It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:00

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Sep 2010, 11:38 • #1 
SUNDRIDGE Bucknall Glass Fly Rods

I was curious about the hundreds of old-stock British glass fly rods and blanks located in a Swedish warehouse then posted for sale on Fiberglassflyrodders. So after a few weeks of correspondence I finally received 4 rods from Mats-Ola. I promised him that I would write a general review of the rods on this forum. For the sake of variety I ordered the 8' 5/6 Mac Zims, the 9' 6/7 Two Lakes and one of the 12' Salmon rods. To begin with Mats-Ola is a friendly person and prompt communicator. I think he is just beginning to accurately inventory a hoard of rods and fly tying materials he purchased from a closed shop. The Mac Zims rod he sent turned out to be 8 1/2' and grey rather than the 8' brown rod I expected. In any event I cast the two trout rods and compared them to some familiar models.

PERFORMANCE: The 8 1/2' rod is moderately soft and similar to a Browning Silaflex 022985 yet more parabolic. Akin to my Fenwick FF84 - without the delicate, refined tip. It is slower than the Fenwick FF856. The butt diameter at the cork is narrow as fiberglass rods go. These are well designed tapers and fairly light for glass - perhaps the result of their Spartan finish (see photos below). It performed well at average distance with a DT5F Rio Classic. Close-in it loaded best with a WF6F. Line flowed smoothly through the guides and beautiful, controlled casting loops formed. Balances properly matched with a compact 4 1/2 ounce reel - a pleasant surprise since British glass, like the thick-walled Bruce & Walkers, are notorious for being tip-heavy. The 9' Two Lakes is a traditional British Loch rod. I love reservoir rods. The Two Lakes is 3" shorter than my Hardy Richard Walker Superlite. Moreover, the Hardy is heavy at the tip and requires a large 6 to 7 ounce reel for proper balance. The Sundridge functions nicely with a 5 ounce reel. The design is excellent and based upon a more progressive taper than the softer Mac Zims. Here is a rod with which to make longer casts from a boat. A true 6 weight at 40 to 50 feet.

CONSTRUCTION & COSMETICS: All rods have internal spigot ferrules that mate very smoothly and exhibit a suitable gap to allow for wear. The cork is first rate. Reel seats are simple black aluminum downlocking. Seats are fairly big, however the double lock secures modern feet. Stripper is good quality - Mildrum style with a carbaloy type ring. Snakes are typical 70s chrome plated (but not heavily chromed). The guide windings are utterly bland and so too is the blank. Thread has hardly any varnish applied and blank is almost a dull matte finish. Keep in mind that the rods are light in the hand for glass - and it just may have been the intent of the designer to build them simple in order to achieve that goal. The sky grey blank color seems to have a hint of yellowing from age. Certainly some retro charm. You might entertain the option of buying one of the kit rods Mats-Ola offers or at least laying on a coat of spar to the wraps of a completed rod.completed rods come in a quality blue cotton bag (no tube).

CONCLUSION: Mats-Ola is selling these rods for a song. They are not perfect, nonetheless a great value and fun purchase. Shipping is expensive so one might get together with a friend and buy 3 or 4 to defray the individual cost. Hope this clears up some of the mystery behind these unusual fiberglass fly rods.
Danny

https://images.fiberglassflyrodders.com/u/1/yk/dd825bd9b4e2a117509a7264e1b549b72608ef7.pjpg
https://images.fiberglassflyrodders.com/u/1/yk/96d15892e31351acd5915202bf6c236d9f36b86.pjpg
https://images.fiberglassflyrodders.com/u/1/yk/54715f95ef1c59a5fc64e81e20d8cec0324e3a4.pjpg

Sorry for all the edits. Had to download photos several times and typos - I must be getting old!

Last edited by Guest on 28 Sep 2010, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Sep 2010, 02:44 • #2 
Guide
Thanks for the review. I was curious about these rods and would love one of those little "brookies." Glad to hear that they are on the lighter side. The shipping is the price of the rod though and that kind of puts me off. If there is anyone else here in Toronto who wants to purchase one I'd consider it as we could split the shipping. The post in the for sale section says about $65 to ship one or two rods. -Roy

Post 17 Sep 2010, 09:59 • #3 
One of the 8' 5/6 kits is on its way. I should have it by the end of next week, will take some photos and do a little review before I build it out. That way, anyone entertaining the idea of ordering some kits from Mats-Ola can get a better idea of what they might get.
Danny

Post 04 Oct 2010, 10:24 • #4 
Danny ... what do you think of the 12 foot Salmon model?

Post 04 Oct 2010, 13:56 • #5 

I gave the 12' Salmon rod to a friend for future review. Unfortunately he has some medical problems causing a delay in actually getting the rod on the water and into some fish. He did briefly test it with 8/9 spey line which seemed to overload it. A standard AFTMA DT8F was more efficient. This is how the rod was rated and appropriately so. The action is very moderate. Both the blank and guide wraps appear more substantially coated than on the trout rods - cosmetically the look is identical. Reel seat is a bit higher quality aluminum and two tone chrome/black anodized. The cork is unbelievably good. You would be hard pressed to find "spey" length cork priced less than what Mats-Ola is asking for an entire rod. It certainly won't perform like your Sage, Scott or T&T - nevertheless, as they say in the UK, a unique piece of kit!
Danny

Post 26 Mar 2021, 03:05 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I was able to get the Mac Zims 8.5ft 5/6wt here off ya Dan a while back...
though I wonder about the brown 8fter and the Spey rod.
Here are some pictures :

, , ,

edit - found the sock

Last edited by Brian Shaffer on 28 Mar 2021, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Mar 2021, 04:44 • #7 
It might be of interest to the forum that M. Z., I presume it's the same M., was very well known here in Sweden during the 70s and onwards as a fly tier and contributor to Fiskejournalen (Fishing Journal), a monthly magazine seated in Gothenburg, where he also worked for the legendary (and I may say prestigious) shop Strömvalls sportfiske.
The first item I bought there, early 70s, was a spare grip for a Mitchell 300, inherited after my mothers younger brother.
He, and the owner and other staff, where always welcoming and kind even to us younger fishermen who then couldn't afford the top stuff.
The last talk I had with him was in the shop, a short time before his retirement, which is the topic of the linked article.

https://www.fiskejournalen.se/mac-zims-gar-i-pension/

All the best!

Btw, the first fly rod I fished was a brothers "Two Lakes", it helped me land my first Sea Trout on fly about this time of the year, 40 years ago...now the season starts April 1th.

Addendum: IIRC the blandness and matte finish is intentional, the colour is called Grey Heron, thus invisible to the fish. :)

Post 27 Mar 2021, 06:47 • #8 
Guide
I picked up the 7’ 5 weight Brook rod over the winter, apparently unused with the grip still covered in plastic, and hope to be using it soon. Looks to be wrapped up from a kit, though it is professionally inked for Arthur Smith, Oxford, who had a tackle shop there for many years. https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/6558438.arthur-smith/

As Fario Occidentalis states, the matte grey finish was an attempt at stealth by avoiding rod flash. I have one of Geoffrey Bucknall’s catalogues somewhere in the cave and I’ll post the page for these rods if/when I find it :\

New Topic Add Reply