It is currently 02 Mar 2024, 02:53

New Topic Add Reply
Wading Staff?
Post 12 Nov 2023, 11:31 • #1 
Presently looking to replace my old and tired wading staff. Although it was decent quality when new, over the years I've had the elastic cord which holds the sections together weaken after a couple years of use, causing it to pull apart midstream. Being the cord is difficult to replace, this has led me to purchase another every few years and the time has come again.

See that SImms now makes one with coated stainless steel cable that locks together which would appear to eliminate this problem. In shopping around, I see that Maxcatch also makes a similar model that doesn't look as nice but is about a fourth the price.

Does anyone have experience with either and can you comment on your experience.

Thanks

Re: Wading Staff?
Post 12 Nov 2023, 11:48 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Do a search for wading staff. This topic was discussed at length some time earlier.

Post 12 Nov 2023, 11:53 • #3 
Guide
In my opinion, nothing beats a rake handle DIY for longevity and sturdiness. For a collapsible store bought example I like Orvis's offering.

Post 12 Nov 2023, 12:17 • #4 
Must be doing something wrong. went back on a search with nothing specifically answering my question?

Post 12 Nov 2023, 12:27 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Curious George wrote:
Presently looking to replace my old and tired wading staff. Although it was decent quality when new, over the years I've had the elastic cord which holds the sections together weaken after a couple years of use, causing it to pull apart midstream. Being the cord is difficult to replace, this has led me to purchase another every few years and the time has come again.

See that SImms now makes one with coated stainless steel cable that locks together which would appear to eliminate this problem. In shopping around, I see that Maxcatch also makes a similar model that doesn't look as nice but is about a fourth the price.

Does anyone have experience with either and can you comment on your experience.

Thanks

I am a Folstaf user for a lot of reasons. The biggest advantage to shock cord wading staffs is they don't take two hands to deploy like the Simms. They are also usually half the length when collapsed.

I have a Simms and personally don't like having a 24" scabbard at my side. It also isn't as sturdy as my Folstaf.

That being said, IF you have a real Folstaf, you can still get the shock cord replaced even though the staffs are no longer made. If that is an option, going forward DON'T store it long term in a hot car trunk or folded up.

Avoiding both will extend the life of the shock cord many years...

Two other options non-shock cord options I like better than Simms:

The REC Magnastaff and the Orvis Ripcord also made by REC for Orvis.

The Orvis requires two hands to deploy and the REC is trickier to fold up but both are sturdy, made in the USA and shorter folded up than the Simms.

Good luck!!

Last edited by Bamboozle on 13 Nov 2023, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.

Post 12 Nov 2023, 13:54 • #6 
Sport
I have the Simms and it has performed well for many years. My only observation is you have to be watchful of the spring-loaded little ball that engages and keeps the pieces connected. Keep it clean (I keep a little lithium grease on mine) and it's hassle free.

Post 12 Nov 2023, 18:24 • #7 
Master Guide
FWIW, Folstaf closed up shop after 52+ years in business. I have found my Folstaf to be bomber and also sometimes a pain to take apart - I guess I should wax the joints more (like my own these days). There may still be a few out there at retail shops, so grab one quick if you want it and can find it....

Post 12 Nov 2023, 20:19 • #8 
Master Guide
cappy wrote:
In my opinion, nothing beats a rake handle DIY for longevity and sturdiness. For a collapsible store bought example I like Orvis's offering.
+1 on the rake handle just drill a hole in it and secure a cord & clip in it like the store-bought ones. Being wood, they’re a LOT quieter.

Post 12 Nov 2023, 20:25 • #9 
Sport
This is an interesting read, maybe another option.

https://troutbitten.com/2022/06/01/vide ... ing-staff/

Post 13 Nov 2023, 06:18 • #10 
Sport
G'Day,
My wading staff is a hollow aluminium/aluminum ski pole that I got from a thrift shop. I added a rubber tip but taped it on with a heap of plastic electricians tape, after losing a few tips in mud. Cheap but it works for me. Being hollow it floats behind me when not held in my left hand.
Cheers,
Steve

Post 13 Nov 2023, 08:32 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
A broken graphite fly rod, butt section, 7 weight or more.

Yes, that is a stupid joke. Although the search strategy may turn up some info, FFR in its topic-based sections, doesn't typically cover generic fishing questions. Unless there were wading staffs unique to or custom made for fishing with fiberglass fly rods, equipment questions are better addressed on any fly-fishing site. Trying to cover them here leads to discussion and new posts that get farther and farther off topic--and beyond the scope of moderating and editing interest.

We do have a section for members with 25 posts or more where wider ranging discussion and generic fly fishing topics are discussed. Plenty of experienced anglers to give wider ranging info than on fiberglass fly rods to meet in that section.

That's where the OP will want to look after more posts and participation in FFR.

Often I spot questions like this before the discussion gets going and send the OP suggested revisions or ways to post the interest differently. Too late for that now, so in appreciation of answers already provided, the thread will continue.

This is an exception, though, so please remember, on-topic posts or general points in the section reserved for FFR members with 25 posts or more.

Post 13 Nov 2023, 08:57 • #12 
Appreciate the input and suggestions.

Post 26 Nov 2023, 10:08 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I took my Folstaff apart.(I forgot how I did it.Old age.)I tied a knot in the cord and it tightened it up.I couldnt get mine apart without a lot of effort.Then someone told me to just give it a knock on a rock and it will loosen up.It worked.Duhh. :)

Post 27 Nov 2023, 21:00 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I use a lightweight adjustable hiking staff. I keep it adjusted for my hike in, then tie it to my belt with about 18" of cord. Like that I can drop it whenever I want to while fishing and it stays close but not in the way. It is easy to reach down, pick up the string, and get the staff in my hand. It does occasionally hang up as I drag it along behind me but it works pretty well for the waters I fish.

With it being adjustable, I can shorten it and get it completely out of the way on my pack when I don't need it.

New Topic Add Reply