It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:35

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Dec 2012, 12:08 • #51 
Sport
My best gift is my son catching his first bow at 8 on the Deschutes River in Oregon. Over the next 12 years we fished all over the West. When he was 20 he became a fishing guide in CO. and over the last 20 years we have floated & fished all over CO with him on the oars most of the time. Lots of gifts given and received over the years but one that stands out is my wife giving me a Winston Perfect, WOW what a lady.

Alan

Post 11 Dec 2013, 21:27 • #52 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
It's that time of year again with so so so many new Fiberglass Fly Rodders thought to pump some new life into this old thread.
Last x mass my wife gifted me a 8' 2/2 herters bamboo rod the rod of my childhood dreams, it was an amazing gift that I have to confess is responsible for me fishing fiberglass less often this past year.
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy holiday season, please help me pump some new life into this
Oldie but goodie!
Tight lines and tis the season loops ;).
Andy M

Post 11 Dec 2013, 23:04 • #53 
Master Guide
It a small one ... My grandfather about 15 years ago gave me a vintage Wheatley silmalloy fly box the little guy 3.5 x 2.5 inches it holds 51 flies.Its the coolest box I own filled with soft hackle. ... Perfect!

Post 16 Dec 2013, 05:43 • #54 
Sport
When I left my last job about 6 years ago, my coworkers and boss pooled up some cash and gave me a 500 dollar gift certificate to a local fly shop, neatly tucked into a wicker creel. I was only there for two years, I guess I made a good impression, or they were just really happy to get rid of me. :lol

Post 16 Dec 2013, 06:59 • #55 
Master Guide
Popiel's 'Pocket Fisherman' just about as good as it gets. Able to operate in very heavy cover, casts okay but it does not fit in your pocket.

Once I used it I almost sold off all my other equipment.

Post 16 Dec 2013, 15:55 • #56 
Master Guide
For my birthday a well known Steelhead fisherman in the NW, gave me one of his fly rods. That was when I was 18 years old and I still have it.

Post 25 Dec 2013, 12:15 • #57 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
My good friend gave me a sweet meek fly reel for a holiday gift this year.
He did a great job of guessing my size ;)
It should balance out a number of my outfits!
Tight lines and gifted loops
Andy M

Post 25 Dec 2013, 16:40 • #58 
Master Guide
For me, the best received was my son treating me to guided fishing on the Indian River down in Florida. Being from Massachusetts it was a real treat.
Ladyfish (smaller members of the Tarpon family) and Seatrout (saltwater species [larger Weakfish]) in numbers I lost count. The Ladyfish were a hoot - they jump just like their larger cousins. Had a GREAT time!

Post 25 Dec 2013, 18:40 • #59 
Glass Fanatic
best would be the memories of fishing with my dad

second is giving away reels, lines, vices and tying supplies to beginners but mostly people who are hurting

Post 23 Dec 2019, 20:43 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I'm in the process of helping getting some gifts ready for Santa.
Tight Lines And Giving Is Great Fun Loops
Andy M

Post 24 Dec 2019, 01:32 • #61 
Master Guide
Last year my ex (on good terms) got heavily involved with helping victims of California's Paradise "Camp fire". She made contact with a gentleman (a fly fisher) who had lost everything but the clothes on his back and his family. I donated a vest, and she supplied everything else. Rod, reel, line..all the basics needed for a day of fly fishing. Thoughtful gal that she is, she thought it would be healing for him to spend some time on the water.

The fire happened in November. Shortly before Christmas she received a wonderful note of gratitude and a charred pair of forceps with a loop of ribbon attached...to be hung like an ornament. He said he wanted her to have reminder of his family and how she helped.

Recovered from the ashes.

Last edited by Holdover on 25 Dec 2019, 00:47, edited 2 times in total.

Post 24 Dec 2019, 07:59 • #62 
Glass Fanatic
That's wonderful, Holdover. Merry Christmas to you and your ex!

Post 24 Dec 2019, 12:58 • #63 
Piscator
Last evening well past dark, met Cheryl my contract mail carrier at the front door - she was holding a suspect-shaped PVC package.
Is this a joke? - inside the pvc tube was more pvc tube...
But inside that was a thoughtful gift from our host Tom.

Holy Harnell holiday, batman
I had asked Tom about buying back the Harnell 645 I sold to him 8 years ago.
He sneaked it back to me, not as a lone gift, but added the earliest example 652 I've ever seen.
These rods will not be idle.
Must say I had forgotten how exceptional is the 7-1/2' Harnell 645 - best estimate dates to 1956-9. Surprisingly lightweight, fast para taper, and wants an 8-wt.
Both rods have solid block cork.
There's no information out there on the older Harnell Bronz-Glass 652R, but it has an Aetna stripping guide, more than a few different finishing details from my 1960 652R, and bit softer taper.
Thanks again Tom - I'm feeling festive.

Post 24 Dec 2019, 13:17 • #64 
Master Guide
Wow...there is a Santa...very cool presents...never seen a bronze Harnell...rare indeed...

Sandman

Post 24 Dec 2019, 17:39 • #65 
Glass Fanatic
Merry Christmas!

Post 24 Dec 2019, 18:00 • #66 
Sport
I told my wife very early never buy me tools ,work or fun.
best "gift" I have received is my fishing partner.He showed up at my shop one day years ago with
some part off an old british motorcycle.Of coarse we started talking about fishing.Mostly we ocean fish
spending alot of time chasing salmon.Most of my fly fishing is alone.

Post 24 Dec 2019, 18:28 • #67 
Master Guide
Happy Harnell Day, Bulldog! :eek

My most bestest fishing gift is without a doubt the set of Big Pal angler's clippers that my parents brought back from Seattle when I was a lad. It goes fishing with me everywhere and will see me through to the end if I don't lose them, which shouldn't happen with the lanyard.

Post 25 Dec 2019, 08:57 • #68 
Piscator
thanks - my salt reels are all too heavy for the 645 - working on that.
And of those, the only foot it likes is on my big Lamson.
The weight of this big reel makes it hard to feel the TS250 load, until you get it just right and then the line shooting out slaps the reel. I'm sure this will be improved with a lighter reel.

The cool thing, the 652 balances perfectly (for me - an inch or so in front of cork) with my 3-1/2" Young pattern 16a, which has the correct line for trout fishing, and the seat easily accepts the 2-5/8" Young brass foot.
Will probably take this out on the tailwater next week.
The block cork grip cleaned up nicely.

Post 25 Dec 2019, 08:58 • #69 
Guide
Part 1
Its a time for giving and receiving so whats the best gift you ever got that is fishing related?
my mom, we were very poor , gave me a mitchell 300 for xmas (12 bucks) when i was quite young because she saw that i was bitten by the outdoors bug. I still have that reel and fish it every year. then she used her s and h green stamps (remember those) to get me a spin rod to go with the reel. i fish that rod too.

the BEST gift she ever gave me was not fishing tackle . she divorced my useless father and had to take on both roles. She never said no to taking me fishing - no matter what time or weather conditions. I can remember her getting up at 4 to get me on the water for the 6 am opener.
she never complained, just waited in the car until I was finished and then we went out to breakfast. my mother was from the greatest generation. a remarkable woman. thanks Mom,

Part 2
Whats the best gift you ever gave that is fishing related?
every year, i get the people who grant me permission to fish their ponds a thank you gift for being so generous with their waters. in this day and age of people worried about litigation or vandalism, there are still those who gladly will let an old gent cast a line or two on their land.

Post 25 Dec 2019, 10:11 • #70 
Master Guide
A little clear plastic box with some cheap, crappy looking oversized wet flies of unknown origin. You know the ones. I was thankful to get them, knowing that the gift was given because of my fly fishing passion...but thought I'd never use any of them.

But, you guessed it, a couple of these lousy looking flies ended up saving a couple of days on the water and catching some surprising and memorable fish.

Now when I look at what's left of that little box of flies, I see visions of fine fishing....the gift that keeps on giving!

Post 25 Dec 2019, 23:38 • #71 
Sport
Years ago Dennis Franke built me seven and a half foot 3 weight "Orvis Tippet" fly rod as a gift for letting him park off of the road at my farm while he guided fishermen on my local waters on Timber Coulee. That's in the driftless region of Wisconsin 20 miles east of lacrosse. Still my favorite fly rod. From that grew a friendship with Dennis and he's my closest friend and best fishing buddy. Until my grandson's get a little older that is.

Post 26 Dec 2019, 10:51 • #72 
Guide
This Christmas one of my neighbours gave me a boxed South Bend Finalist, complete with its paperwork, to match my 291 pack rod (excuse the bamboo). Wonderful gift, may well be the only one of either in Wales.

Post 26 Dec 2019, 23:16 • #73 
Sport
Every year my wife gives me money for Christmas to use at The Fly Fishing Show in New Jersey. Look forward to going every year with several of my FF buddies. Great gift!

Post 27 Dec 2019, 18:41 • #74 
Sport
ratfacedmcdougal wrote:
The best gifts I received weren't for Xmas. Two people gave me Orvis Odyssey reels. So Long Medalists.
I always like to give my Grandfather a nonresident fishing license. It got him to come up for some smallmouth.
RFMcD

Hat tip to you, Ratface...

Post 27 Dec 2019, 19:08 • #75 
Master Guide
Indeed.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply