It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:21

New Topic Add Reply
Times are changing
Post 14 Jan 2006, 17:32 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I just typed fiberglass fly rod into eBay and the top 5 items currently have bids that add up to nearly $1300. Granted, there are some nice rods there. But it is clear that the serious collectors are picking up the high end rods at top prices.

cgi.ebay.com/OLD-FIBERGLA ... dZViewItem
cgi.ebay.com/PHILLIPSON-S ... dZViewItem
cgi.ebay.com/Orvis-Golden ... dZViewItem
cgi.ebay.com/Orvis-Golden ... dZViewItem
cgi.ebay.com/Phillipson-R ... dZViewItem

Will be interesting to watch.

paveglass

Times are changing
Post 14 Jan 2006, 19:30 • #2 
Master Guide
Take a look at the bid history. over anxious bidders cause the bid to grow to unmanageable amounts. a number of rods have several bids from the same bidder. This is a sellers delight. I too ave noticed that in the last month prices are increasing but i think this will change as it gets warmer. We all have cabin fever and will buy anything, for almost any price at this time of year.

Bill

Times are changing
Post 15 Jan 2006, 02:34 • #3 
FFR Founder
That Langley rod with the built in net is really cool! I'll bet that one doesn't flex down into the handle though! :rolleyes As for the others, wait until they're over - I'm willing to bet they go even higher, and probably overseas. Alec

Times are changing
Post 15 Jan 2006, 05:38 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Pretty amazing ... I call those people that bid experimentally and drive the price up "nibblers". They are generally inexperienced bidders.

Me, I'm a preplanned but last minute sniper. I decide what I am willing to pay, prearrange a bid for the last few seconds of an auction, and win or not, I don't move. That late entry prevents a nibbler from driving up my price by nibbling to "see" if he can get back on top if I bid early in an auction. In many cases the bids pass what I was willing to pay and my bid doesn't even go in.

Works for me, and it keeps emotion out of the mix in the frenzy of an auction closing. If there is something I want, I bid it way high and win--recognizing that if there is another guy who wants it as bad as I do, the price will rocket in the last few seconds and the highest one wins.

That Langley rod is cool--I've never seen or heard of a rod like that with a net in the handle. Don't know if I want it though. I wouldn't mind owning one of those Orvis rods but mine wouldn't have to be perfect (in fact, I'd feel better if it weren't) and I've found 7 1/2 ft in length to generally be the bottom end of a rod I can use in other than specialty situations.

paveglass

Times are changing
Post 15 Jan 2006, 15:04 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Here's another ...

Wonderod #1245, Panfish Special--$129.50!
cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI ... 7210437028

Never seen one go for that much.

paveglass

Times are changing
Post 15 Jan 2006, 15:06 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
This Abercrombie & Fitch Banty will be another one to watch.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI ... RK:MEWA:IT

paveglass

Times are changing
Post 15 Jan 2006, 15:31 • #7 
Sport
What is the reason for such high prices for these glass rods?
They used to be inexpensive and fun to fish with, great starter rod for some one who just learning to flyfish ... this is crazy ... Old Man Shakespaere would roll over in his grave if he knew the prices he was getting for the old wonderod ... I remember buying them at Woolworth's and Gibson's (the old 5 & dime) for $12.00 on sale ... Man times are changing ...

Times are changing
Post 16 Jan 2006, 14:54 • #8 
FFR Founder
The 7' OGE went for $857! the 6.5' went for $609! :eek Yowsa. Alec

New Topic Add Reply