It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:17

New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Apr 2006, 13:28 • #1 
Guide
I have a Charles Ritz Garcia Conolon Rod No. 2065 8'5" Line Weight 9-10. It is a staggered ferrule rod with metal spigot ferrules and a heavy tip. I looked it up in Johnson's book. It is in excellent condition except the rod is missing it's extension butt, bag and tube.

I haven't cast it yet but I'm thinking about taking it with me on a trip down to the Keys and fishing it on the flats, but I'd really like to have the rest of the outfit. Anyone out there have an old beat up one with the extension butt, bag and tube they'd like to sell me?

This is my first post on this forum. Nice forum!

Regards,
Kevin
***email address removed***

Post 11 Apr 2006, 11:07 • #2 
Guide
I have one of those but it's not beat up and if I were to sell it it would be at a pretty high price.
The sleeves for that one and a bigger one I have both have partitions for a short ~3" and a longer ~6" butt extension.
Mine two rods came together with one of each butt extension total. Does anyone know if these bigger Ritz rods originally included both a short and a long butt plug?

My advice would be to make your own extension with a hardwood dowel or a metal rod, with cork added.
If you use metal, make the core slightly undersized then bush it up with some electrical tape to get a good snug fit. I've done that with a fenwick and it worked fine.
With wood you should be able to make it slightly oversized then sand it down.
With the expectations of BIG FISH, it's probably best to go with metal.

Vinnie in Juneau

Post 11 Apr 2006, 12:24 • #3 
Guide
Thanks for the suggestion, Vinnie.

I know it's a long shot to try and find the missing parts. I don't have a 9 or 10 weight line but when I get one I'm going to try the rod out and then decide what I'm going to do with it. Do you like the way it casts?

Regards,
Kevin

Post 12 Apr 2006, 09:57 • #4 
Guide
Yes, I like it very much.
The staggered ferrule seems to put the small area of stiffness where it doesn't matter as much as it would in the very center. I like this one better than the next size up, which has the ferrule in the center and feels quite a bit heavier.

The relatively short length for that 9/10 line weight makes it seem pretty light in the hand, and the action that they called "high lift" (or something like that) makes me not miss the length, it can keep the backcast high and can pick up heavy lines and flies off the water.

I use mine mostly with a SA Mastery clear intermediate WF10.
It can really generate some whistling line speed and can carry big weighted flies very well. I think it'll be very good for saltwater flats and beach fishing.

-Vinnie in Juneau

New Topic Add Reply