It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:23

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Rod papers
Post 19 Oct 2018, 12:24 • #51 
Piscator
1960 Harnell, just the fly rods - I have the 31p catalog of anybody has questions on spinning or boat rods.

Post 13 Dec 2018, 08:09 • #52 
Glass Fanatic
There is a great thread on Winston, Stalker series in particular, so I linked it but also copied this great pic, courtesy of ibookje. I still haven't looked if my FFMs go back to Spring 1975 and now I can put it off a little longer:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15321

Post 21 Jul 2019, 06:16 • #53 
Master Guide
1975 Winston pricing sheet.

Post 08 Mar 2020, 23:22 • #54 
Guide
Funny (to me) to read this post today. Clearing out a few boxes from 1999, I found that my Dad kept some advertisements, pages from catalogs and all of the literature that came with his spin and baitcast reels; it was a wonderful find.

Wish he had been interested in fly fishing!

Add what your post started, I’m inspired to do the same. Really appreciate this subject and all of the interesting responses.

J. Kennedy Fisher info
Post 18 May 2021, 08:21 • #55 
I stopped by one of my rod builder friends to see if she had a tip top to fit my Fisher blank as I couldn't find a printed size anywhere. She pulled out the following two pages from her files and gave me a copy. Hopefully this may offer some help for anyone building or repairing their rods & blanks.

Last edited by whrlpool on 18 May 2021, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
Moved to Rod Papers

Post 18 May 2021, 09:03 • #56 
Glass Fanatic
Great find. Similar catalog info is also contained in this thread at post 28. Five, 5 1/2, and 6 are the most common tip top sizes for 'glass rods. If you keep a few of each on hand, you'll almost always be in business.

Post 10 Jul 2021, 02:47 • #57 
Administrator
Phantom claimed to be the oldest maker of fiberglass rods (page 11). In his Fiberglass Fly Rods book, Vic Johnson stated Mr. McGuire of Phantom was the pioneer in solid glass rod production. This 1954 Phantom catalog contains mostly tubular glass rods, including the fly rods. Phantom rods don't show up very often, nor do they have a reputation as a lost classic. Still, the catalog is interesting just to see the prevailing rod building styles. I also couldn't resist the photogram artwork on the front and back covers. The fly rods are shown on page 9.

Tom

Post 10 Jul 2021, 15:59 • #58 
Master Guide
Tom
Freddy Phantom and his two friends say Hi!

Freddy doesn’t appear in your 54 catalog but it looks like he came out in full force in 55.

Many company’s in the 50s /60s had corporate mascots.
Phantom came out with Freddy Phantom at a time when “Casper” the friendly Ghost was on the Big Screen in movie theaters/Paramount Studios cartoons 50-59 .

Both of my rods feature Freddy Phantom making them (I would hypothesize) 1955+up rods.

I would contend Phantom’s are “lost classics” that do not get their due since most who knew about or actually fished these wonderful rods are most likely not around and most definitely not on this forum...yet ..

Terrible shame that an early pioneer of glass rods has Sorta been thrown to the pile of obscurity due to lack of knowledge/history and pure ignorance/bias of what constituted a good fishing rod for its day with the technology at hand ..

These phantoms have great action and are valued members of my growing collection .

I’m a collector for sure but if it’s in my collection it
“ gets bent” on the water not just on the lawn.

If folks do not think they are worthy of collector status ..
I’d say they must be revarnishing rods in unventilated spaces..

Hopefully some more info or later catalogs and rods will start showing as the word gets out a lil more .
Thanks Again for posting your 54’ catalog.
The timeline has started..
Very nicely layed out and looks like a very quality printing.
Was it printed on gloss paper?

Very cool stuff indeed !!

Post 22 Nov 2021, 22:20 • #59 
Master Guide
Announcements in Fly Fisherman Magazine
March 1974
These 2 big changes in our beloved hobby were on opposite pages of the same magazine.

Post 03 Jun 2022, 12:13 • #60 
Sport
Picked up an unbuilt Phillipson KF70 Fly Rod kit - a 7' 6WT Red Scotch Ply - for significantly less than the auction asking price. I'm excited to build what will be my first Phillipson. I'm adding the kit's instructions to this thread for ref:

Post 11 Sep 2022, 17:26 • #61 
Guide
Does anyone have and is willing to post old Fenwick catalogs? The Fred Paddock photos seem to have disappeared.
I have found snippets from sellers on Etsy and also EBay. But that’s about all there is on the internet at the moment.
I am also curious if it is possible to upload.PDF documents. Or just images? Thanks

Post 12 Sep 2022, 01:56 • #62 
Administrator
Sorry, PDF files don't work with our photo uploader. Only JPEG, GIF, and PNG files. For photos jpeg work best. But for document scans, gif files are sharper and easier to read. PNG isn't common for what we do. A program such as IrfanView can convert PDFs into jpeg or gif files.

I have a Fenwick catalog from the mid/late 70s someplace. If I can find it, I will scan the pertinent pages for fly rods and spin rods. That would be considered of scholarly interest here (and thus fair usage). Please don't scan entire catalogs as the copyrights still belong to Fenwick/Pure Fishing.

Tom

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply