It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:24

New Topic Add Reply
Fenglass 766-4-Help
Post 06 Jul 2011, 15:37 • #1 
Sport
This weekend I found a mint Fenglass 766-4 a garage sale (brown tube, brown sock) I didn't think I should pass up. I know little about this rod, in fact most Fenwick rods, but hope someone can provide me a bit of info on it and its value. I'd like to fish it this season. It appears it would be a good streamer rod. Thanks for your help and I must say, I really like the wealth of information I find on this forum. Just a ton of collective knowledge from A-Z.

Fenglass 766-4-Help
Post 06 Jul 2011, 16:13 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
This is usually where I say something about what a horrible old piece of glass that is. And how NOBODY fishes that kinda junk anymore. And I usually add something about taking it off your hands cause my grandpa had one like that and I want to hang it on the mantle for sentimental reasons.
But really, that is gonna be a neat rod! Are you sure of the numbers? I'm not a Fenwick expert (or any kind of expert) but have never seen a "766". Value ... see caveat above. If its in good shape $75-$100?
Welcome to the board. Go fish that thing and post picture. We love pictures. And you should love that rod. Neat find!
Keith

Fenglass 766-4-Help
Post 06 Jul 2011, 17:05 • #3 
Administrator
Bckeddy,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! You have a Fenwick rod made about 10-12 years ago. Fenwick produced a small series of retro fiberglass rods that were sold at attractive prices. The market wasn't ready for a large glass project and many of the rods were sold at deep discount. In general they are pretty good rods. The FF766-4 is a 7½ foot, 4 piece, 3¾ oz. rod marked for a 6 weight fly line. You should probably try it with 5 weight, 6 weight, and 7 weight lines and see which one(s) you like best.

You may have stumped Keith with the rod model of your Fenwick (a very difficult thing to do, I might add), but he is right on the money with his price estimate. I also think you should "Go fish that thing". It should make a very portable, all purpose fly rod.

Tom

Fenglass 766-4-Help
Post 10 Jul 2011, 00:47 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I've only seen one Fenglass rod in my many years ... it was a broomstick of a rod.
But I bet that 766-4 would be a killer smallmouth rod ... or a night time streamer rod for big browns.
Brian

Fenglass 766-4-Help
Post 10 Jul 2011, 01:18 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I owned one briefly. It is part of my long and frustrating search for a pack rod. I found it a little heavy and not quite what I'm looking for so I sold it soon after. It was a smooth casting rod, as I recall.

Re: Fenglass 766-4-Help
Post 02 May 2022, 18:06 • #6 
Master Guide
I picked one of these up off the auction site in mint condition a few months ago. I was looking for a travel rod in 5wt or 6WT and when I saw this one I had to get it. I finally got to fish it at Flaming Gorge on Gray’s Lake by the Red Canyon Lodge one evening before dinner. I paired it up with a Medalist 5/6 and a 6WT triangle taper. Barry was right the triangle taper was perfect for this rod. Effortless 50’ft casts with a size 18 nymph underneath a 3/4 rhingamabobber. It roll cast really well also. Didn’t catch anything but had a great time fishing it. I’m supposed to be heading to the Snake River in Colorado in the Fall and I think this rod will be accompanying me for that trip.

New Topic Add Reply