It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:03

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Dec 2010, 13:01 • #1 
Hey I was hoping someone may have some information on this rod such as date of manufacture or anything else. I got it at a yard sale when I was 12, went home and made some new guides from paperclips, and went fishing with the old level braided line that was on it; I was hooked. I had the rod ever since and Im finally gettin around to fixing it now that Im 23Image I know its not worth crap but maybe someone else may have seen one before. The action seems nice but its pretty ragged ha ha. Any help is appreciated.ImageImageImageImageImage

Post 02 Dec 2010, 16:48 • #2 
Master Guide
I'm no expert, but I see some attributes of a Garcia vintage in her, but like I said I'm no expert.

Post 02 Dec 2010, 17:32 • #3 
Administrator
TheOtherWay,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! To the best of my recollection I've never seen a Whittemore fly rod before. If I had to guess, I would say late 60s from the reelseat. I imagine the rod was built by one of the big supplies like Lamiglas or US Fiberglass and sold under the Whittemore name.

You are right about the condition - it needs lots of work. Some of the original black wraps are still adhering to the rod. I would try to copy those when I wrapped on new guides. From the photo it looks like you need a new grip, new reelseat, new guides, and new wraps. The ferrule might be OK, but it is easy enough to replace. The guides, thread, and cork are easily obtained, but the reelseat might take some searching to find a good one. Keep an eye on eBay and a new old stock seat might show up. Check out the Rod Building section for some examples of rod rebuilds.

Tom

Post 02 Dec 2010, 18:51 • #4 
Hey thanks for the info guys I very much appreciate it. Its rough but as long as I get it fishable again Ill be happy. Ill take your advice on trying to replicate the wraps I think that would look the best. I re-peened the back collar of the reel seat like the factory did and it tightened it right back up. The ferrule still seems to fit well but a replacement is on the "try and find" list. I dont think it was used a whole lot it just sat in a damp shed most of its life. Ill see what I can do with it. Really, thanks again for the info and the welcome; I think Im gonna like this site!

Post 03 Dec 2010, 01:21 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Hello

Welcome to FFR the rod is priceless send it to me with a blank check and I will make it like new again.

Just kidding!

My best advice would be it's time for you to make an investment in a new rod.

You are in the right place we have many folks here that can steer you in the right direction.

Just be careful you could wind up in the poor house with some of the rest of us.

Tight Lines and Fiberglass Loops

Andy M

Post 03 Dec 2010, 02:02 • #6 
Ive got several other rods that arent junk, this is my first ever fly rod I got when I was 12. Im just looking to throw some guides on and use it. Its a piece of crap but it does cast well Image I dont like my junk sitting around not able to be used cause then it looks even more worthless ha ha!

Post 03 Dec 2010, 02:25 • #7 
Master Guide
take off the guides, put on a new grip, new guides, and fish that thing! you can even strip off the old paint and see what's underneath, then repaint if you want. if you've never built up a rod before, it will make a perfect first project. you could get new cork, guides, and thread for about 20 bucks if you shop around. the time spent bringing it back to life is priceless! rod might not have much monetary value when finished, but it will have sentimental value for you, and that's what matters.
for supplies try
www.mudhole.com
www.jannsnetcraft.com
www.anglersworkshop.com

just a few sites to get you steered in the right direction, there are many others.

Post 03 Dec 2010, 03:52 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
hey man, that's a neat project and will build a rod you'll be proud of!Remembering when you were 12 is important; when youre as old as i am you can't remember where you put the morning paper!HA! Take your time; fix her up right; spare no expense, and pass it on. A dog for free from the kennel is much more loving than one from the puppy factories! You'll enjoy the journey probably more than the destination-p-

Post 03 Dec 2010, 04:45 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Wow, I wish I had my first fly rod ... by all means fix that thing and fish it. Looking forward to pictures of that rod laying by some fish.
Keep us posted..
Keith

Post 03 Dec 2010, 09:57 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Just recently I think I saw a rod labled "Falcon." Assuming I remember that right, I don't remember seeing a Whittemore label. I have no idea which, if either, was the actual manufacturer as opposed to one name or both being applied by the actual maker for a retailer. The vintage--I agree '60s because of the metal ferrule and peened reel seat--very common on blue collar fly tackle--was the same, but the rod was dark maroon. It felt pretty good and I'd have bought it for a remake for $5.00 but the junk shop wanted way more than that. Anyhow, that one could turn out to be a very servicable rod and as a learning project rod it looks ideal. They surprise you sometimes--others they don't--but the minimal expense makes messing with it worthwhile just as entertainment.

Post 03 Dec 2010, 13:02 • #11 
Thanks for the encouragement guys. This will be my first rod project (except for the paper clip guides I put on with wax dental floss) so anything fishable that comes out of all this will be a success. I think Ill buy a cheap guide set, a new cigar style grip or maybe just some cork rings to try and make one, and some flex coat and thread. I gotta do a little reading and decide how to deal with the flaking finish. Its not falling off but its got a few bad chips in it. Im open to stripping it and starting over, but I may just patch it up and let it ride. I really like the patina look in all my old stuff Image Besides, no one will steal an ugly, beat up, outdated rod off the top of my bug or off my bike..

Post 03 Dec 2010, 13:08 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I have varnished over old chipped finish (without stripping it first) and it looks waaaayyyyy better for almost no effort.
There are old posts here about just removing the damaged cork rings and leaving the rest. Should be able to search for it.
Remember, we LOVE pictures

Post 04 Dec 2010, 05:07 • #13 
Guide
Neat rod. H.A. Whittemore was a Boston-based sporting goods store started in 1901 and in business until the 1970s. Your rod dates from the early-mid 1960s based on the big "W" trade mark they used. It is most certainly a "trade rod" made for them by any of the big glass rod makers (St. Croix comes to mind). Once you finish it up, it will be a durable and fun rod to use that will likely last for decades.

-- Dr. Todd

Post 05 Dec 2010, 13:48 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Like the others have suggested, restore that baby! My gut feeling is that you will be very pleased with the results.

Post 07 Dec 2010, 07:34 • #15 
Master Guide
majicwrench wrote:
Wow, I wish I had my first fly rod ... by all means fix that thing and fish it. Looking forward to pictures of that rod laying by some fish.
Keep us posted..
Keith
I'll sell you my first, the POS.

Post 07 Dec 2010, 08:25 • #16 
Piscator
Image Image Image

Post 07 Dec 2010, 10:01 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I keep looking at that rod and wonder if it isn't a trade-labled product from Eagle Claw; there's a resemblance but I don't know if they produced private label stuff at the time. The ferrules and wrapping style would be good indicators, also the reel seat, by I'm not an EC person who has one of that vintage to compare. Whatever it is, if it feels decent now, it will be well worth the modest expense and effort of a rebuild.

New Topic Add Reply