It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:33

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Feb 2021, 19:58 • #26 
Master Guide
Bob, thanks for adding to the thread. That was some pretty neat info. And thanks for the very, very kind words. We fortunately have had some very good teachers over the years and are a product of their teachings :).

Post 20 Mar 2021, 09:50 • #27 
Guide
Do any other Members have experience with these Rods?

Post 17 Feb 2022, 15:24 • #28 
Hi Bob .

I haven't seen the lighter line weight WC's , but I DO own a 12 , a 10 , a 9 , and a 6 wt. factory built WC's made back in the 1980's, and have had a 6 and an 8 built from blanks . None of mine are what I would consider 'slow' action , but they are far from 'fast/modern' rods . In my Hands , they work best w/ floating or intermediate lines that exactly match the rods' line rating . Sinking lines need to fall in to whatever rods' grain rating window , or else they are fussy . Good casters , but not spectacular at long distance (they don't like being pushed -) , great fighting tools . The 4-piece 6 wt. that I had built is slightly stiffer/faster than the identical factory 2-piece 6 wt. . My 9 was made by Fenwick Taiwan , the rest are U.S. made (not sure about the blanks I had built) . The 9 will throw a Teeny 300 , but is taxed at that grain range (I'll try something closer to 250 grains on it next trip out) . I haven't had a Hand on the new World Class rods , and have no interest to do so .

I like them !

David

Post 17 Feb 2022, 16:17 • #29 
Master Guide
Hi David, the 902, 903, and 904 were kinda the odd balls of the lineup as they differed in action than the other models in the World Class lineup.

Post 17 Feb 2022, 16:30 • #30 
Apologies for drifting a bit off-topic !

D.~

Post 17 Feb 2022, 16:34 • #31 
Master Guide
Hey it is all good, but I do wish some of the other rods in the lineup were like the Paul Brown designed models. Oh well :)

Post 18 Feb 2022, 09:01 • #32 
Guide
Ah crud now I really want one or a few of these really old Fenwick graphites. I am going to have to do some searching.

Post 07 Oct 2022, 12:28 • #33 
Master Guide
ToothyBugs,

Sounds like the originals are the proverbial “hen’s teeth” … however I am intrigued by the reference to Dusty’s Livings-t-o-n Yellowstone glass 9’ 3 weights and the thought maybe he based that taper off of the old Fenwick World Class 903? Those might be a little easier to find.
FWIW I have the “new” Fenwick 905 World Class and will say for a graphite rod I really enjoy it. Fished it extensively on the Green River in April and was surprised at it’s glass qualities. It fought fish like my 856 does … I could feel every head shake and it bent DEEP into the butt I Ram like a parabolic bend. The guide gave me an Orvis Clearwater to use when we quickly switched to hopper/dropper on Section B for a few miles and that rod did not have the same glass qualities as a 9’ 6WT rod graphite rod. Now the Green is not Henry’s Fork or the Firehole but on Section C with those big spooky Browns I could see how this type of rod (old Fenwick WC 903 could be very effective with little wind. You could protect those 6x tippets and let the fish yoyo himself on that deep bend of the rod and probably get him in the net and released none the worse for wear?

Post 07 Oct 2022, 20:18 • #34 
Guide
Yo BobG - When I visited you in Cali, I already had a WC-903 from Vic. I got a 902 and 901 from you. Next time I hit the Letort, they will be coming out. At a local flea market, I actually found another 903. BTW, I finally found that BG753, which I love. I ffished it a couple of times the last weeks, with silk as well as with plastic. I need to take pix for you.

tl
les

Post 05 Jan 2024, 23:12 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Almost 3 years ago I mentioned in this thread finding a Fenwick World Class 903 rod in my friend Charlie's collection of rods. He really liked the World Class series and I think he bought every one he could find. At a later occasion while we were going through his rods again we found the 902 rod. I'm not sure how much I would enjoy fishing that rod, but what a hoot to cast it. Unfortunately just five days before Christmas Charlie's daughter called me with the sad news that Charlie had died. While she was going through his personal effects she asked me to help with the rod collection. My friend Cliff and I ended up bringing most of the rods home to sort through and label all the various tubes, as you were likely to find an old glass Berkley in a Sage tube or vice versa. Once we had gone through all the rods, his daughter took most of the high grade graphite rods back to Denver with her and left a bunch of bamboo, graphite , and glass rods. Some of these will be distributed to some of Charlie's other friends. Another reason I brought this up again, is that we also found the World Class 904, so Charlie had all of the Paul Brown influenced rods. His daughter kept most of the World Class rods because those were her father's favorites, but she left the 904. If she doesn't want it back, I may keep it. About a week before he died, I called him and he told me he wanted me to pick out a few rods I might like. I did select the 8'6" Sage 6 weight glass I had admired for a long time and also a 7'6" 4 piece custom Lamiglas. I will miss Charlie, but several of his friends will have rods to remember him by.

Larry

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply