It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:58

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Apr 2006, 08:38 • #1 
FFR Founder
I just picked up a Heddon Pal Mark III 8.5' 7/8 weight on ebay. Total cost with shipping is $38.00. I have always wanted a Heddon with the spring-loaded reel seat. This stick has Aetna foul-proof guides and some snazzy wraps. Here's one of the pics as it appeared on eBay - I'll post a report after I take it bass fishing. Tight lines to all, Alec

Heddon Pal Mark III 8.5' C-HCH-GBF

Post 10 Apr 2006, 16:14 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I have a 8.5 Mark V for 8wt, I took off all the wire(?) wraps and put on single foots and a fighting butt. It is a real cannon, looking forward to pike fishing, any day now!
That Mark III is a cool looking rod, wish I had seen it!
Keith

Post 20 Apr 2006, 10:24 • #3 
FFR Founder
My Heddon came and I couldn't be more pleased. The condition is excellent and it casts like a rocket! I took it out bass fishing this afternoon and it is a real performer. It has a remarkably fine tip for a 7/8 weight and the Aetna foul-proof guides are terrific. I fished a Cortland Lazer line bass taper WF8Fand it was well matched. I would like to try a DT7F as I think that would be a nice match as well. The largemouth seemed impressed as well as several made arrangements to have a closer look. :D Cheers, Alec

Post 21 Apr 2006, 01:12 • #4 
Sport
Nice rod Alex! What type of ferrule does it have?

Post 21 Apr 2006, 05:02 • #5 
FFR Founder
The ferrules are gold aluminum step-downs with the rubber o-ring. A good tight fit and very light. All in all its a well designed rod. The real clincher is the Aetna guides - they are really great for shooting line. Cheers, Alec

Post 21 Apr 2006, 05:30 • #6 
Guide
My first Ebay purchase was an 8' Pal Mark 3 #7, with yellow glass, Oring ferrules, regular guides and downlock reel seat.
Yours looks like a very souped up model. Mine is an excellent rod too - it got me so psyched I sold my winston to my buddy which financed about twenty more glass rods.

I had a Mark 5 with the metal windings too - and gave it to my buddy in Colorado when he started fishing for pike - so he could put the metal to 'em.

Both of those were less than $30. I also obtained a mint Pal Thorobred trout, 7-1/2 foot for HDH that is as nice casting as the very top end glass. I think I paid about $80 for it.

I raise a toast to Heddon as a great all round rod. I even enjoy the looks of them - so different than today's rods, some would call gaudy but definitely setting you apart.

BTW - someone gave me some flies in an old Heddon lure box -a collector traded me a reel for the box.

Vinnie in Juneau

Post 29 Apr 2006, 13:03 • #7 
FFR Founder
I had a great morning out with the new Heddon - man I am really crazy about this rod. It's such a great performer and really is on of those rare rods that "cast's itself". I'm enjoying it an awful lot and thought I would add some other pics. To my eye, these Heddons are a thing of beauty ...

Here's a shot of the walnut hosel at the grasp.

Here's the spring loaded reel seat. Very cool ...

Here's the rod info and one of the Aetna foul-proof guides. I don't know why these guides were ever discontinued on rods - they are great!:

I would love to hear about any other "Pals" out there - And Vinnie I will join you in your toast! Cheers! Alec

Post 30 Apr 2006, 02:07 • #8 
Guide
Those are some beautiful rods. I can't wait until the water around here starts to warm up a little more so I can get some bass fishing in. What lines do you guys like to use with those rods?

Thanks,
Pete

Post 30 Apr 2006, 05:34 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I use a 8wt Bass bug Cortland 333 on my 8.5 Mk V, and also a 9wt Sci Anglers 10' sink tip. The sink tip portion of this line is bright orange, which is a huge help in detecting strikes. Wish I could find more sinking or sink tip lines that were bright enough to be seen in the water.
Keith

Post 30 Apr 2006, 10:00 • #10 
FFR Founder
I use a Cortland Lazerline Bass Taper WF8F. I've been very pleased with it. Cheers - Alec

New Topic Add Reply