It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:55

New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Nov 2011, 12:09 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Could someone with Fenwick knowledge tell me what I have found here? Thanks. Sorry for the poor photos. I haven't replaced my waterlogged camera yet.

Post 06 Nov 2011, 13:21 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
My guess. .. and it is just that -- is that this rod is from the end of Fenwick's focus on glass rods. I am thinking is between the heyday of the FF series fiberglass rods and the later (short lived) Fenglass rods. When this was made the HMG (and other series) graphite rods had become the main focus.

Regardless, it looks like a very nice rod, especially in the 4 piece configuration.

Post 06 Nov 2011, 14:04 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
My guess too; end of glass era rod. maybe getting rid of old stock when graphite took off.

More importantly, judging from my R serial numbered FF756-4, you have a very nice, versatile rod, happy with weight or small dries.

Enjoy.

Post 06 Nov 2011, 14:17 • #4 
Global Moderator
Rich,
Does the rod have a serial number? Fenwich stopped putting serial numbers on most of their rods after 1981.

Doug

Post 06 Nov 2011, 14:34 • #5 
Administrator
It's not old stock Fenwick, but from a series of rods made about a decade ago. I'm just not sure which series!

When Pure Fishing attempted to re-market Feralite fiberglass rods about a decade ago, they were labeled Fenglass. They had Western style Superfine grips - not the classic Fenwick grip from the 60-80s. The blanks were a little darker brown and had similar hardware to yours, but with a cork uplocking skeleton insert. The lightest rod in the series was for a 5 weight line.

Your rod looks more like a line of Tiemco Fenwick rods that were marketed in Japan before the now famous "yellow glass" Fenwicks. The Japanese rods were labeled Classic Glass in the same script as yours and they have the same rod information, including the E-glass with Feralite ferrule line at the end. However, the Japanese model numbers end with a "J", such as FF764-2-J. They also have small text stating "Made by Fenwick in Taiwan". Further up the shaft is the Japanese warning not to use the rod in thunderstorms or under electrical wires (see picture below for the general idea). The Japanese rods have a classic Fenwick style grip, but a much fancier downlocking reelseat with a wood insert. The only two models from this line that I have seen were an FF764-2-J and an FF804-2-J, both two piece rods for a 4 weight line.

Your four piece rod looks like a cross between the two species. The reelseat looks like the American rods, the grip and most of the label like the Japanese rods, but it does not have the "J" after the model number or any of the other Japanese markings. Curious. I am fairly sure that I have seen a 7'6" four piece for 6 weight rod with all the hallmarks of the American Fenglass rods, but I don't have one in my collection. Perhaps they were actually more like your rod and I wasn't paying enough attention.

Tom

Post 06 Nov 2011, 14:59 • #6 
Global Moderator
Tom,
On page 92 of Johnson's Fenwick book, he mentions the "Classic Glass" rods and their construction method but it does not mention a time frame. On page 106, he also shows a listing of Fenwick fly rods and Voyager rods circa 1982 that lists FF756-4 as a 7'6" 3oz. rod for a number 6 line under the Voyager rods. The photo of the list says "Courtesy of Pure Fishing Inc.", which bought Fenwick in 1988. Could this be a rod from that era?

Doug

Post 07 Nov 2011, 00:34 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for all the replies.

Tom,

I read the Wiki carefully before making this post and didn't find the rod either. We'll have to add this one to the Wiki when more is known.

Rich

Post 08 Nov 2011, 06:06 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
The blank, wraps and writing look just like the Japanese Fenglass rods, but with a metal insert instead of cork on the reel seat. My guess is that its an oddball from the Fenglass series.

Post 08 Nov 2011, 08:13 • #9 
Master Guide
I remember this series but am not quite sure the year. They had them in their trolling and casting and spinning rods as well. A while before the fenglass series.

Russell

Post 19 Aug 2022, 15:41 • #10 
Guide
I just received an FF804-2-J 4wt. NOS with the original Japanese tags still attached with the little white plastic string with the t-ends. Had to go lawn cast of course. Had been casting different 7.5 and 7s all morning till it got to hot.
An amazingly delicate soft action fly rod that loads with an inch or two of line out the end. And the fit and finish exceeds every other Fenwick I have. Even the cork was flawless and every pore filled.

But having cast two other “Classic Glass” rods earlier and hadn’t put them away yet, I decided to take a closer look.
Unfortunately the OP’s photo are no longer here because it would clarify a few things.
I have an FF756-4 and and FS74-4.
Both are labeled “Classic Glass”. Neither have a Voyageur label like the earlier Fenwick’s. If it is a Serial #, it is a letter code and not Roman Numerals.

But Tom mentioned that the script on the OP’s was the same as the J version.

Mine are identical but not the same script as the J version. There is also a unique difference in the Fenwick Eagle. On these, the eagle is holding a rod with no handle. Tips on both end. The Registration Mark “R” is also a different size and the font for “made in Taiwan” is different and different color. Besides the reel seats, there is another subtle but distinct different between these and the J version.
The SF (Spin/Fly) is a Tennessee grip with sliding rings but each has a formed pocket/hood unlike most rings. The 756 is very similar to the earlier FF705.

The non J version have a thin Silver Mylar wrap where the J version has the off white trim as seen on the latter Fenwicks. Maybe a tribute to the B and earlier series.
And no mention of E-glass.
And oddly no x wraps near the grip.

I will attempt to post some photos, but unless this was overlooked way back when, then there might be three versions of the “Classic Glass Series.
Probably only two, but clearly these two versions were designed for different markets.

The FS74-4 with its ceramic guides is closer to a 7wt even though listed as a 6. Curiously, it doesn’t list a lure weight range like earlier ones either. But feels a lot stiffer like a medium heavy spinning rod.
The FF756-4 CG is very similar to my Cork reel seat FF756-4 Voyaguer. But no cross wraps and the build quality is superior. Not quite as good as the J version.

Post 19 Aug 2022, 22:51 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I'm surprised I hadn't seen the original post in this thread. I purchased one of the Tiemco built rods, a FF756-4J on the day I joined this forum. I had been lurking for a while. I was looking at some rods on a fishing collectible site, and turned to this forum to see if there was any information regarding the rod. To my surprise, the first thing I saw when I signed on was a post about the same rod. I immediately called the man who owned the site and ordered the rod. It is as described in an earlier post, slower and more full flexing than any of the American built Fenwicks I have cast.

Larry

New Topic Add Reply