise?
Ed ...
Thank you to those who responded to my question. You saved me 300 bucks, plus shipping.

***The last couple of posts below mention several rods to consider. I know of a SA Sys 5 Glass 7' 7" 2P, 5WT, available for sale. Any thoughts, good, bad or otherwise? ***

Thanks,
Ed

Post 16 Dec 2005, 17:05 • #2 
FFR Founder
Hi Ed - I had that exact rod and was disappointed with it - it was too fast for my taste. I prefer the Steffen Brothers rods - much slower. Cheers - Alec

Post 17 Dec 2005, 07:09 • #3 
Guide
Alec is right on. This is a fast action rod for sure. If you are able to steal one for $200, I would get it anyway just in case you find a purpose for it.

M

Post 17 Dec 2005, 08:38 • #4 
Hi - had one of these rods also and same conclusion as the others - did not like it. If you have the chance cast it before you buy it.

Post 21 Dec 2005, 07:08 • #5 
Sport
You guys are nuts. Fast? Maybe compared to old SF era glass yes but definitely medium action compared to graphite and comparable to "faster" bamboo. Soft tips allow for fishing 6x and 7x which I must do in late summer on our very low spring creeks. My newer (green) Scott F703-3 out fished any cane I own in terms of laying a 3 wt line down without a ripple. IMHO any Scott rod at $250 is a value.

As good as SF era Scott or Winston glass? No ... but for $250 packable and nearly indestructible it is a hard rod to beat at 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a SF era glass rod. Now that said my honey colored Lamiglas brush creek for $150 is an even better deal.

And yes I own a Steffen Bros, a 1 wt. Now that is slow. I used to live in AZ and bought it specifically for fishing tiny mtn streams and also because I found Mark Steffen's work and communication excellent. I would buy a rod from them anytime again.
HC

Post 22 Dec 2005, 06:14 • #6 
Sport
The honey colored Lamiglas brush creek for $150 you speak of, please tell me more.

Thanks,
Ed
***email address removed***

Post 22 Dec 2005, 09:40 • #7 
Sport
Lamiglas honey colored fiberglass rods come up for sale here and on eBay probably every couple months. They can be had for $135 to $170. Mine is a 7'6", 6 piece 3 wt with single foot guides that is one of the best casting rods I own at any price. I use it for travel when on business because it fits in my duffel. Any pond, stream in the area then is fair game. It even throws small poppers and I have landed large mouths up to 3 lbs no problem. Getting a good hook set on one of those is a bit tricky but it's better than not fishing at all. It is a great small stream trout rod because at end of day you break it down and it is easy to carry out or put in your pack. There was one for sale last week in this Board's Sale Section.
HC

Post 22 Dec 2005, 13:34 • #8 
Guide
Ed/ 2 Tip - other rods to consider for your application might be the Diamondglass (variety of 2 and 3 piecers at $295), Dave Lewis (www.performanceflyrods.com) and the Spring Creek Series at Lamiglas that replaced the old honey colored Brush Creeks.

There may be a few of the factory honeys around, but they were 2 lines ago. The Blue Ridge, mostly glass, were the in-between line - they were black.

If you have a builder buddy, the old honey blanks and some of the newer ones may still be available.

Dave Lewis builds an impeccable stick, and he has a number of honey colored glass rods that I think are on the Brush Creek blanks.

I have a bunch of glasses, mostly in the 7-8', 3-5wt range, and the 7'#3 honey and the 7'#4 DG are very versatile and sweet sticks. I have a 10piece (! - no typo) honey 7'6"4wt and that amazingly casts almost the same as the 2, 3 and 6 piece varieties.

Dave goes to the mid-Atlantic shows where you can test drive the product. He usually brings a few dozen of all his work. He and wife LuAnn are a pleasure to know and deal with.

Have fun zeroing in on the stick.

New Topic Add Reply