It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:06

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Dec 2006, 11:58 • #26 
Master Guide
Vinnie, with that 13wt I was dreaming about trying for sharks, tuna, or maybe a small honda or volkswagen while lawn casting. I hate losing by a dollar and I hope the guy that won it bid more than $51.

See you at another auction,
Russell

O, and to keep the thread on track, my wife gave up on clothes and gifts she likes and got me a new set of jaws for my nOrvise last year along with another auto bobbin.

Post 21 Dec 2006, 20:18 • #27 
Guide
Yes - let's not lose sight of this excellent topic.
Last year my wife bid at the local public radio auction and surprised me for Christmas with a 7' #6/7 bamboo by a friend here who's a local maker.
Not glass, but a very sweet present.

-Have a merry one to all,
-Vinnie in Juneau

Post 24 Dec 2006, 04:46 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Although I started this thread I have had a difficult time responding to the question.
My family is a fishing family and thus gifts with a fishing a
theme are common place.
As a result I have had to give this quite a bit of thought.
As others have mentioned My father is my greatest fishing gift and to still have him here to test my latest rod concept or to spend a day fishing is really a gift.
To sit with him and relive our past fishing adventures is time I cherish.
To have a partner such as Janet that loves to fly fish and wade the worst of waters side by side is another wonderful gift.
This past summer having 4 generations fishing with the addition of my Grandson Mitchell 3 with his dad Shane along with My Son Brendan and Daughter Brookie and all the rest of my loved one's that was my best day of fishing this season and a true gift.
And yes I did name my Daughter after my favorite trout.
Then their are all the material gifts that I have received
most of my most prized possessions were received as gifts.

Then theirs the other half this question.
I have given many many fishing related gifts as well.
The best gift I have ever given is a tough question.
I would like to think it's the countless number of people I have taught to fly fish.
I have also given away hundreds of fly rods over the past 30 years and will be gifting 6 fly outfits this holiday alone.
When I meet a novice fly fisherman I am known to help them with a secret fly a new leader and many times I give them a fly rod.
This year I met a fellow in his 20's on the stream and he was fishing Carbon and couldn't hook up the rod was a poor example of a fly rod.
We fished together until after dark I showed him the slip strike and he started catching.
His truck was parked next to mine and when I was ready to go I reached into my Pickups bed and handed him a 6' 1 PC fly rod.
The look on the guys face was priceless and a gift as well.
The best material gift I have ever given was a pooled gift when I was 13 my Sister and Brother in law wanted to know what to give Dad I knew he wanted a Wheatly fly box and I couldn't afford one so we all chipped in then I went to work and filled it with flies.
The look on his face I will never forget.
He knew the time it took to tie those flies and they were all his most prized patterns.

The pleasures of fly fishing are gifts in themselves.
Most of all I think to give a fishing gift is to receive.

Tight Lines and Gifted Loops.
Andy M

Post 24 Dec 2006, 21:06 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
you are very fortunate to be living in a beautiful place and to be surrounded by such a great extended family. what you have is rare. you are a lucky man.

Post 26 Dec 2006, 07:59 • #30 
Master Guide
Most memorable fishing gift I ever gave:
I had such a "crush" on my 5th grade teacher, Miss Doherty - I took her 3 mackerel after a day of fishing with my dad. (wonder if she remembers - I know I do).

Post 26 Dec 2006, 13:22 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
I really like that one!
I gave my first childhood sweetheart a turtle.
Tight Lines and Slimey Gifted Loops.
Andy M

Post 18 Dec 2012, 20:11 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Tis the season for giving!
I scrounged up this old post, when it first ran we had very few members in comparison to our numbers now.
Maybe it will get another good run?
Tight lines and happy holidays loops
Andy M

Post 18 Dec 2012, 21:18 • #33 
Master Guide
When I was a teen in the mid 1960's my folks gave me for Christmas a fly tying kit and a copy of the Noll Guide To Trout flies. Been fly fishing ever since. Thanks Mom and Dad.

Post 18 Dec 2012, 22:04 • #34 
Sport
My mother gave me my first 32 window Wheatley box a few years before she passed away. I will cherish it forever.
Tom

Post 18 Dec 2012, 23:15 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
My wife has given me more than a few great fishing gifts. She gave me this UL spin-fly custom built by Scott Wallace:

And again totally surprised me a year later with a gorgeous Brady bag:

Post 18 Dec 2012, 23:19 • #36 
Emeritus
My best Christmas ever was the year I bought my wife a fly rod, reel and waders for Christmas. I've gotten paid back in spades since then.

Post 18 Dec 2012, 23:40 • #37 
Guide
My best Christmas was last year when I gave our 3yo foster child his first fishing rod. A SpongeBob tacklebox and rod combo. He actually slept with the pole that night and he made sure he took it home with him when he moved back with his parents. He still visits on the weekends (now 4yo) and he insists that Poppa (my Dad) tags along with us. He even brags to my girls that he can catch a fish and they can't. Now if we could just get him to actually touch the fish ...

By the way, this is also the best fishing present I have ever received.

ImageImage

Post 19 Dec 2012, 00:13 • #38 
Master Guide
Neat old topic. I'll play! A few years ago my daughter asked me to get her husband a float tube. I picked up a nice Fish Cat 4, the grandkids played with it in the house for a week. Funny thing is John never used it, prefers his pontoon but I've had posession of it for 2 years. Great present!
I got my neighbor and fishing partner a fly tyeing kit last year and am gifted a few flies now and then. Hoo says I'm knot vury brite!

Mike

Post 19 Dec 2012, 00:50 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
Good one, Andy. My favorite gift was my first fly rod tht I passed on; I gave to someone's foster child. That boy was grinning so much I thought he might hurt his face. It was wonderful.

Post 19 Dec 2012, 01:07 • #40 
Master Guide
The best gift I have ever received would definitely have to be a spinning rod that my grandpa gave me so many years ago. It got me started on the whole fishing thing. I was into the bass deal with bait casters and spinning rods, but then got my hands on my first fly rod. From that day on I was doomed. I slowly sold off all of my conventional gear, and gathered more and more and more and more fly fishing gear. My grandpa isn't much into fly fishing, but he does love regular gear. I have got him quite a few Loomis spinning and casting rods, so I suppose those are the best fishing related gifts I have ever gave.

Post 19 Dec 2012, 10:23 • #41 
Master Guide
I've gotta add that as a hobby rod builder I have given quite a few custom rods as presents over the years. Funny thing is that the best fishing gift I've given wasn't at Christmas. My sister in law passed away and the 4 kids came to Sacramento from LA to visit for a few weeks. Introduced them to fishing and bought nephew an inexpensive spin outfit to take home. He was 12, he slept with that rod and kept it close to him all the way home on the train. He was heartbroken when a big catfish broke it. I've made him a couple since them, from TOUGH fiberglass! LOL

Mike

Post 19 Dec 2012, 10:54 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
My wife went totally overboard last Christmas and got me the top of the line Orvis Guide waders.

And early this year, I got my four yrs old daughter her first glass rod and reel. Can't wait til she can handle a fly rod.

Post 19 Dec 2012, 12:03 • #43 
Master Guide
I was given on my 18th birthday a fiberglass fly rod from Harry Lemire. If you don't know about him, he was an great Steelhead fly fisherman here in Washington State. He has been written about and talked about by many but never started by him. He was the one that got me started fly fishing for Steelhead and his rod he gave me is the rod I caught my first Steelhead on. He passed away this year. I do have the rod still, haven't fished it in a long time but will get it out next year and try to caught a fish on it. I am now 54, and tought I hadn't fished with Harry in a long time, I have great memories of fishing with him,my dad and brother and all the fish I have caught and lost on that rod. Great post to start!
P.S. The BEST ever would be my dad starting my brother and I in fly fishing. I have such great memoriers, my brother is still around in the Coast Guard. He will be he the first of Feb. so he and I can make more memoriers fly fishing together with Fire Ball and fly rods in hand.
Just thought of the Fenwick my brother he got off another site for me as we were talking about I need a single hand Steelhead rod. He found a 9' 9/10wt and cleaned it up. Looks brand new.

Post 19 Dec 2012, 20:55 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
I started fishing with a friend of mine about 24 years ago. We were spin fishing at that time. After about a year or so, my buddy brought out his old fly rod. He kept trying to talk me into trying it, but I was resistant. He bought me a Browning fly rod for my birthday, and I still managed to resist trying it for about a year. I finally felt like an ingrate, so I had him teach me how to cast it. I'm not really sure just how many fly rods and reels I own at this time, but I have Kurt to blame for my addiction. Thanks, Kurt.

Larry

Post 20 Dec 2012, 01:03 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
Among the fishing gifts I remember best were the "good report card" presents that would show up at dinner table for me when I was around 10 - 12 years old. In particular, I remember one time getting a red Penn 'Senator type' reel. That being said, the fishing present that sticks out most in my mind was for my 12th birthday. When we lived in southern California we would go on the annual Long Beach Casting Club fishing trip to the lower Kings River over the Thanksgiving holiday (which coincided with my birthday). For my 12th birthday I got my first pair of real waders (boot footed hipsters). They were baggy because were long for me, but I didn't care as I felt like I was then a real fly fisherman.

On the flip side, the best fishing present I ever gave was a yellow glass Fenwick FL108-8 I custom made for my Grandfather as a Pacific salmon trolling and mooching rod. When my Grandfather passed away that was the one rod I specifically asked for from his collection.

Andrew.

Post 20 Dec 2012, 07:31 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
Received ... tiny creek fishing trip with and from a guide that went to college with my brother.

Given ... built an Ironwood wading staff for a friend who goes fishing with me sometimes and whom I taught to fish.

Post 20 Dec 2012, 13:15 • #47 
Master Guide
Recent:my little ladybug

historical: my grandfather teaching me to fish.

Post 20 Dec 2012, 13:43 • #48 
Master Guide
Aside from my grandfather taking me fishing for the first time when I was 6 yrs old, one of the best fishing gifts ever given to me, was the first time I recall a stranger and fellow fly fisherman giving me a fly streamside, that worked for him along with instructions on how to tye it and fish it. This simple act, was a very profound gesture to me and I have since had the privaledge of extending the same courtesy to many folks streamside. The reward is exceedingly gratifying when you get the opportunity to see it work for them, and witness the big smiles on their faces!

Post 20 Dec 2012, 16:44 • #49 
Master Guide
Hi mates,

Francesco Palù flies book from early sixties till now.Title is "Semplicemente Palù"

F.Palù most famous European builder of telescopic fly rods with lockable sections.Rods can be fished from measure of two meters until four and a half meters. ( fifteen feet)

My fishing pal Claudio gave me this book a week ago.
Impressionistic nimphs and dries, caddis and so on.

F.Palù wrote a dedication for me, I felt a great emotion to be an owner of a rare book.

Maurizio

Post 25 Dec 2012, 18:23 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
To my grandfather, about 1960 back when spin fishing was relatively new. We used baitcasting rods and fly fished, but I got into spinfishing first. I gave him his first spinning rod; I think it was a JC Higgins, fiberglass of course, and a Mitchell 304.

To my brother, mid 1980s, a JW Young 1525 fly reel that he still has, just as I still have mine, having bought two on closeout at LL Bean for under $20 each. When I was by the store a week or two later, I went in to get another one, but they were sold out.

From my brother, his ongoing project of reviewing and reprinting family photos--his own, some of mine, and thousands of my Dad's. I just opened this holiday refresher. The top pair, about 50 years ago in Glacier National Park. I still have the same Pflueger 1494 and a nearly identical Montague holloglass rod.

The bottom pair, about 35 years ago near Island Park, Idaho. Betty Boop was our waitress for breakfast, and then we went fishing someplace nearby. Same Pflueger 1494 along with my first graphite fly rod, which I still have.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next New Topic Add Reply