It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:16

New Topic Add Reply
Cortland classic rods
Post 18 May 2006, 03:27 • #1 
Master Guide
As far as I know, Cortland made the ProCrest, the FR 2000, and the Leon Chandler Signature series of rods.

What do they feel like in the hand and/or on the water? How do they compare to each other?

Thanks!
Peter

Cortland classic rods
Post 18 May 2006, 03:54 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Peter,
I have had several Pro crests, they are slower actioned but nice functional rods. I have a bunch of FR2000's, they are light, quality glass that compare well to my Fenwicks. They are rated for two lines (6/7, 5/6 etc) in most cases I use the lighter line. I was out last night at a local bass/pike lake with a 8.5 6/7 FR2000 throwing bass bugs with a 7wt, got a bunch of fish.
Me thinks, but not sure, that the Leon Chandler rods are FR2000s with better cosmetics.
My only complaint about the FR2000, they use a tip over butt ferrule, that does not overlap as much as, say, a Fenwick does, and they do tend to come loose.

Cortland classic rods
Post 18 May 2006, 08:36 • #3 
Piscator
ever try paraffin on the ferrule? - really snugs them down.
I started this on spigot ferrules then discovered it really helped an Orvis Fullflex A with a tired tip-over ferrule.

Cortland classic rods
Post 18 May 2006, 15:10 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog,
Yeah, I need to try that. But gotta say, of all my rods that are tip over butt, the Cortlands come loose WAY more than the others. Still, I really like em.
Oh, and Cortland made rods other than the ProCrest and the Fr200, probably pre Pro crest, brown unsanded blanks, nice rods.
I'll try the wax and let you know, thanks!
Keith

Cortland classic rods
Post 20 May 2006, 11:17 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I have one of the 7 1/2 ft 5 wt ProCrests ... they are very close to my favorite Lamiglass blanks in performance. Don't kow about the 8 ft rods.

paveglass

Cortland classic rods
Post 21 May 2006, 10:52 • #6 
Master Guide
Peter, I have an 8' 5/6 wt pro crest with glass ferruls that is one of my favorite rods to fish with a DT 5. I cannot compare it to the lamiglass or the other cortlands, but it roll casts better than any rod I have. As far as the Chandler, I have been outbid on two of them in the eight foot length in new condition. These are not a fr2000 dressed up, but a spiggot ferruled fisher blank. I have not cast one but I know I like every other fisher blank I have cast.

-Russell

Cortland classic rods
Post 21 May 2006, 15:08 • #7 
Guide
I have a Chandler signature 8wt that is beatiful to cast, though I wish the grip were bigger.

A wonderful rod, and if you ever talked to Leon Chandler, you'd want to own one just because he was a great, interesting guy. He told me all the fiberglass Chandler signature rods were hand-signed by him (he'd come into work every morning and work his way through a bunch of rods), but that the later graphite rods used a stamp or decal.

I'd love to own an 8' 5wt version of the rod, but I'm afraid the secret's out on those things ...

TC

Cortland classic rods
Post 22 May 2006, 03:55 • #8 
The only Leon Chandler glass rods I've seen were internal (spigot) ferrule rods and I'm reasonably certain they were made for Cortland by JK Fisher.

New Topic Add Reply