It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:37

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Jul 2021, 07:49 • #26 

Thank you very much for the great welcoming and infos ! I took more pictures of the rod...

I went on the river with a 6wt floating line and it cast like a charm. There is a video that explain a way to find the line weight to use on a rod, not scientific but it put you in the ballpark before experimentations and let you see the action of the rod in the process. I found out that my specific rod have a really strong butt section and that the action is quite light and fast for a fiberglass rod ! The test also told me that i could use a 5wt on it but that it is mostly a 6wt...after casting the 6wt on it i feel it could even be better with a 7wt, the rod have a lot of power !

Video about the method to find line weight for a specific rod :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWfVz_3hscA
Line weight calculator table :
http://www.sameo.se/ccs.php

*I had the chance to buy the vintage reel of Tak Shimizu so I guess I’ll have to start fly tying and make his dragonfly nymph pattern very soon to see what happen down the line !

Post 15 Jul 2021, 14:01 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
"Common Cents" is really poor. You don't need a bunch of pennies to know that the rod would cast a 6wt or 7wt. For that matter, you can cast almost any line with almost any rod, just a matter of preference. What works on the water is what counts.

Post 15 Jul 2021, 16:39 • #28 
Administrator
Nick LC wrote:
I went on the river with a 6wt floating line and it cast like a charm....after casting the 6wt on it i feel it could even be better with a 7wt, the rod have a lot of power !

Nick, Welcome to the Forum!

Your quote above perfectly describes how to determine the correct line(s). You took the rod to the river for test casting. Yes, it really is that simple. If the rod hadn't cast like a charm, you had the wrong line! If the rod feels stiff, the line is too light. If the rod feels lethargic and soggy, the line is too heavy. Any line that casts well is a correct match for your casting style under those conditions. Don't make it any more complicated than necessary.

Casting a plastic bag of pocket change isn't a fishing technique I've ever used. It isn't a good way to test fly rods either.

Tom

Post 15 Jul 2021, 18:05 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Nick LC wrote:
*I had the chance to buy the vintage reel of Tak Shimizu so I guess I’ll have to start fly tying and make his dragonfly nymph pattern very soon to see what happen down the line !

excellent - that's a real pretty outfit now, it will fish well..

the older glass rods can cast a wide range of lines. Just looking at the butt diameter my guess it it will handle a 7wt easily.. but as jgestar says if you like it with 6wt then it's a perfect 6wt ;-)

Post 17 Jul 2021, 00:16 • #30 
My question now is...can you have enought fiberglass rods ? :P
I have a Ted Williams 8wt 8'6'' coming my way, so i'll be able to cast and compare the 2 rods on the river !
Thanks to all of you taking the time to answer my questions !

Post 17 Jul 2021, 13:24 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
With gobbledygook-enhancement, that proto-inquisitive line of inquiry-based exploratory hypothesis formation, thoroughly examined from multiple paradigms, contexts, and hypothetical models that are preliminary matrices for idea generation, and not empirical, that question would make for a good PhD dissertation, assuming it weren't actually answered. No, you can't have too many of anything. Yes, you can have enough of something. Plus the fun of thinking all about fiberglass fly rods here at FFR.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply