It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:45

New Topic Add Reply
Wonderod Derby Prize
Post 19 Feb 2024, 16:37 • #1 
Guide
Each year our Church host an ice fishing derby at near by Knik lake. They get 30-50 folks to show up each year and they’re fishing for stocked Rainbows. Typically something in the 12 inch range wins the prize but they all have fun. One year no one caught a fish! It’s more about the journey.
It’s set up like most with some trophy’s for different age groups and fish sizes etc.

I decided to spice it up a bit and put together some Vintage Blue Collar tackle and need to come up with a category that will determine a new owner?

Shakespeare Wonderod 8’8” FY-700 and a Lake City 77 both appear to be close to “un-fished”. I spooled the “77” with a new WF-7F line too. This get-up will be perfect for “harvesting” anything up to the local Red’s and Silvers.
I’m hoping it ends up in someones hands that will appreciate the nostalgia; whether they catch any fish or not!

Re: Wonderod Derby Prize
Post 20 Feb 2024, 09:03 • #2 
Master Guide
Thats a nice reel to balance out the nice rod !

Post 20 Feb 2024, 09:40 • #3 
Guide
Good looking combo there.

Post 20 Feb 2024, 10:35 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Biggest trout caught with a fiberglass ice-fishing rod?

Post 20 Feb 2024, 13:13 • #5 
Piscator
With the exception of the model dates, that pretty much matches my first fly rod combo from 16-y-o.
Differences, my Shakespeare rod had the faux-bamboo look, and my O/C reel was the Berkley version (supplied then by TrueTemper)
No fond memories of either, though I learned and caught fish.
My next combo made up for it, Orvis Green Mountain starter kit, with 7'6" Fullflex A and Orvis 1914 (Martin).

Post 04 Apr 2024, 01:07 • #6 
Guide
I settled on an “essay” to determine a winner. I limited it to kids from 9 to 19 and ask them to use their imagination and tell me a story detailing why they’d like a fly rod. Told them to make me laugh, make me cry; put some heart into it. Told them “if they ain’t got much book learning” that don’t matter to me, this isn’t a school assignment. Told them the more it sounded like Tom Sawyer wrote it, the better their chance to win!

The response has been good and i’ll pick one in another week or so. I’m putting together a nice box of flies ive tied to get em going. This has been a lot of fun for me too and i’m thinking it could become an annual event?

Post 04 Apr 2024, 11:28 • #7 
Sport
You're a good man, Charlie Brown!

If copyright allows, would love to read some of the essays.

Post 15 Apr 2024, 01:43 • #8 
Guide
The rod shown went to an AVID young fellow who was thrilled to received it. We spent some time today going over the gear and I'm certain he’ll do well!
The only other participant is a little older and had a better story so i pulled together a Cortland 5/6 wt. Graphite and a tiny Youngs Pridex reel which i loaded a #5dt onto. He was excited as well, hopefully it’ll stick with both of them?

I had a lot of fun with it.

New Topic Add Reply