It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:51

New Topic Add Reply
johnson magnetic reel
Post 07 Aug 2007, 16:59 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
just wanted to let you guys know there's a neat little reel on eBay now. it's the johnson magnetic model three (probably for 3-5wt rods. it's got no gears, pawls, etc., but has a large magnet within the large diameter spindle that slows the spool. this one appears to be in very good shape too. it's # 190137410000. though the tension going out is the same as the tension coming in, it's a cool/unique reel. just a heads up.
-mike

johnson magnetic reel
Post 09 Aug 2007, 15:06 • #2 
Piscator
I was watching the reel. The price certainly doubled my interest level.

johnson magnetic reel
Post 09 Aug 2007, 16:05 • #3 
Administrator
Thanks for the heads up Mike. I threw a low ball snipe at it and was surprised that I was the runner up bidder. The Johnson magnetics are cool little reels. The only moving parts are the handle and the spool. I have a Model 3 and it weighs in at 5 1/3 oz. The line capacity is listed as DT6, LF6, or WF7. The wind and pay are whisper silent. A good stealth reel, if you need such a thing.

For anyone that hasn't seen one, the reels were produced in the early 60s when Johnson Reels owned the Phillipson rod company. I don't know whether or not they were produced before and/or after the Phillipson period. There was also a Model 7, single action with a non-adjustable drag (click pawl?), a Model 9 with an adjustable drag (disc setup?), and a Model 5 magnetic with a more elegant frame design. The Model 3, 7, and 9 all had the same capacity and the Model 5 was larger.

Tom

johnson magnetic reel
Post 10 Aug 2007, 05:59 • #4 
Guide
Joe Brooks favored the No. 5's. Striking appearance with an unusual sunburst design on their back plates.

johnson magnetic reel
Post 10 Aug 2007, 08:19 • #5 
Emeritus
I have a model 3.

It's a neat reel, but the "drag" is pretty darn high for light tippets. Definitey not compatible with 5x. That said you can't ask for a more dependable reel. The capacity is a lot higher than you'd expect for a reel with this footprint. It's a good match for a DT5 or DT6, or WF6,7,8. Not a bad choice at all for bass bugging and such.

Joe C.

johnson magnetic reel
Post 10 Aug 2007, 19:04 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
any of you need an extra spool for your model 3? i've got an extra and i don't need it really. PM me if you're interested. i think i paid 5 bucks for it and i'd gladly pass it on for the same sum.
-mike

johnson magnetic reel
Post 18 Aug 2007, 06:10 • #7 
Guide
I, too, have a 3. I agree that the smooth, no-hitch drag is a little tight for very light tippets. I have my reel on my mid-60s Garcia Conolon 6-1/2' 6wt rod. I have fished this rod for 36-years, since I bought it from my brother-in-law who purchasaed it new. The outfit is _great_ for smallmouth bass and panfish in my area--on the creeks and small rivers of the Piedmont. I _much_ prefer this rig to my graphite rods and reels.

johnson magnetic reel
Post 18 Aug 2007, 06:41 • #8 
Administrator
pondpiscator,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders!

The rod and the reel are both Classics.

Tom

johnson magnetic reel
Post 18 Aug 2007, 07:18 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Pondpiscator,
Someone who loves the same little rods for the same reasons, during spring when our river here is starting to pickup flow Im out scrambling over bolders and banks, and the rods I take with me are one in the same with yours, I have the 2535 D staggered ferrule dry fly action 6wt 6 1/2 foot and the 2535 B 6-7wt 6 1/2 ft bass model, they have both seen many a tumble and still keep on catching those fish. Sad that Garcia dropped their likes from the line many years ago.
If we are lucky we can pass them on to our grandchildren for another lifetime of fishing.
Richard

johnson magnetic reel
Post 18 Aug 2007, 13:47 • #10 
Guide
Thanks for the welcome! This is a most welcome find for me. I've been enjoying fly fishing for years and years. I made the move to graphite with (5, 6, 7, and 8-weight Orvis rods in lengths from 7'9" to 9'), but I never found the tradeoff--and that's what it is--completely satisfying. To be sure, I can generate super line speeds and shoot 60-70 foot casts without shifting a gear with graphite. I enjoy the crisp, authoritative "get it out there" feel of even these comparatively low-modulus Orvis graphite rods.

However, I have never been able to duplicate sheer accuracy of my Conolon short rod, my Fenwick FF705, and my Fenwick FF807. These are extensions of my central nervous system, to exaggerate a bit. Although each has slightly different actions, each is like a great shotgun in the way that it quickly come to target. I can put a fly, streamer, or light bug (2535 and 807) on a given spot--or under a difficult spot with these shorter rods--without much conscious effort. And, I _love_ the feel of these rods relative to any graphite rod I've used.

Thanks for a great board. I'm learning and re-learning a lot as I read.

johnson magnetic reel
Post 18 Aug 2007, 15:36 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I hear ya there Pondpiscator, I haven't touched my graphite rods in over a year, and I have some of the best of the best. Those long rods are just not like using a short glass rod in a tight spot. Like you said it becomes an extension of your body and most of the casting I end up doing in early spring is more honestly in the 35 to 40 foot range anyway. Its not until the water gets moving in April or May that I pickup the longer glass rods for river fishing.
Plus something an ultra light graphite can do a glass rod can do, BUCK A WIND! I feel absolutely comfortable with a 6 or 7wt up here. We are always getting wind in the afternoon, a 25-30 mph gust is nothing, it really gets windy sometimes, Ive seen alot of afternoon gusts in the 60 mph range. Being close to home ( most often less than two miles ) I just give up and walk home to try the next morning. But aside from the brisk breezes, those old glass 6s are tops for trout and the 7s great for bass too.
Richard

New Topic Add Reply