It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:42

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Dec 2020, 23:25 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
I have three Silaflex rods: the original MF80-2 8' 6 weight which is as described, a slower more full flexing rod, and is a really good roll caster. I have a 7 1/2' 4 piece 6 weight rod with Sizematic ferrules, don't have the model number handy at this time. Probably due to the 3 metal ferrules, most of the action is felt in the tip section which is fairly soft. My most recent acquisition was a 322980, the 8' 6/7 weight. This rod is in like new condition and I picked it up for $30 at a swap meet. I believe this last model is S-glass as it is much lighter than expected and has a fairly fast action for glass. I was recently helping to teach fly casting at a Flyfishing 101 class. Another guy was also helping teach the casting. He is a salt water fisherman primarily and had his Orvis Helios rod to teach with. He was really impressed with the 322980.

Larry

Post 19 Dec 2020, 09:30 • #27 
Master Guide
Guys,

I cleaned up the cork with Murphy’s Oil Soap and cleaner/polished up the stripping guide as best I could with water and Ballistol tip. I don’t think it will be a problem to run a fly line through this as it is not very rough. Looks like their might have been a gold tone finish in it that has worn off over time. Can’t wait to to cast this rod. Amazing condition for its age. Thanks for all the advice

Post 19 Dec 2020, 14:51 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
The frame seems to be a different metal than the ring. Given the quality of the wraps, replacing the guides if they are in working condition seems silly to me. I can't tell if thats a Carbaloy/carbide ring but if it is smooth and won't scratch up a fly line, I think you are in good shape to just go fishing.

The frames do look corroded but you can't do a major cleanup without replacing them, which really isn't worth it right not (IMHO). However, I would try to clean up those frames and protect them from further corrosion. I would try to get what corrosion off them that you can with a qtip and rubbing alcohol.

Post 19 Dec 2020, 17:25 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Carlz could be right on; I hope he is. Hard to see from the pics for sure. You can tell with closer inspection. That might be the rest of a plating that has flaked off the guide frame. If so, it may have a sharp edge or two, or will flake more and cause one. On a stripping guide, sometimes the line will contact the frame, so a sharp edge could damage the line. Touching it up as you have, maybe a bit more, sure won't hurt and may be sufficient. I'd use an inexpensive or old line for a while, just in case. The wraps do look good, but it wouldn't be the worst thing to have to replace the stripping guide. If the main wrap were removed carefully, even the trim could be left right in place. Worst case scenario--even with more guide replacements if use reveals any problems--you have a darn nice rod that will fish well and be worth any minor repair efforts put into it.

Post 19 Dec 2020, 19:46 • #30 
Master Guide
Whirlpool & Carlz, Thanks so much. I will keep trying to clean up that corrosion on the frames. I ran dry cotton qtip and light fabric through the ring and it is smooth. Nothing is catching. May even be carboloy now that I see it is different materials. Then I tried casting with an old 7wt line and let me just say: as many others in this thread have already mentioned, this #322980 is a casting machine. I absolutely love it so far. Time to go fishing.

Post 20 Dec 2020, 10:05 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
I have a number of rods with "flaws" like this that prevent a rod from being collectable. I find these rods to be the most enjoyable to fish. You don't need to worry about pampering them. A couple of the most fun rods I have are either custom rods or rods that have been fixed up over the years to keep them in good shape. Not collectors rods, but better fishing rods than the originals.

Post 21 Dec 2020, 16:30 • #32 
Sport
Here is a 222975 that was included in some rods I recently purchased. Lightly used, the rod is in great condition. DaveS: my rod has what appears to be the same stripping guide with the same flaking problem. I pulled a strip of microfiber cloth through the guide and there wasn't any sticking or snagging. Something to keep an eye on but I would fish it without hesitation.

One thing that stood out is some corrosion under the first guide on the tip section. I manipulated the guide a bit and it is secure, but there is some discoloration coming through. I wonder how common that is on these rods.

Thanks for all the great info!

Post 31 Dec 2020, 08:31 • #33 
Master Guide
Freestone, that one is great looking!

Post 31 Dec 2020, 10:36 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
I have two 70's vintage Browning Silaflex rods, 7' and 7 '6" i like them very much.
Here's a link to an earlier discussion on this topic.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49070&p=208618&hilit=Silaflex#p208618

Post 31 Dec 2020, 20:50 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
It might not be corrosion, but someone might have added a coat of varnish and it seeped in where the original finish was worn. I did this to a guide on my rod.

The guide was fine, but the original varnish was a bit worn, so I added a couple of coats, but the first coat just wicked in and turned the wrap translucen in that area.

It is a beautiful rod. Same rod, same gigantic grip, same problem.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply