It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:57

New Topic Add Reply
Fishing Cicadas
Post 28 Jan 2024, 10:18 • #1 
Guide
Greetings everyone,

So I have read through several reports stating that this might be a banner year for cicadas especially in the Midwest. Has anyone fished cicada patterns, or had success fishing while imitating this insect? What does your setup look like when fishing this? I would assume it would be a similar leader setup used for fishing poppers to bass or bigger stoneflies for trout. What flies do you uses? Do fly patterns need to float high on the surface or sort of sit in the meniscus with spent wings? I have read the nymphal stage is mainly under ground, so that may not bear relevance in a fishing situation. Thanks in advance for your responses. I cant wait to glean some wisdom off of those who have fished this insect.

Mike

Re: Fishing Cicadas
Post 29 Jan 2024, 05:59 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
All I can tell you is take the emergence maps with a HUGE grain of salt because in my experience with two broods, you can have huge numbers in one area and absolutely nothing a mile or so down the road because they re-emerge where they emerged last. Migration is NOT their strong suit.

In my case with the last emergence which was Brood X, my property was inundated, the noise was deafening and at all of the closest places I fish... dead silence and no cicadas.

True story:

Back in 2004 during one Brood X emergence there were NO cicadas at my former residence but a gazillion at a local Enterprise Car Rental I used for business about 5 miles away. After dropping off a car one day I grabbed 3 cicadas, put them on my passenger seat and dove back home.

I sat them on my tying bench where they politely stayed put and I fabricated imitations using sheet black foam, red plastic bead eyes and orange tinted Crystal Flash for a wing. After posing for me, I released the cicadas in my back yard.

BUT - Even though I had my imitations ready, I NEVER encountered a single cicada at any place I fished despite what the emergence maps showed...

Moral of the story, keep your creations simple in case the same thing happens to you. ;)

Post 29 Jan 2024, 09:54 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
17 years ago I was not fly fishing as much but I was fishing a lot.The hatch was epic on the south side of Chicago and surrounding suburbs. Took my sons to some local ponds and small lakes.Every fish ,even catfish and bullhead were feasting on the surface.If a BOW was built more recently such as a retention pond etc.There may be no cicadas.They live in tree roots until they emerge.So you need an area where the trees are more than17 years old.

Post 29 Jan 2024, 14:24 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Actually you need to find THE trees WHERE they emerged before...

During the last Brood X emergence in the area where I live you only had to drive an 1/8 of a mile from my property and there was nothing.

It is INCREDIBLY spotty within a region so if you find them where you fish, consider yourself lucky and go back to that same spot in 17 years... ;)

Post 29 Jan 2024, 15:21 • #5 
Guide
If you are looking for a simple cicada tie, try AZ Foam Cicada found on Youtube. Pattern is from New Mexico if I remember right. I tied some on #10 hook either black or green foam sheet for the body, sili legs: barred olive green for legs, yellow booby eyes which I colored red(could not find red). The black ones have worked better for me than the green. You could vary the colors to better match the cicadas in your area.

I have fished them for brown trout in a small lake. You can fish them blind but your catch rate goes up if you can fire a cast within a few feet of a rise. A nice "splat" is helpful as long it is not too close. A nice, warm, sunny, windy day is best, as the cicadas are more active then and blown on to the water. Once the fish are keyed in on them, a fly will take them even a couple weeks after the actual insect is gone. Once they are on the water, they float flush and are not getting back off the water. So with trout, at least, on still water the takes are rather subtle considering the size of the fly. If fishing blind, would think a sporadic short movement of the fly to attract any nearby fish.

I would think panfish and bass would gobble them up whether there was a cicada hatch or not. I can remember as a kid in PA using the occasional annual one we caught or found for bait, they are pretty hard to catch.

Post 29 Jan 2024, 22:23 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
A lot of local hype but ours is i believe is the largest.The local wildlife folks are saying billions.This will be the 4th time i will witness this.I remember which lakes had them on every shoreline tree bush etc.I catch bass ,lots of them every season.I will be concentrating on some old quarries that have lots of big carp.Hopefully they will be less cautious and might get some big ones on flies.We did catch several on live cicadas 17 years ago.Also some good sized catfish.Of course we have the yearly ones that make a lot of noise all summer but they get high in the trees and live for more than a month.Looking forward to May ,even if i don't catch a lot of fish it sure is something to see.

Post 30 Jan 2024, 00:15 • #7 
Master Guide
Now you just need some 18 to 20 year old fish that remember the last epic emergence!

Post 30 Jan 2024, 09:08 • #8 
Sport
I have a lot of cicadas here in Arizona.seems like they hatch in different numbers and different places every year. Any big black foam fly will suffice when the fish get reckless. Also I’ve had great success on dark girdle bugs right when they smack the water. Don’t be afraid to give they fly some action like a dying cicada. Good luck out there, I’d love to see pics

Post 30 Jan 2024, 12:30 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
WCBlakeslee:

If you are seeing them every year you are probably seeing the "Dogday" or annual cicadas which are larger and around every year versus the periodical cicadas which are smaller and emerge in huge numbers every 13 or 17 years.

The patterns for either are interchangeable even though the annual cicadas are larger because fish don't get particularly selective when a bug that big drops in the water... ;)

Post 30 Jan 2024, 13:05 • #10 
Master Guide
Sometime around 2004-5, a buddy and I went to Carvins Cove near Roanoke, Virginia in mid-May & launched our kayaks. The cove is a county water supply reservoir and is shaped like a bowl with steep hillsides covered with hardwood trees right down to the water's edge. The cove was roaring with the song of millions of the 17-year Cicadas that were literally falling out of the sky into the bed of my pick up as we prepped gear. I picked one up and compared it to the contents of my fly box and selected a #4 foam cicada pattern designed by noted Virginia tier Harrison Steeves. We launched and in the first hour, I caught 15 to 20 fish on the Steeves Cicada, a mix of bluegill, LGM bass and a couple of carp in the 8-pound range, who would stand on their tails to eat the big bugs. My buddy paddled up & took this picture of me battling a big carp on a Fenwick FF807. I told him of my success with the big dry & asked how'd you do? "Got 3 follows on a streamer," he replied. Cicadas falling on our heads and the dude chooses a streamer! True story. I swear. Oh, and my buddy has a Ph.D. from an Ivy League school.

Last edited by Yeti on 30 Jan 2024, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

Post 30 Jan 2024, 15:58 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Great story. I remember their song fondly from having grown up back east, but was not a fly fisher then.

We have a number of annual cicada species out here, but they are not nearly as numerous, and they don't sing loudly.

Post 31 Jan 2024, 08:43 • #12 
Guide
Great story Yeti! Thanks to everyone for there input and advice. I did happen upon a book called Cicada Madness that walks through a little bit of the life cycle, fly patterns, and technique. This could be an interesting experiment!

Post 31 Jan 2024, 11:20 • #13 
Guide
I stand ready and hopeful with size 8 Granato's Chubby Muffin Cicadas

Post 31 Jan 2024, 11:30 • #14 
Master Guide

Did pretty good during BroodX in 21.

The Rainey’s cicada was very effective
I also did well with the yellow and black cabelas cicada

We’re supposed to get some of this brood in southern Maryland so I’ve got my cicada rod on standby

Tight lines in 24
Scotto Otter

Post 01 Feb 2024, 11:07 • #15 
Guide
I caught a few on Rainy’s cicada imitation last year. I saw a few shells on the tree I dropped my gear off at and figured I’d give it a shot. Same spot fishes well with chubby Chernobyl ants.

Post 01 Feb 2024, 14:18 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
the hersh wrote:
A lot of local hype but ours is i believe is the largest.The local wildlife folks are saying billions.This will be the 4th time i will witness this.I remember which lakes had them on every shoreline tree bush etc.I catch bass ,lots of them every season.I will be concentrating on some old quarries that have lots of big carp.Hopefully they will be less cautious and might get some big ones on flies.We did catch several on live cicadas 17 years ago..

ok wow. Have you had cicada patterns in your flyboxes for 17 years now ? ;-)

best of luck on the carp, that could be tremendous - big carp on the dry fly..

I carried salmonfly patterns for twenty years, before actually finding a hatch..

Post 03 Feb 2024, 22:55 • #17 
Sport
Just a few years ago, we had a huge blight of those things and so I got all excited and tied up several nice cicada patterns and yet, I had only a very mediocre response to my flies at best. I have no idea why they weren't more productive.

New Topic Add Reply