It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:08

New Topic Add Reply
Winston Stalker
Post 28 Mar 2006, 23:43 • #1 
Guide
Hello,

I know winston did bunch of various fiberglass rods during 70's but what are the lenghts and line weights that can be called Stalkers? Was Stalker separate serie of Winston fiberglass rods including certain sizes.

Thanks, Jukka

Winston Stalker
Post 03 Apr 2006, 07:59 • #2 
Guide
Jukka - yes- the Stalkers were built while Winston was still in San Francisco. They were for fussy trouts in places like Hot Creek and spring creeks.

They were softer and more supple than the regular Fisher blank glass at the time. In those days, the only 8X around was Kroic, and it was very weak, depending on how you tied the knots and how abraded it got during use. But the Stalkers were set up to be semi-functional with the micro stuff.

My 7'6"3wt is interesting in the way you can modifiy your stroke and cast in several different modes. It is not just a simple noodle.

tl
les

Winston Stalker
Post 06 Apr 2006, 05:30 • #3 
Guide
thanks Les for your answers

So Stalkers were for fine tippets and small water trouts. Is there any written document (books, old Winston catalogs) which would tell what were the lenghts and line weights available?

-Jukka

Winston Stalker
Post 09 Apr 2006, 01:21 • #4 
Guide
Jukka -

I know there were ads in FFM back in the 70's, and I do recall at least one or two of my RLW catalogs then with Stalker info.

If I can find any of the above, I will scan them for you. Be forewarned however that PA here is starting a great ffishing season, so that tends to keep me on the water and out of my closets.

If I don't get back to you this next few weeks, jiggle my memory when winter sets in. I will keep on the lookout in the meantime.

tl
les

Winston Stalker
Post 24 May 2006, 02:23 • #5 
Guide
Les,

Jiggleling you to check Winston catalogs if there's any info about Stalkers ;)

btw; I found this from web.

blog.livedoor.jp/keytacca ... 51858.html

I guess there we have all the information needed but I just can't read japanese:rolleyes

-Jukka

Winston Stalker
Post 24 May 2006, 14:05 • #6 
Master Guide
Try alta vista ( babel fish translation) and paste the page web address and translate from Japanese to English. A real neat tool ...

Lokks like, from my quick scan, looks like they were offered in 6.5 through 8.5 ... a quick look at that page ...

I prefer that soft feel for real close work ... If you want pay the big bucks for a mint Stalker or search out a 70's Hardy or other brands(French) where Fisher's soft blanks were sold to British manufacturers. I did luck upon a British "stalker" seems an identical blank - a legit 3 weight in a 7.5 glass. Delicate tip and full flexing -
Perhaps even with the renewed interest in glass- Winston may load em up again. They'll probably get it wrong as with the Retro series blank ...

Winston Stalker
Post 01 Jun 2006, 06:00 • #7 
Guide
Answer has been found to this question with the help John aka "JWP56" by sending '75 Stalker add. Highly appreciated:D

Winston did Stalkers as below,

#3 6'6", 7', 7'6" and 8'
#4 6'6", 7', 7'6", 8' and 8'6"

So all together 9 different models and all for line weights 3 and 4.

-Jukka

New Topic Add Reply