It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:14

New Topic Add Reply
Phillipson Royal RF76
Post 09 Apr 2006, 11:39 • #1 
Sport
Picked this rod up at a local auction this afternoon for $25.00.
I would rate it in very good to close to excellent condition.
Came with what appears to be the original bag---cream colored with brown trim----no tube.

Marked RF76 3 1/2 OZ. LINE HDH-HCF-#6 MADE IN U.S.A.

I am relatively ignorant of fiberglass rod value.

Any one care to offer their opinion on this rod.
Seems to have a good medium action.

I will give it a try next weekend.

Thanks!

Phillipson Royal RF76
Post 09 Apr 2006, 13:44 • #2 
Guide
With tube and close to mint would be $155-$170 so I would deduct at least $30 for no tube and $20 for condition putting it around $105-$120.

M

Phillipson Royal RF76
Post 10 Apr 2006, 11:48 • #3 
Sport
Thanks Marshall8!

Phillipson Royal RF76
Post 14 Apr 2006, 11:08 • #4 
Sport
You did good on that one! I bought a minty 6' 6wt Royal w/tube and sock for $100 and thought i was the cat that ate the canary. Those Royals are pretty darn quick for glass and will throw surprisingly tight loops. I'll bet yours will be a great dry fly rod. What style of grip and seat does it have? I have a deathly fear of breaking a guide on mine. Does anyone know of a NOS source for those?

Phillipson Royal RF76
Post 14 Apr 2006, 11:20 • #5 
Emeritus
I would bet Rick's Rod's could get those guides. Otherwise there's all kinds of stuff on Ebay. Or you could be a similar rod in bad shape and strip the guides
Paul

Phillipson Royal RF76
Post 14 Apr 2006, 15:04 • #6 
Sport
I'll check into the Rick's rods thing. I have never seen them on the bay but have never really buckled down to find them there either. I keep a bunch of NOS stuff on hand like old style checks, seats, hosels, ferrules and such that i find in the dusty old boxes in the back corners of tackle shops. It is worth it's weight in gold for repair and retro style rod building. Instead of stripping down old rods in poor shape, i tend to rebuild them! I just cant seem to write off old tackle. I do wish that more people would sell busted up old tackle for us parts scroungers, but i think, that they think it wouldn't sell or not sell for enough or something. Thanks for the tip, ribs.

Phillipson Royal RF76
Post 16 Apr 2006, 05:45 • #7 
Sport
Hey ribs, You nailed it. I found them on the Rick's rods site for $2.00 a pop. I'm gonna pick a set up just to have them.
>
www.ricksrods.com/components.html
>
Thanks! If you ever need a Old style wide aluminum check like the RLW Fishers had or a Hosel or whatever, just let me know.

Phillipson Royal RF76
Post 16 Apr 2006, 08:03 • #8 
Sport
Has the Phillipson bronze downlocking reel seat and bronze winding check. The grip is shaped in what I would classify as the torpedo style. Don't know if these were the standard for this Model but would assume that they are.

Would post pics, but I am a terrible photographer and a worse
computer user.

Have yet to fish the rod, but will rectify that shortly.

Bob

New Topic Add Reply