It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:13

New Topic Add Reply
Date a South Bend?
Post 11 Jan 2006, 10:11 • #1 
Piscator
I have a South Bend Hollow Glass XL 3260 - 7-1/2'.
Very curious to know the date.
Appears to be a very early glass rod. Has been used a bit and has a few finish marks, but, is really close to pristine.
Way too few guides - 3 skinny wire guides, a stripping guide and tiptop. But the blank has a wonderful action.
Am thinking about rewrapping it with modern guides (and spacing) to fish, unless there's a collector who needs it like it is.

Date a South Bend?
Post 12 Jan 2006, 08:31 • #2 
Master Guide
Wow! I have always wondered if anyone else has a SB glass rod from the early years. I too have one it is a #3124 8.5'. I think mine might be a 7wt, but not sure yet. I did refinish mine and put modern spacing on it, but the only thing I don't like is the cork. I pondering replacing the cork to make holding this rod and casting more pleasurable. When I get photos upload you'll be able to see it. By the way I have a book at the shop that list some of these old SB glass rods and using Trevino (sp?) glass and being mostly built in the '50's. I couldn't find my model no. though. Sorry for the large size ...

:smokin

Date a South Bend?
Post 12 Jan 2006, 08:53 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I love those old SB grips with the "thumb print". It is your rod, do what you will, if it was mine I would put more guides on it, probably a spigot ferrule, and fish it!

Date a South Bend?
Post 12 Jan 2006, 09:52 • #4 
Piscator
Thanks guys, but now we have even more questions.

How do you put in a Spigot ferrule?

What is Trevino glass?

Thanks again,
Ron Mc

Date a South Bend?
Post 12 Jan 2006, 11:06 • #5 
Master Guide
From what I understand this type of glass is just an earlier and somewhat heavier glass then like your "S" glass or "E" glass other manufacturers use.

As far as putting spigot ferrules in, I personally would think that would be a bitch!. It seems to me if you don't have the availability of numerous glass blanks or a means of producing your own then finding the right sized blank pieces to fit where the ferrules are now would be tough.

I don't know though ...

Date a South Bend?
Post 12 Jan 2006, 12:14 • #6 
Piscator
I certainly would have guessed a phenolic resin. It also has two topcoats, black then the copper color.
I'm getting excited about this project now.
The ferrules look like nickel silver (part of what surprised me about the guide spacing) and they are an excellent pair with a nice pop.

Ok, I'm starting the rebuild - thanks, guys.

New Topic Add Reply