It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:55

New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 Dec 2005, 14:44 • #1 
Sport
I am new to fiberglass and really like them. I am interested in owning a Winston fiberglass rod down the road if they are as I have heard them described a medium fast action rod.

What would I expect to pay?

Where would I look to find one if any are avalible?

I have a few very nice Bamboo rods,and at some point would like to add a classic fiberglass rod like a Winston that have a Granger action. Any other suggestions?

Post 02 Jan 2006, 16:36 • #2 
Emeritus
search eBay every day.
Thats what I do.
ribs1

Post 02 Jan 2006, 17:50 • #3 
Sport
I have owned 3. All were different. The longer lighter rods (i had an 8' 4wt I should never have sold), were medium and felt very much like a medium 8' 4wt cane rod. My 7'6" 5 wt is med/fast and packs some reserve power and has a lot of fish landing backbone. 7 footer is med/fast and is sweet small stream rod, it and my vintage Scott 7' rod are my best small stream rods bar none and that includes cane. Expect to pay $500 to $1,000.
HC

Post 03 Jan 2006, 13:26 • #4 
Guide
I think Winston tends to make faster rods in the line weights that are more often fished in distance situations, 6 weights and especially bigger, and if you can use one of these you are likely to get one cheaper than the leetle fellers.

I have two and have known another.

8.5' #5 -Montana era, was a medium action rod, I wouldn't call it medium slow or medium fast, just a good all round all purpose trout rod that seemed to do everything well. Traded it and I don't regret it because I got a Lee Wulff pack rod I've never seen elsewhere and a Scott glass blank with factory handle - If I hadn't got two great rods to fish for one rod I'd sure regret giving up this winston, as it was wonderful to fish. It seemed like I'd just think the fly into the little spot I wanted it to go to.

8' #6 - very early SF model with coated finish, this one's a little faster, nice crisp action, but the shorter length is not as handy as 8.5' for most of my fishing.

8'9" #8 - Montana - this ones medium fast and a great steelhead rod.

All of these load progressively and feel comfortable at almost any distance within reason with an adjustment to your stroke, unlike some rods that really fish best at a certain amount of load.

The prices on the little ones, #3, #4, and #5 are very high but you might find a #6 for a little less and #7, 8 etc for quite a bit less, in the $250-300 range. Montana era seems less desireable to collectors than earlier SF era.

I think whatever suits your fancy, if you fish any of them you will be pleased with your purchase compared to any new rod on the market, in my opinion.

You might look up Jim Adams in Berkeley, he gets some, doesn't sell cheap but also doesn't sell anything without noting any problems. www.shopinberkeley.com/a/ ... /index.php

-Vinnie in Juneau

Post 03 Jan 2006, 15:00 • #5 
Guide
Vinney,

"I think whatever suits your fancy, if you fish any of them you will be pleased with your purchase compared to any new rod on the market, in my opinion."

Please don't take this the wrong way as I have appreciated your opinions and depth of knowledge in many ways but I have owned a couple of the older Winston's and other than the "look old" craftsmanship I can't imagine a Steffen, Diamondglass or even Lamiglass not competing with the old Winston's. Case in point, the 8' 5wt Winston I had does not cast near as sweet as the 8' 5wt 3pc Diamonglass for me. That's because I like a little softer action in that length for my first rod. Most people do not like the Winston Green Glass Commerative that is like a noodle while I liken it to my favorite Payne 200L in bamboo that is a favorite. Lot's of tastes out there that the old Winston does not align with.

Based on action preference if we call the Winston a 10, some of the others for 1/3 or even 1/4 the money are close enough on its heels casting wise to garner at least an 8 or in my case a 12!

Marshall

New Topic Add Reply