It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:06

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Apr 2006, 05:25 • #1 
Sport
I recently purchased a Fenwick 79, 8' 6wt. It's Ser. No. is D58617, which puts it in the 63/64 mod. year. Anyone know anything about one this old? All the decals are not like anything I've seen. All appear to have been put on the rod crooked. The eagle is white and the Fenwick is black. A G- series (66/67) 79 I have has a white eagle but the Fenwick is in gold. Also, the older rod has a brown barrel reel seat with gold cap/screw ring fittings. And the newer 79 has a gold barrel with brown fittings. The fit and finish (wraps) on the older rod makes me wonder if it might have been a kit rod. Orvis was big into kit rods back in the 60/70's ... Maybe Fenwick too? Are the newer Fenwicks (not fenglass) better than the earlier ones?

Any thoughts on the rod will help.

Thanks,
ed

Post 19 Apr 2006, 05:54 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Is it translucent brown or is it a blondish, dark honey color?

paveglass

Post 19 Apr 2006, 06:00 • #3 
Sport
Paveglass,

It's translucent brown. I have a few pictures but I would need another email address.

Thanks,
ed

***email address removed***

Post 19 Apr 2006, 17:06 • #4 
Administrator
Ed,

I have a similar FF79, serial No. E35677. Translucent brown glass. Brown reel seat with gold fittings. The eagle is white, the word "fenwick" is black across the eagle's belly, and the word "FERALITE" is in black below the fly rod clutched by the eagle with the serial no. below that. There is a small (crooked) decal stating "FF79 8' 3 3/8 oz." The actual weight is a smidge more. There is NO decal about the Feralite ferrules at the end of the butt section. The butt wrap is much more muted and shorter than later Fenwicks. The guide wraps are brown with white tipping. The butt section has a stripper and a snake guide. The tip section has seven snakes and a tip top. Finally, the rod came in a red plaid flannel rod bag in an aluminum tube.

I've so far only had it on the water once. I like it. It does not feel quite as tip heavy as the FF806. It cast nicely with a WF6 line.

The finish over the guide wraps is starting to fracture. Anyone have a good idea for recoating?

Tom

Post 20 Apr 2006, 05:04 • #5 
Sport
Tom,

Thanks for getting back to me with your info. Sounds like we have the same rod and it's not a kit rod. I do have the Feralite decal at the top of the butt section. Also, above the first decorative wrap it has another decal which reads:
A.F.T.M.A.
Fly Line #6
Again, thanks and I'm glad it's not a kit.

Ed

Post 21 Apr 2006, 16:45 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
hey ed,
once you've gotten balancing reels and line for your ff79 and your son's, i'd really like to hear how similar the two rods feel on the water. thanks.
-mike

New Topic Add Reply