It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:13

New Topic Add Reply
Heddon
Post 23 Feb 2006, 07:52 • #1 
Piscator
I'm waiting with baited breath to receive this one:

Heddon Pal Pro 8381, 7' for 5-wt. line.

Bought this from a friend on Joe's board and the photos make it look near-new. Darkened aluminum ferrules with the o-ring, quality rod, well-appointed. EX condition.

Anybody fish one similar?

Heddon
Post 23 Feb 2006, 13:13 • #2 
Guide
I'll be curious to hear how you like it.
I have a near mint Pal Thoroughbred 7' or 7.5' HEH, don't get much chance to use it but it is a very nice casting rod.

Heddon had some models labeled fast taper, tip action, etc., and some of these tapers don't match my preferences, but most of their rods are very good practical fishing rods in my opinion. And there are a lot of bargains to be had in the used Heddons.

Let us know ...

Vinnie in Juneau

Heddon
Post 28 Feb 2006, 04:52 • #3 
Piscator
I received the rod. It's a jewel. I was surprised to find full bridge (perfection) guides. Extremely light, it balances a Heddon 300 reel perfectly. Casts a modern 5-wt line with aplomb. Very crisp rod.

Heddon
Post 01 Mar 2006, 11:45 • #4 
Been curious about this - anybody know positive if the Heddon Mark Series are really Garcias? The reel seats and grips are the same as later Garcias I've seen, down to that ring at the butt, blanks look the same, numbered series and so on.? Duck?

Heddon
Post 01 Mar 2006, 12:54 • #5 
Piscator
Interesting observation, because I have a Conolon rod, pre-Garcia, also with perfection guides.

Heddon
Post 02 Mar 2006, 11:24 • #6 
More - there's a couple of those staggered-ferrule Garcias on Ebay right now - #7222587787. Take a look at this South Bend #7222618483 and tell me it isn't the same rod. Looks like the same numbered series thing as well.

Heddon
Post 07 Mar 2006, 18:28 • #7 
Guide
From my reading of the Johnson book, and my own collection I'd be surprised if Heddon used Conolon blanks.

Heddon long had its own blank making, and along with Conolon was one of the high production blank makers for OEM to those that put their own names on them.

I have a Pal Mark 3 with a yellow blank, and o-ring ferrules that's nothing like any Garcia or Conolon I ever saw.

I haven't seen any staggered ferrule Heddons, or Heddons with metal spigot ferrules as were used on some high end Conolons like Lee Wulff, Charles Ritz and some of the 5-star Conolons (and Walton Powells).

South Bend seems very likely could have used Conolon blanks, or Heddons for that matter.

Remembering the fly rod styles of the sixties, with bright blank colors, lots of decorative wraps, foil, and other aesthetic extremisms, it's not surprising that they might look alike.

-Vinnie in Juneau

New Topic Add Reply