It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:49

New Topic Add Reply
Glass rods that go "pop"
Post 01 Feb 2006, 15:57 • #1 
Master Guide
Like some, I enjoy glass rods with either "spigot" internal ferrules or the tip over butt style. I've read how those designs are so effective at reducing weight and a ferrule dead spot. My fenwicks are exceptional rods - like the scientific anglers, also ...

Yet, I sort of let another old glass rod become my favorite last season - with nickle silver ferrules - it has that nice champagne cork "pop" on separation at the end of the day. Perhaps it is the beauty of quality nickle silver or maybe the "cane-like" sound (yes, I enjoy a fw cane rods)that fascinates me, but I also just like the taper. The "pop" is a little extra touch. Ya know, that little weight seems fine, and the continuous taper feels true ... Anyone else have metal ferruled tapers that are personal favorites? Nothing like a "pop", right?

Glass rods that go "pop"
Post 01 Feb 2006, 18:23 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Oh gosh yes I have some sweet rods with metal ferrules, but first, nativebrownie, what make is your oldie?
One of my favs is a Herters 6' 5wt, what a neat little rod. Also an old Garcia 6.5' 6wt, fun, light powerful. Really nothing wrong with metal ferrules, and yes, they go "POP!" I'll look around tomorrow and see what else I have stashed around that goes pop.

Glass rods that go "pop"
Post 02 Feb 2006, 02:00 • #3 
Piscator
South Bend that I've posted before, 3260 - 7-1/2' 6-wt.

and Phillipson Master MF70 3-1/8 oz. - 7' 6-wt.

Glass rods that go "pop"
Post 02 Feb 2006, 18:05 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
My favorite rods with metal ferrules are the Browning Silaflex rods. I was told by a guy who should know that these were made from S-glass although I can't confirm that. The 7 ft 5 wt is as nice a rod as came in that length. I had a 7 1/2 ft 6 wt that I let go and I kept an 8 ft 7 wt. All great rods--even if I wish their grips were a bit smaller in diameter.

The Shakespeare FY A310 is another terrific rod, 7 wt with metal ferrules.

My last and one of my favorites is a low end garcia 636, 7' 3" for 6 wt. Waaaaay sow and my best popper rod.

paveglass

Glass rods that go "pop"
Post 03 Feb 2006, 07:51 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
One metal ferrule rod I have is a St. Croix. They don't seem to get much discussion, but it's pretty good (7' 6wt.). Doesn't really go "pop" because there is a rubber o-ring on the male side, and it makes a softer sound.

I would like my Panfish Special more if it had a grip that fit me better.

Bob

Glass rods that go "pop"
Post 03 Feb 2006, 16:48 • #6 
Master Guide
In my case, my metal ferruled rods are an older heddon, a Phillipson Master, 7.5, and an older glass fischer, 7.5, that was refinished and the internal glass ferrule was replaced with a Nickle silver ferrule - great result.

I believe that Vince Cummings insisted on metal ferruled glass rods in the 70s even as everyone converted and tried other glass to glass ferrule designs - and I mean everyone.

New Topic Add Reply