It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:24

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Jan 2006, 10:27 • #1 
A friend has a Heddon Pal he pulled out and showed me when I expressed my new found fiberglass interest. I would like to buy it from him for "fair market value," but neither of us know what that is. It is basically in brand new condition, with beige rod bag and aluminum rod tube. The writing on the blank is:
Heddon Pal
#8453 Mark IV 7 1/2'
Controlled Flex Action
for weight 6 lines

Also of note, there is a "49" hand etched into the upper reel seat sliding band (downlocking reel), and a "3917" hand etched where the reel foot would cover. Not sure what those mean.

Please advise on what you think the fair market value of this rod is.

Thanks,
Ron

Post 09 Jan 2006, 18:46 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
You could go to eBay and do an advanced search and see what some of those rods sold for. If I had to venture a guess, I would say 40 bucks would be a fair price. Would be a fun rod I'll bet, post a report and a pic when you get it!

Post 11 Jan 2006, 03:27 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Before I read Magicwrench's post $25-$50 came to mind as the prices I've seen on Heddons. Considering the condition and line wt ... $40 sounds right.

Post 11 Jan 2006, 03:55 • #4 
Thanks. I showed him this and the past eBay sales, tried to hand him $40, and he told me to keep it (the money and rod). Looking forward to casting it soon. The bad thing is that I am an odd line person (have 3, 5, 7, and 9 weight rods and lines). I guess I will start by trying a 7 (probably slow it down alot) and a 5 (probably speed it up a bit), and then deciding if I will get a 6 weight line for it.

Thanks,
Ron

Post 11 Jan 2006, 10:36 • #5 
Piscator
hey, with the money you saved, you can get an H&H hi-floater 6 wt - $28 and highly recommended.
here Even though this line is listed for $47, they have had a 3-year-long introductory special at $35, and they subtract 20% of you order on line - $28 plus shipping. The line is Cortland 444 Peach with a tapers and a coating that they've custom-selected. Again, a highly recommended line and a great deal.

Post 11 Jan 2006, 19:58 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Even though I wouldn't give you Monopoly money for a Cortland made line, Bulldog makes a good point. You may discover a 6wt. line is the bee's knees! Imagine the joy as you begin a new facet of your life and begin collecting "evens"! :D

Post 12 Jan 2006, 06:17 • #7 
Piscator
to each his own.
some people like Scientific Anglers - the only lines I'm really down on.
Rio leaders and tippet? Cost me every really big (30") Alaskan rainbow I've hooked up.

Post 12 Jan 2006, 07:21 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Even though I'll agree with the others that the perfect line match can be great (lines are probably the best "bang for the buck" item in fly fishing), you may not need to try a 6 to find perfection. I've found glass to be pretty variable in what it can handle, and the sweet match is not always the weight for which it was originally rated. Just might be the 5 or 7 for you.

Then again, without trying one, how do you know a 6 isn't the bee's knees for that rod? See, it's stuff like that that keeps fly shops in business.

And it sounds like you've got a good friend there.

Bob

New Topic Add Reply